Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 02:37 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,108,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
Well, I have $3500 in savings. My girlfriend doesn't have any savings.
$3,500 savings is a recipe for homelessness.

You need to take your monthly living expense (between you and your gf) and multiply that by six at a bare minimum. Figure rent at $1,500 for a low end small studio incl utilities. Add 60% to all the other COL expenses you currently incur in Orlando. Assuming that's another $1,500/mo, you're at $3,000. That $3K is just for both of you to survive with a roof over your head. Multiply that by six and you get $18K. That would be the bare minimum savings you should have before moving. And you should have a job lined up before getting on a plane as well.

Anything less will set you up for possible homelessness. I've never heard of a day trader with zero savings. Hopefully she has some ambition and smarts in her or she'll drag you down like a ton of bricks and make your life miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 03:15 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Quote:
Well Hawaii was her idea. I don't really care where we move. I suggested Alabama but she thought it might be too cold up there for her.

At the end of the day, I do what my girlfriend tells me to.
Well, since you seem to have come on this forum to merely argue with all of the advice that we are sharing with you, and since your girlfriend is the one making these seemingly uninformed decisions for the two of you, perhaps she should be the one on the forum. Especially since her grasp on reality seems to come from video games!

Old 12-18-2015, 06:07 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Quote:
Well, we've lived in Florida our whole lives, and we've seen people move here with no money or plan.

If we had to put up with that, why shouldn't we be able to do the same thing in Hawaii? Don't we at least deserve that?
Well, you'd be doing the same in Hawaii as the snowbirds do in Florida. Although the folks migrating to Florida are at least going somewhere with a probable lower cost of living than where they came from.

For what it's worth, the cost of living in Orlando is below the average US cost of living. Hawaii is one of the top three, so figure you'll need more than twice as much money to live the same way you are in Florida.

How about living somewhere else in Florida? Apparently you're in a not-so-good part of town, are there any other areas which are better? What about somewhere like Key Biscayne or somewhere on the water? Apalachicola is supposed to be nice, if you want the other side of the state. You'd be able to go look at those places easily, too, and moving there would be tons easier. Can you take your girlfriend on a mini-vacation to the other places in Florida and see if she'd like them better? You'd not have to tell her you were considering moving there, just go and visit the beach there and then ask her if she thought it would be nicer to live there than Orlando.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:54 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,169 times
ok, i will have my girlfriend read this thread and see what her decision is.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:49 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Well, we also put Hawaii on our list because not only do we want somewhere warm, we are tired of having to listen to Spanish spoken everywhere we go here in Orlando. I even took my girlfriend to DMV and they were speaking Spanish over the PA. Not English. We couldn't believe it. We thought we there would be less Spanish in Hawail.
That's a pretty poor reason to move to Hawaii.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:03 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,945 times
Quote:
^ I don't think you've ever been to Orlando? There are kick in robberies at the apts on Kirkman Road. And home invasions. You don't have to leave your home to be a victim here.
There is crime in Hawaii as well. As a matter of fact the drug (meth) problem used to be terrible and I doubt it has gotten better.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:30 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,945 times
Quote:
Well, we've lived in Florida our whole lives, and we've seen people move here with no money or plan.

If we had to put up with that, why shouldn't we be able to do the same thing in Hawaii? Don't we at least deserve that?
Dude. You are clueless. If you love to Florida with no money and it doesn't work out it costs a couple of tanks of gas to drive anywhere in the lower 48/mainland. In Hawaii it will cost two plane tickets. What do those cost now? $1000 per person?

Don't forget. You have $3500 and lets round it up to $4k...

Tickets:$800(2)
Rent: $3000(first/last/deposit).
You have $200 until you find a job...good luck. Utilities are t cheap.
Where is your bail out money? Furniture?

Old 12-19-2015, 10:35 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,955 times
Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:40 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
No worries, Sherwoody, as long as you get some popcorn to go with the sands, it should be worth it?

Old 12-19-2015, 10:50 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHWarrior View Post
I lived in Southern California for some time in college. Would you like to guess the percentage of people who speak Spanish? I even believe one of the official languages is Spanish in cal.
I'm sure the same can be said for New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, etc. I was merely responding to the OP's question about whether English was spoken in Hawaii.

I didn't get into the finer points of pidgin and the many languages spoken here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii