Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 11:50 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
you da man..... no one ever wanted to believe in something.... something so... out there that it can't be true or could it?

I got my point across made you look. Now what do you do with this information is your call... the best thing you can do is Hold class and tell everyone some crazy guy made you look and you don't believe and they will either laugh or say... I seen that stuff in the sky... I never knew it as chemtrails... Inquiring minds wanna know...

Piece out...
It's (it is) actually "Peace Out." Unless you were using the word (piece) as a play on "homophone."

Old 12-20-2014, 04:20 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
My lovely bride and I had a small coffee shop for a couple of years. Served only organic, fair trade, shade grown coffee. Never did our own roasting. Also sold Kona beans from Kona Cloud. And Raven's Brew, roasted in Alaska. It was all good.

Many years ago an old timer told me "the worst I ever had was wonderful". But maybe he wasn't talking about coffee.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:28 PM

749 posts, read 852,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
My lovely bride and I had a small coffee shop for a couple of years. Served only organic, fair trade, shade grown coffee. Never did our own roasting. Also sold Kona beans from Kona Cloud. And Raven's Brew, roasted in Alaska. It was all good.

Many years ago an old timer told me "the worst I ever had was wonderful". But maybe he wasn't talking about coffee.
The Fair Trade part is what got Starbucks on my sh*t list many years ago so this company investing money to join with Monsanto and Dow Chem against GMO labeling is not a huge surprise.

Today Starbucks makes a big deal about using only fair trade coffee but in the 1980's they were pigs in the 3rd world so who knows why they fear labeling so much, what are they putting in their coffee??

Old 12-22-2014, 10:38 PM

834 posts, read 1,217,712 times
Starbucks is not really in the coffee business--more like sugar and milk. That's where their profit margins are: Cheap sugar and milk sold with a huge markup. Syrups, caramels, whipped creams, cookies: Those are packed with GMO and growth hormones. With the critical clientele they currently have they would need to install a second GMO-free parallel system in their stores if mandatory labeling would get implemented. Costs would go up, volume down, labor costs higher, profits down, share price down. That's why they are against it.

BUT if they would be smart they would innovate and follow the consumers demand and let the competitors in the dust by doing exactly that: Becoming the first coffee chain either GMO labeled or GMO free. It would build trust in the brand and they would reconquer their position as beloved brand and business leader they once were.

Worse than Starbucks, the fast food chains losing popularity by the month. Many franchisees haven't made a dime in profit for years. Subway started a healthy trend and they succeed in this environment. A healthy McDonalds flagship store selling quick, nutritious, food labeled along consumer desire? Starting in college vicinity and airports. I would drop money on their stock in an instant!

Old 12-23-2014, 11:05 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Starbucks is not really in the coffee business--more like sugar and milk. That's where their profit margins are: Cheap sugar and milk sold with a huge markup.
As the largest coffeehouse operator in the world... 21,160 stores as of Nov 27, 2014... which sold 773 Million pounds of coffee... it's ludicrous to say Starbucks is not in the coffee business.

And with the price of a 16 oz. Grande brewed coffee retailing for an average of $2.10, while the cost of the coffee used to brew that cup is about 22 cents, it should be obvious that the markup on a cup of coffee is higher than most retail products on the market. And unless they've changed something since the last time I set foot in a Starbucks store, maybe 6 years ago, the sugar and milk or cream they put out for customers to add to their coffee is still free. In other words, it is a cost item, which draws down the markup for the beverage.

And to be absolutely clear, Starbucks coffee is not GMO. Actually, nobody's coffee is. The only GMO coffee that can be found in the whole world is at research facilities. None had been approved for sale anywhere.

Oh, and the soymilk Starbucks serves has been Organic, hence GMO free, for at least a dozen years. And Organic dairy milk is available on request at most locations. If you think it makes a difference, you should be willing to pay the additional cost, rather than burdening everyone with an extra cost for something they don't really care that much about.

So that gets us down to the sugar and the regular dairy milk, neither of which they sell in large quantities on their own, but include as additions to their coffee or tea drinks. Sure, when included in a premium beverage like a latte they get marked up as part of the total price for the drink. But sugar is sugar, really, and cheap vs expensive sugar... which are chemically identical and virtually indistinguishable... is mostly an item of food snobbery.

I'm not a big fan of Starbucks, but I do believe in fairness, and telling the truth, rather than tarring a company with half-truths, lies, and innuendo. If you don't like their products, for whatever reason, don't buy them. It's that simple.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:27 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
Default Kona Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Isnt it funny alot of people in hawaii are drinking starbucks coffee, but i just love kona blend coffee. But its difficult to find a true blend that isnt mixed with something.

HbH - when we had our coffee shop here in Florida, we bought 100% Kona beans from Kona Cloud - they ship the beans unroasted to the mainland and then roast as they ship. About $15 or so for half pound. Not a blend - 100% Kona beans. They have a web site.

Mahalo.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:46 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
HbH - when we had our coffee shop here in Florida, we bought 100% Kona beans from Kona Cloud - they ship the beans unroasted to the mainland and then roast as they ship. About $15 or so for half pound. Not a blend - 100% Kona beans. They have a web site.

Mahalo.
Hoot, you're going to love it here in Ka'u. We buy our coffee direct from the growers, and there are many different small growers to choose from. We buy at the farmers market in Na'alehu, and you could also go visit the Coffee Mill in Pahala.

One of the local "coffee shops" is a truck parked on the side of the road in Na'alehu three days a week. She serves espresso, latte, etc. all made from coffe grown by one of our neighbors in Discovery Harbour. There's also a delightful place on South Point Road adjacent to the orchid greenhouse.

Can you tell we love it here?

Old 12-23-2014, 01:45 PM

834 posts, read 1,217,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
...fairness, and telling the truth, rather than tarring a company with half-truths, lies, and innuendo. If you don't like their products, for whatever reason, don't buy them. It's that simple...
Here is the grand lecturer again. Nit picking and calling other posters liars. Just because he has a different view of issues.

Ever had a a caramel frappuccino latte? Pumpkin Spice latte? Macchiatos? These are some of Starbucks most popular drinks. Packed with calories and cream and sugar. Cookies go with them--of course they all have GMO sugars and rBGH milk in them. Yes, indeed--they serve green tea as well but it doesn't drive the business.

Sugar and milk is free? Yes, for the bum who comes in to warm up and steals a few packs. Otherwise it's all built into the customers payments. Including the electric and the water to flush the toilet.

Don't nitpick. You tell me a business that makes money by selling purely hot black coffee out of a van.

Nobody says Starbucks coffee would be GMO. Unneeded addition which supports the notion of being a know-it-all.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Here is the grand lecturer again. Nit picking and calling other posters liars. Just because he has a different view of issues.
And here you are again, attacking me personally instead of sticking to the issues.

Quote:
Ever had a a caramel frappuccino latte? Pumpkin Spice latte? Macchiatos? These are some of Starbucks most popular drinks. Packed with calories and cream and sugar.
Personally, no. Not my cup of tea.

But isn't it great that we live in America, where I'm not forced to buy anything I don't want to. I vote with my wallet every day, and I don't worry about what other people are doing with their money.

Quote:
Cookies go with them--of course they all have GMO sugars and rBGH milk in them. Yes, indeed--they serve green tea as well but it doesn't drive the business.
So what if they do? Obviously a lot of other people are not concerned with your superstitions, or they wouldn't be spending their money there...at Starbucks 21,160 +- stores.

Quote:
Sugar and milk is free? Yes, for the bum who comes in to warm up and steals a few packs. Otherwise it's all built into the customers payments. Including the electric and the water to flush the toilet.
Don't be disingenuous. You said milk and sugar were the highest markup items ar Starbucks, and I accurately pointed out in rebuttal that in terms of ordinary coffee amenities, sugar and milk are a cost, not a profit center. And I personally drink my coffee black, thanks.

Quote:
Don't nitpick.
Don't make personal comments.

Quote:
You tell me a business that makes money by selling purely hot black coffee out of a van.
What does that have to do with anything?

Quote:
Nobody says Starbucks coffee would be GMO. Unneeded addition which supports the notion of being a know-it-all.
Another personal comment... still prohibited by the TOS.

I have a commitment to accuracy. Attention to details is important. If you don't like what I have to say, you are completely free to ignore my posts.

Starbucks is a giant among coffee sellers, largest in the world, and from what I've seen they are sensitive to customer requests. But that doesn't mean they ever can or will please everyone or will just roll over to every whim and fad. And it also doesn't mean that all their customers are willing to pay more for fair-trade or gluten free or non-GMO or whatever the issue du jour is.

All those survey statistics you posted are essentially meaningless when it comes to the checkout line, as many researchers have found out. In the abstract lots and lots and lots of people say they are against GMOs and for GMO labelling, until you ask how much more they are willing to pay for all their food in order for that to happen? 10% extra? 20%? More? It actually turns out people mostly want that stuff as long as it won't cost extra. It isn't what I would call a deep commitment.

You can easily see it in the supermarket... there's a section for organic milk, yes, at a higher price than conventional milk, and some people buy it, but let's be honest... most people don't. What if that minority of customers who do buy iy demanded that the supermarket stopped carrying anything but organic milk? Inconceivable, right? Forcing their will on others? Yet that's the equivalent of what your complaint about Starbucks seeks to do... to force the company and all their customers to comply to your ideology.

Personally I'm for Freedom of Choice.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:01 PM

749 posts, read 852,769 times
Quote:
Starbucks is not really in the coffee business--more like sugar and milk. That's where their profit margins are: Cheap sugar and milk sold with a huge markup. Syrups, caramels, whipped creams, cookies: Those are packed with GMO and growth hormones. With the critical clientele they currently have they would need to install a second GMO-free parallel system in their stores if mandatory labeling would get implemented. Costs would go up, volume down, labor costs higher, profits down, share price down. That's why they are against it.

BUT if they would be smart they would innovate and follow the consumers demand and let the competitors in the dust by doing exactly that: Becoming the first coffee chain either GMO labeled or GMO free. It would build trust in the brand and they would reconquer their position as beloved brand and business leader they once were.

Worse than Starbucks, the fast food chains losing popularity by the month. Many franchisees haven't made a dime in profit for years. Subway started a healthy trend and they succeed in this environment. A healthy McDonalds flagship store selling quick, nutritious, food labeled along consumer desire? Starting in college vicinity and airports. I would drop money on their stock in an instant!
That sounds about right and I agree too that fast food chains in general are losing popularity as more people are trying to eat healthier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: