Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 12:22 PM

10,555 posts, read 7,755,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Did you utilize the control panel on the right? In addition to other things, you can choose wind speeds at different elevations.
Not until you mentioned it. That's cool.

Looks like the University of Hawaii site is giving more rapid updates now on rainfall totals, and well as their usual hourly reports of current barometric pressure and wind speeds.

University of Hawaii Meteorology: Bulletins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 01:10 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
That's an interesting site, Sherwoody. Although it shows the winds as coming from a slightly different angle than I seem to experience and expect. The website shows the wind hitting our house from the side I'd expected, but from the back corner instead of the front corner. Of course, we have trees and topography involved and the website winds don't.

Currently, here on the Hamakua coast, we have fog (which just rolled in), wind and fairly steady rain going up to pretty heavy rain at times. The winds seem to be ranging between ten to twenty MPH with gusts a bit higher, maybe up to just under thirty. Current time is 9 am on Saturday morning, July 23rd.

We also just got a flash flood warning alert that came over the phones. Considering how much rain has been coming down, that's understandable. Power is still up (yay!) as well as internet (double yay!). The newspaper appeared this morning, too.

Light rain, then slashes of heavy rain, light wind with slashes of heavy wind coming through. Fog lightened a bit. There's condensation dripping off the refrigerator, that's unusual. Drops of water on the screens behind the window panes, that's not generally usual either.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:29 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,017 times
NOAA has been consistently putting Darby's movement at 9-12 mph over the last several reports. But for the last 15 hours or so the main areas of deep convection have barely budged. It's just sitting there taunting the Big Island with its bursts of deep convection.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:36 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Well, that and dropping rain on us.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:03 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,017 times
Those are just the outer bands. If it sat over the Big Island like it's sitting now, it would have received over 20 inches of rain by now... if not more. Not sure how resilient the Big Island is to torrential and long-lasting rainfall but if that happened on Oahu there would be catastrophic flooding. Hopefully it picks up speed and passes over quickly. If it meanders over land it could get real messy. It is moving far slower than NOAA predicted.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:06 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
That's an interesting site, Sherwoody. Although it shows the winds as coming from a slightly different angle than I seem to experience and expect. The website shows the wind hitting our house from the side I'd expected, but from the back corner instead of the front corner. Of course, we have trees and topography involved and the website winds don't.

Currently, here on the Hamakua coast, we have fog (which just rolled in), wind and fairly steady rain going up to pretty heavy rain at times. The winds seem to be ranging between ten to twenty MPH with gusts a bit higher, maybe up to just under thirty. Current time is 9 am on Saturday morning, July 23rd.

We also just got a flash flood warning alert that came over the phones. Considering how much rain has been coming down, that's understandable. Power is still up (yay!) as well as internet (double yay!). The newspaper appeared this morning, too.

Light rain, then slashes of heavy rain, light wind with slashes of heavy wind coming through. Fog lightened a bit. There's condensation dripping off the refrigerator, that's unusual. Drops of water on the screens behind the window panes, that's not generally usual either.
I would suggest that everyone enter your own location in the search window rather than use my link. My link has my chosen view. Here is what I get when entering "Hawaii Island" in the search window. As I said above, you can enter your particular elevation also. I like this site because it's user friendly and simple as I'm not much of a meteorologist.

https://www.windyty.com/19.590/-155....590,-156.026,9

Old 07-23-2016, 02:17 PM

749 posts, read 852,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
With 4-5 storms currently lined up, buying some water isn't a terrible idea - what I don't understand is why people already don't have prep items. A natural disaster can strike anytime on the BI and to a lesser degree the other islands (earthquakes should not be underestimated with active volcanos and shifting fault lines).
No kidding, we always have at least a week's worth of supplies around, however still working on that 'Lava Protector Shield' in case Haleakala goes nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Luckily, I still have enough duck tape for taping the cats down to something heavy for the upcoming makani nui. I tried finding some cat tape, but COSTCO didn't have any.
Pro Tip: we always get our cat tape at Lowes, they never run out!

Old 07-23-2016, 03:07 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Light wind. Only sprinkles on Oahu. I had the misfortune of going to Walmart today near Ala Moana and not crowded and looked to have enough bottled water to quench all of Oahu's thirst.

Since my car doesn't need gas I have not seen many people at the gas stations I've driven by.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:37 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
just windy and light rain, Lahaina side

Old 07-23-2016, 04:54 PM

788 posts, read 512,524 times
Now Wunderground has it going South of the Islands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii