Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 03:48 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

Any place you can afford is going to have high crime, and be in poor neighborhoods with immigrants.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 04:29 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Well, you are upsetting some feathers. I'm a regular poster and I never mention homelessness and public assistance. I'm just trying to help some of the people see what living on a small rock in the middle of the ocean can be like, especially those who don't know how much more expensive it can be.

Where I live on the Big Island there is a lot of poverty. I see people struggling to make ends meet on a daily basis. Part of the reason for the poverty is that there are very few jobs available. Add that to the high cost of food, utilities, and gas, and I do see what this does to quality of life of many of my friends. That's why I don't encourage others to come unless they have a good idea of what they are getting into.

Please explain what you mean by “our home was built on the backs of the poor”.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:36 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,108,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHWarrior View Post
If I may comment without upsetting any feathers? I don't believe your message is wrong D.O.H. Yes our home is the most expensive if not one of the top five most expensive in the country. It should be mentioned. But often it appears that this is the top and only message to not move here from some regulars on the forum followed by the words homelessness and public assistance. Granted we don't want no more homeless and yes we are taxed to death here. But the message can be taken that poor people are not welcome by members of CDF Hawai'i which would be a shame since our home was built on the backs of the poor. Further, there are lot of good reasons to not move to Hawai'i besides being poor. How about what can someone bring to our home that can benefit everyone instead of what can they get. We have plenty of takers and just money makers and that might be why things are out of hand here.
I don't mind poor people. Just not lazy non-contributing citizens. OP's girlfriend wants to live in a safe neighborhood but doesn't want to contribute financially to allow them to reside in a neighborhood with less crime. With the OP's woefully inadequate savings, pay scale and and a non-contributing girlfriend, they will end up in Nanakuli with little to no improvement in terms of crime. And they will be spending a ton more on COL to boot.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:46 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
With the OP's woefully inadequate savings, pay scale and and a non-contributing girlfriend, they will end up in Nanakuli with little to no improvement in terms of crime. And they will be spending a ton more on COL to boot.
Kind of doubt Nanakuli. But they can't afford to get to California, let alone those last 2400 miles.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 842 times
Hello everyone I hope not to offend anyone with my question. Here we go !!!
I am from spain and I want to move to Hawaii. I don't need to work anymore.
It's possible to live in the USA without changing my nationality ????

Old 12-22-2015, 09:28 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Well, you are upsetting some feathers. I'm a regular poster and I never mention homelessness and public assistance. I'm just trying to help some of the people see what living on a small rock in the middle of the ocean can be like, especially those who don't know how much more expensive it can be.

Where I live on the Big Island there is a lot of poverty. I see people struggling to make ends meet on a daily basis. Part of the reason for the poverty is that there are very few jobs available. Add that to the high cost of food, utilities, and gas, and I do see what this does to quality of life of many of my friends. That's why I don't encourage others to come unless they have a good idea of what they are getting into.

Please explain what you mean by “our home was built on the backs of the poor”.
Just for the sake of clarity.
West Hawaii unemployment rate is hovering at just over 4%. I have been hiring for employees non-stop for the last 3 months. The job market is about the best it has been in about 15 years (according to other HR professionals). Now, good paying jobs may still be a bit more rare, but there is currently no shortage of jobs paying $11-15 an hour.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:25 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani_loco View Post
Hello everyone I hope not to offend anyone with my question. Here we go !!!
I am from spain and I want to move to Hawaii. I don't need to work anymore.
It's possible to live in the USA without changing my nationality ????
Aloha Dani, you might want to start your own thread so folks will answer your question instead of the original question that your post was attached to. Probably you'd get better answers asking your consulate or checking an immigration website, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii