Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:53 PM

42 posts, read 131,195 times

Advertisements

So my husband is moving to Oahu in two weeks ! I am sad because we will be separated for soooo long at least a year unless I move out there. He was offered a job at the Marine Corps Base as a plumber and originally turned it down and then they offered him more money because they really need to fill the position I guess. Well anyways we are from CT and I was offered a job before he accepted this job and I haven't found a job in a year so I am staying here while he gets his foot in the door for a government job. He doesn't plan on staying there long term as soon as he can transfer he will come back here or wherever we decide to live next. I know it sounds strange to be married and living 7000 miles apart but we haven't found work in over a year so we have to do what we have to do. If I can land a government job in Hawaii then I would move there to be with him until we can transfer somewhere else.

Anyways since he is coming alone 28 yr old good looking very friendly guy, any advice for him. He is thinking about renting a room off of craigslist since its cheaper and this way he can meet other people and make some friends. He will have to wait until he gets there to actually look at the places and put a deposit down but anything he should watch out for when trying to rent a room from someone. I have read too many negative things on these threads so I just want to make sure all his bases are covered. He is excited and I am sad and nervous for him but I hope that he can make an easy transition in Oahu. He is looking for a place on the Windward side I believe near Kailua or Kaneohe since its close to the base and he will not bring a car just his close and body board that's it. I am also hoping that once he gets working that he will meet locals that might be able to help him with his search of a rental. Well any input would be great!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 03:06 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,471,182 times
Only advice is good 'ol fashion common sense. Renting a room from a stranger can be a bad thing in any city. But he could also find a good place, with good people. Good luck on your job search out there. My husband was also offered a job out there and turned it down, because we could not survive on the pay that they offered. I wish they could offer mine more money!

Old 04-08-2010, 03:10 PM

64 posts, read 304,125 times
Hi, my advice is move with him. My husband moved for a job and I had to stay behind for a year. In the meantime he found another gal. You could probably find a job there. So I say go.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:57 PM

18,414 posts, read 19,053,577 times
move with him, life is too short. hawaii is beautiful and you will make great memories here. jobs are hard to find everywhere. what if you stay home and never find anything. isn't it better to be with him without a job then away from him without a job?

Old 04-08-2010, 06:35 PM

46 posts, read 141,241 times
I can't give you advice, but I must say that I'd rather be with my wife in the ugliest cave on Earth than in fanciest villa alone.
Sorry for slight off-topic.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:36 PM

42 posts, read 131,195 times
Yeah I am sure its scary to move into a house with strangers. We have a friend out there who is leaving the end of May after she graduates school and he is going to crash there with her and her buddies for a few days so hopefully they will need a roommate or offer him to stay there. Its really scary to think about him going all that way and it will def suck having to stay here but for right now we cant afford for both of us to go. At least if he goes first he can check things out and see if he likes it and if its worth the job rather than both of us go all the way there and things not work out. Ugh its a tough decision.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:42 PM

46 posts, read 141,241 times
Quote:
he goes first he can check things out
Well, called me old-fashioned but I agree with that, a man must take care of his wife. I hope it won't take too long before he see is it worth it or not.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:48 PM

541 posts, read 1,341,915 times
pack your luggage!!!but fast!!!do not leave a 28 years old man alone one year!!and this in Hawaii??are u kidding me??you cheque together things out..you have no kids,just do everything together...

it is as if sending the wolf to sheeps..it is a beuatiful island with beautiful women...vacation feelings..be smart!!other you ahve good chances to find him with a girlfriend...

Old 04-08-2010, 07:04 PM

21 posts, read 61,951 times
Don't be too naive, even though it sounds like you completely trust him, and you are married, stranger things have happened. A year is a long time to be alone.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:35 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,302,337 times
That's just it, he won't be alone

Sorry to jump on the band wagon but are you serious!

Your post was long. I only read that you're not moving with him. Oh, I know; you trust him (cough).

There are many ways to survive; especially if he already has a job.

I don't believe you expected the responses that you've got but I believe that is comes from experience and heart.

(advice from an old geezer)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii