Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 10:27 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times

Advertisements

I'm heading to COSTYA right now.. Smart money is on this one;

Eastern North Pacific 2-Day Graphical Tropical Weather Outlook

My 'to buy list',

10 cases beer. COSTYAS new 'Kirkland Ultra Ultra Lite'. Less filling, tastes like crap. (Watered down crap)

20 cases SPAM. (The original SPAM, not the Turkey SPAM, not friggin SPAM Lite, (although, with the coupon, you get 110% off if combined with KUUL, but I can only withstand so much crap at once. Even if it is watered down)

50 fifty pound bags of Kirklands new 'Tastes like Rice' rice. Not sure what it is, supposedly rice. If it doesn't taste like rice, and tastes more like KUUL, I'll still have enough bags to keep the floodwaters from rushing in off my patio. ( I just moved here, hence patio)

80 MORE cases of SPAM. I've decided that if my patio, (it will always be 'patio' to me, I'm not naming part of my new house after some friggin island, what's wrong with people over here anyways?), glass gives way, I can stack the cans of SPAM, glue them together with a combination of KUUL and Kirklands TLR, should provide a bonding mixture superior to that of old fashioned mortar.

Last, but not least, 50 cases of Kirklands new 10 ply Ultra Ultra Toilet, Facial, multi use tissue paper. Evidently it's a joint design by Kirkland and Pirelli. And, given that Pirelli makes cars go faster, and the combination of SPAM and KUUL seems to have the same affect on me, should come in handy. If it's a little to tready, I can soak it in the KUUL for a bit, to soften it up. Hopefully the KUUL won't have the same affect on the TP as it did on the TLR.

Hope this,,, uuurrrpppp,,,, scuze me, helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 01:21 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,327 times
Jungo, you one funny buggah.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:32 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Spam, rice & toilet paper, those are the three top things that sell out when folks panic. You'd think there'd be better stuff to stock up on, but guess folks is looking for comfort food and it's aftereffects or something.

It's really interesting the differences topography can make in weather. I was in the Bahamas about a week ago and there were huge lightening storms that just kinda drifted in from nowhere. There was a tropical downpour that came out of a blue sky. Nice sunny afternoon, then it clouded up and started pouring in about fifteen minutes. With lightening! It didn't last long, but it was surprising to come out of basically nowhere.

Having mountains makes a lot different weather here in Hawaii than there in the Bahamas even though we're both warm sub tropical areas.

Well, they say in another two days we will find out if that next 'disturbance' becomes a hurricane or not. If the named storm 'Lester' is behind this one, then this one will become something 'M'?

How many of us just keep stocked up during the entire hurricane season? We did a bit of stocking for Darby, but have since eaten most of the stuff we got since it was just several days worth of what we'd usually be eating. Should we stock up on stuff we don't usually eat but stuff that lasts basically forever? Or just get several day's worth of what we are actually gonna eat before the big storm is supposed to arrive?

We used to keep several month's worth of food on hand at any particular time, but now we've cut way back on that and just try to keep more fresh stuff growing.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

Having mountains makes a lot different weather here in Hawaii than there in the Bahamas even though we're both warm sub tropical areas.
While elevation can cool you off as you go higher the biggest impact to our weather at sea level is the high pressure that is very prevalent north of the islands (which also impact the US West Coast shifting storms to the north leaving CA dry) - that high pressure brings the tradewinds blowing out the humidity otherwise Hawaii would just be a sweaty mess at sea level - when that high pressure is disrupted, you get that nasty weather like we have had the past few days....

Old 08-26-2016, 01:27 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Well, they say in another two days we will find out if that next 'disturbance' becomes a hurricane or not. If the named storm 'Lester' is behind this one, then this one will become something 'M'?.
Lester is forecast to become a category 1 hurricane, not too far from Hawaii by Thursday of next week.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:41 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Lester is forecast to become a category 1 hurricane, not too far from Hawaii by Thursday of next week.
Lester wasn't the one I had in mind. 14E, now TS Madeline, has all the indicators of the type of storm that normally adversely effects the Islands. Forming west of 140, and not actually developing into a hurricane until within 600 or so miles of the Islands. Couple that with it being close to the warmest ocean temps of the year, and light to moderate upper level winds, and, I'M HEADING TO COSTYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uuuurrrrr,,,,,, they've already run out of 'P's........

Old 08-27-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
While elevation can cool you off as you go higher the biggest impact to our weather at sea level is the high pressure that is very prevalent north of the islands (which also impact the US West Coast shifting storms to the north leaving CA dry) - that high pressure brings the tradewinds blowing out the humidity otherwise Hawaii would just be a sweaty mess at sea level - when that high pressure is disrupted, you get that nasty weather like we have had the past few days....
I wonder what causes that high pressure area? It seems fairly steady (for an atmospheric condition) and I'm really grateful for it, but is it caused by anything that is likely to change? (I sure hope not!)

Is it time to go check the weather after this cup of coffee? There's a bit of rain, not much and almost no wind at the moment. But that's just looking out the window weather, not anything long term predictive.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:46 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
I wonder what causes that high pressure area?
I suspect it has to do with the spinning of the earth and latitude. These high pressure systems park themselves around the world.

High Pressure: Hawaii Weather Patterns

Old 08-27-2016, 05:58 PM

Thanks, WhiteViper! It's nice to know that those high pressure areas that make our climate lovely are stable and going to continue. That was an interesting link, I've never really wondered how the weather worked around here, probably since it doesn't usually change that much.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:00 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,536,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
this might help if you want to follow the storm... unless you got something... Pacific Tropical Satellite Imagery - Satellite Services Division / Office of Satellite Data Processing and Distribution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii