Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 05:16 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,660 times

Advertisements

I live in a small town that is virtually crime free in northeast Tennessee. I guess I never considered that there was this amount of crime and unrest in Hawaii. Reading this certainly makes me take a more loving look at this beautiful region of the southern Appalachians where I live. I certainly hope the situation improves there. I was reading some of your threads with thoughts of a visit in mind. Good luck to all.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:42 PM

21 posts, read 154,564 times
Default Give me a break!

Hawaii is the "United States". this means that we are all equal. One thing I do know is that any time you move into a small town, etc, you do have to go with the wind. You don't move some where to change it, you move there to enjoy the culture and the wonderful people that made it that way. Helloooooo! Crime is everywhere, you just have to make sure you know the places that are safe and the ones you don't want to go into.....New York, San Fran, Chicago, Las Vegas.......people, get out there and live....life is short and be the best neighbor, loving mom and dad and enjoy and love your pets........what else is there..........
I lived in Kaneo Bay when i was a kid and my sister and I took Hula lessons and the locals loved us. We even went to the Hula Bowl. Wish I still had all my instruments.

My husband and I are moving to Kauai in 2 years and we plan on spending our "golden years in the warmth and beauty of this Island.

Hope this helps any one else that would like to move to the Islands.
kcsride

Old 01-14-2008, 11:23 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha717200 View Post
On another forum, someone wrote this to me. Would you say this is accurate?
Hmmm. Have to git a bit of a giggle over all the "haole" go home" stuff. Whatever! I have been around Native Americans's (they still call themselves American Indians, by the way) my whole life. Good friends and good times still bein' had! Oh sure.. we have our jokes bout Custer had it Comin' Eh Heh ...Not that far...( if you don;t get it you gotta have been there) I've been called ****** , white bread, cracker and pecker wood, ( never by Indians) Washichue, white eye, bluecoat and a few others by Indians...( All friends of mine) Lol ...just never call me late fer supper! "Haole"....gimme a break! Been raked over the coals ( literally) just makin' friends. Given as good as I got..and we still all share a fire at hunting camp. .....Go figger. Whats wrong with us?....don't we know we's supposed to hate each other? Hmmm....that news never got out this far I reckon. Pass the jug and stoke the fire .....The Sun will rise tomorow....yah te heh (aloha) to all!

Old 01-15-2008, 12:27 AM

10 posts, read 107,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berus View Post
Having just posted a question of my own about my upcoming move to Oahu in another thread on this board, I found this thread very interesting.

A bit about me - I am caucasian (British family heritage), and currently live in San Francisco. San Francisco, as most of you know, is an intense mix of every race and ethnicity you can imagine. Racism just wouldn't work here. More importantly, any sort of racism does more harm to the racist than to the target of the racist behavior. ANY sort of racism is equated with stupidity and ignorance. That's just how things are in San Francisco.

What I've read in this thread is interesting to me because it sounds as though there is a great deal of anti-white racism among certain of Hawaii's residents. The above rant which contained the phrases "shut up haole" and "go home haole". Literally made me laugh. First of all... I have a news flash: Hawaii is a state. As Americans of ANY color or ethnic persuasion, none of us have to "shut up" or "go home". As Americans, ALL of America, be it Hawaii, New York, Alaska, or Florida IS our "home". Secondly, don't call me a "haole". It's meant in a disrespectful, racist manner, and as such, it has no place in any dialogue between fellow Americans.

If I want to move to Hawaii because I like Hawaii, I will.

No ignorant, backward, racist philosophy or ranting will prevent me from doing so.

While I will take practical precautions against being victimized by racism, (such as not moving into a neighborhood known to be hostile to causcasians), I will not be frightened out of my plans to move by any sort of racist rant. Frankly, I just find it amazing that in the year 2008, there is still dialogue in which people of a certain color or ethnicity are being "warned" not to move to a state in the USA. That is nothing more than racist coercion. It's just absurd. Worry less about the color of people's skin, and more about the color of the earth - namely, keeping it green.

I love Hawaii. I'm moving to Hawaii. I intend to be very happy - probably much happier than anyone who is concerning themselves with some sort of racial agenda.

My advice - ignore the racists - whatever color you are.

---Berus

I admire your spirit. I've always had a desire to be friends with those around me, so in my case, other peoples' opinions have mattered a bit more and sometimes gotten to me more than I'd like.

At any rate, on that other forum, the person who posted that quote earlier conceded that I might not experience racism every day or even every month, which makes me feel a bit better about it.

But someone mentioned "beat up haole" days in Hawaii, where local kids go out and target haole kids with violence. Has anyone else seen or heard of this? What is being done?

Old 01-15-2008, 02:35 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
No, they don't have "beat up haole kids days" over here anymore. They now just take the haole kid, tie them to the back of their pickup truck with a length of rope, and drag them around town until they're dead. Oh, wait a second, that happened on the mainland, and it was white guys killing a black man. Sorry, guess I got my "facts" confused.............. Give it a rest already..

Aloha and ha awi mai imaha

Old 01-15-2008, 08:54 AM

115 posts, read 471,435 times
I aggree Jung, people tend to blow things out of proportion more when angry about something.

In most cases you get what you give, I don't look at it like we are americans but as we are humans and if you have a good soul and heart and treat others with respect you will get respect back.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 5,374 times
I have lived off and on in Hawaii. My son currently lives there but he is also part Hawaiian. Even though most of his life was spent here on the mainland, he had no trouble finding a job within two days of moving there, whereby he couldn't find one on the mainland. But that's a whole different story. I am caucasian but didn't have any problems getting along with the locals. I tried to not act as if I was above everyone else and the people of Hawaii appreciate that. I remember going to school and some of us would not go to school on the last day which is called "Kill Haole Day". I never had any issues and went to school. Of course that was a long time ago. Also, the mention that it is a state of the union. There is a movement amongst some of the locals that they are trying to separate from the union (which of course will not happen) because of the underhanded way that it became a state. That is where the idiot said "Go Home Haole". It is a beautiful state in which to live but way too expensive. The cost of living there is so unbalanced compared to the income level. I've decided that it is not worth it. But if you decide to move, I would just stay away from areas like Nanikuli and Waianae. Well, I think I'm just rambling now.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:48 PM

850 posts, read 4,363,625 times
yes, many hawaiians, not just "some of the locals" are "trying to separate from the union." IMO this won't happen in my lifetime due to the unwillingness of kanaka maoli (native hawaiians) to ho'olokahi (bring about unity; to make peace and unity; to be in agreement).

also, while racism does exist here and everywhere else in this country, it pales in comparison to neo-nazism, white supremacy or the kkk. haven't you already heard, "pork is the other white meat"? "kill haole day" is a phrase i haven't heard in a very, very long time.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:32 PM

10 posts, read 107,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
No, they don't have "beat up haole kids days" over here anymore. They now just take the haole kid, tie them to the back of their pickup truck with a length of rope, and drag them around town until they're dead. Oh, wait a second, that happened on the mainland, and it was white guys killing a black man. Sorry, guess I got my "facts" confused.............. Give it a rest already..

Aloha and ha awi mai imaha
Allow me to clarify....

I'm not angry about this issue, and I'm not trying to spread ill will by asking these questions. I ask because I've heard them talked about and I'm trying to find out the facts. I don't want to jump to conclusions or be afraid of something that may not exist, or only exist among a small segment of the population.

My wife and I plan to have kids, and we'll probably have them in Hawaii. I'm doing the responsible thing of making sure that we've found a good environment before we jump into this, and I also want to make sure that we will be able to be happy there as well.

Sorry for any confusion.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:32 AM

115 posts, read 471,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha717200 View Post
Allow me to clarify....

I'm not angry about this issue, and I'm not trying to spread ill will by asking these questions. I ask because I've heard them talked about and I'm trying to find out the facts. I don't want to jump to conclusions or be afraid of something that may not exist, or only exist among a small segment of the population.

My wife and I plan to have kids, and we'll probably have them in Hawaii. I'm doing the responsible thing of making sure that we've found a good environment before we jump into this, and I also want to make sure that we will be able to be happy there as well.

Sorry for any confusion.
You asked valid questions and I think that Jung was just trying to make a point. We have racism everywhere in the world with some countries and their ethnic cleansing still going on today. Hawaii is going to be what you make of it and yes you may have some give you stink eye while others have open arms.

Go there and live a good life, learn a little culture from the islands and raise your kids. I don't look at a person and see color I see the person as long as I know I have treated others as I want to be treated myself I've done my part. If others do not want to be freinds then there is not much more I can do about that and go on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii