Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 04:12 PM

7 posts, read 51,973 times

Advertisements

thanks everybody I will definitely have my husband read these later. Thanks especially Hank and rockfishrmn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 04:50 PM

25 posts, read 233,269 times
Let me tell you, it does not matter what you look like, very very few people will treat you with aloha. It is a myth, drummed up by the tourist industry I am sure. I meet more friendly people living in Manhattan then anywhere in Hawaii.

If you want to be "liked" and "accepted", just pretend you have a lot of money or a lot of drugs.

Leaving the islands for good tomorrow morning...

Old 02-25-2008, 06:07 PM

82 posts, read 365,303 times
I too, was worried, I got a lot of negative info from people and fell for it. I have lived here only 3 months, and neither my kids, nor I have had any problems. I guess the closest I came to a comment about how very, very pale, green eyed and blonde I am, is a local man at the farmer's market said "wow, you one a da cleanest sistahs i evah seen"(implying, I assume anyway, that I am very very white) i laughed and said "yeah, but I am not a natural blonde" and we both laughed. He meant no malice, I learned that here, as opposed to Minnesota where I came from, people just say things purely out of observation. He was speaking the truth, I stand out because I am so white. My two youngest are hispanic, so they are dark, fit in well, but my oldest is white, light brown hair and eyes. He is having a birthday party this weekend and the list is about 20 people long after only being in school since January 11th. On the guest list are Filipino, Hawaiian, Samoan, Black, Korean, Japanese, Mexican and white kids. We have been accepted in a wonderful church, where I think I am, quite literally, the only totally white person. I am so happy to live here now, it is an eye-opening experience to get out of your "comfort zone". I do believe of course, that there are some places that our experiences may have differed, and that there are many who have had negative experiences not of their own accord. But so far for me and my family, it has all been great. I know the time will come when our lives take us back to the mainland, but I will always treasure the time we had here, and I know that this is a wonderful lesson in diversity and culture that our kids could never get anywhere else.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:28 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
It's hardly worthy of a response, been here since 1975, so I suspect I know what I'm talking about. Everyone has their own experiences, regardless of where they may venture, I know Hawaii has it's problems, but is it the only state out of the union that has them? And as far as paradise is concerned, I do kind of like the weather, and, the Aloha Spirit, believe it or not, still does exist. Best of luck.............................Always thought sober was spelled with an "O" before the "B", I must be mistaken..............

Old 02-27-2008, 10:28 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,110 times
Default A little bit of our story...

Morning all,
The problems being discussed in this thread exist everywhere.

We live, for now and for the past 7 years, in a small rural community south of Seattle. When we first drove into this sleepy little town, to board our horse, we were so impressed with the tranquil beauty and the scenery. It's really quite beautiful here. We are on a plateau in the foothills of Mt Rainier.

We met a few folks at the barn. Next weekend we walked into the local Diner and were greeted by name as soon as we walked in. I was sold. 'WOW.. what a terrific place"

LOLOL... we bought our little cottage on 1/4 acre and moved in ready to be nice, happy, well meaning country neighbors. HA... that lasted less than a week.

We were warned that our dogs would be shot on sight if they ventured into the neighbors fields. One neighbor actually went so far as to stand in his front yard with his rifle as we drove by one morning. Lovely, huh?

Within the first 60 days we had one neighbors wife murdered, by her husband. One little girl smashed by a speeding utility truck at our intersection (the wife of which eventually turned out to be my boss, go figure).

Next door neighbor tossed us into a 3 year legal dispute over property rights.

Our home was broken into and our dogs were sprayed w/a toxic chemical, killing our show Pomeranian. Our cars are cased on a regular basis...

We live 2 miles from town and still get flipped-off by the local kids. There is crack and meth and homeless and unemployed all over this little community. It's amazing.

But, we hung in there. Created a beautiful little corner of the world.... for us.

We're not moving to the Big Island with blinders on. The ones that do are the ones that leave. It's a simple solution. I wear one of the finest pairs of Rose Colored glasses available to mankind. I also have one foot firmly planted in reality.

Our plans, once again, are to enter a community and a society with open minds, open arms and open hearts.
Come what may.

Our Aloha to all.
Koale & Family

Old 02-27-2008, 01:43 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Morning all,
The problems being discussed in this thread exist everywhere.

We live, for now and for the past 7 years, in a small rural community south of Seattle. When we first drove into this sleepy little town, to board our horse, we were so impressed with the tranquil beauty and the scenery. It's really quite beautiful here. We are on a plateau in the foothills of Mt Rainier.

We met a few folks at the barn. Next weekend we walked into the local Diner and were greeted by name as soon as we walked in. I was sold. 'WOW.. what a terrific place"

LOLOL... we bought our little cottage on 1/4 acre and moved in ready to be nice, happy, well meaning country neighbors. HA... that lasted less than a week.

We were warned that our dogs would be shot on sight if they ventured into the neighbors fields. One neighbor actually went so far as to stand in his front yard with his rifle as we drove by one morning. Lovely, huh?

Within the first 60 days we had one neighbors wife murdered, by her husband. One little girl smashed by a speeding utility truck at our intersection (the wife of which eventually turned out to be my boss, go figure).

Next door neighbor tossed us into a 3 year legal dispute over property rights.

Our home was broken into and our dogs were sprayed w/a toxic chemical, killing our show Pomeranian. Our cars are cased on a regular basis...

We live 2 miles from town and still get flipped-off by the local kids. There is crack and meth and homeless and unemployed all over this little community. It's amazing.

But, we hung in there. Created a beautiful little corner of the world.... for us.

We're not moving to the Big Island with blinders on. The ones that do are the ones that leave. It's a simple solution. I wear one of the finest pairs of Rose Colored glasses available to mankind. I also have one foot firmly planted in reality.

Our plans, once again, are to enter a community and a society with open minds, open arms and open hearts.
Come what may.

Our Aloha to all.
Koale & Family
sounds like something out of a stephen king movie?!

good luck!

Old 02-28-2008, 05:57 PM

126 posts, read 688,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Why is it that so many people post on this website about "racism and haole hate " in Hawaii. In all my years here I've just never seen it. It's almost portrayed as if there are locals lurking in the bushes waiting to bash your brains in!!!!!!! If you are that paranoid about Hawaii, why would you even consider moving here????

Aloha and okolemaluna

I think it really depends on your situation.

I was not worried about it. Came with my sunny attitude and taught school in Puna. I struggled daily with educated adults (other teachers) who simply ignored me or were downright hostile. White children from the mainland were treated terribly. Heck, the children treated each other terribly, so they just stepped it up a notch. What else can you expect from a place where the familes will finish up a fight that started between their kids at school.d

I've always taught where I was a minority and never experienced anything quite like it. I would go back to teaching in south central Los Angeles any day over Puna. Even the people who were nice to me treated me like a museum specimen, not a normal person. I was berated for my "white people food" and my lack of pidgen, among other things.

Other friends who didn't work with locals didn't share similar experiences.

I know on this board we are only supposed to "make nice" about Hawaii, but I think it's important for people to hear all sides and make a truly informed choice.

Anyway, it's enough to say that it does exist, even if it doesn't happen to you.

To the OP, I'm sure it will be completely fine for your husband.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:01 PM

126 posts, read 688,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I know Hawaii has it's problems, but is it the only state out of the union that has them? ..............
Yes, but this is the forum to discuss Hawaii.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:35 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,767 times
Quote:
I think it really depends on your situation.
i agree.

Quote:
I was not worried about it. Came with my sunny attitude and taught school in Puna. I struggled daily with educated adults (other teachers) who simply ignored me or were downright hostile. White children from the mainland were treated terribly. Heck, the children treated each other terribly, so they just stepped it up a notch. What else can you expect from a place where the familes will finish up a fight that started between their kids at school.d
sounds like the adults were ignorant instead of educated. there have been documented cases of families that will finish up a fight tht started between their kids. so, again, i agree.

Quote:
I've always taught where I was a minority and never experienced anything quite like it. I would go back to teaching in south central Los Angeles any day over Puna. Even the people who were nice to me treated me like a museum specimen, not a normal person. I was berated for my "white people food" and my lack of pidgen, among other things.
again, this is about people being ignorant. what the heck is "white people food"? i eat all kinds of food. there's a time and a place for pidgin, no? i posted in another thread that it wasn't allowed in our home. amongst friends, no problem.

Quote:
Other friends who didn't work with locals didn't share similar experiences.

I know on this board we are only supposed to "make nice" about Hawaii, but I think it's important for people to hear all sides and make a truly informed choice.

Anyway, it's enough to say that it does exist, even if it doesn't happen to you.

To the OP, I'm sure it will be completely fine for your husband.
i concur. however, please just remember that the term, "locals" encompasses a wide range of ethnicities including local haole.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:13 AM

349 posts, read 1,545,176 times
I think it also depends on where you are in Hawaii. We have been to Oahu several times but have never experienced any problems there....it is more of a "melting pot". But on Kauai, we have had locals (men only) become very hostile or aggressive towards my husband. Enough to make him call the area "backwards". Which is sad because I really love Kauai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii