Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:49 PM

33 posts, read 118,832 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved to the Big Island with two young children, no jobs (he is a student at the UH). If we can do it you can!

....although we knew we were moving in advance, and had a year to save money....

Still, you can do it, I wouldn't let my husband move to HAWAII of all places without me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 09:45 PM

3 posts, read 13,817 times
from my experience, long term relationships don't last married or not. its a lot of stress and it really can consume your life. you guys should sit down and discuss what your options are and weigh the pros vs the cons. gl

Old 04-08-2010, 10:36 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,695,777 times
Jenie, young husband, wife back in CT, military base! The man is going to be Don Juan with 6 kids on the way by the time he's ready to return home, if he does! Do you know whats on those bases? How many wives are on those bases whos husbands are deployed away from them, and your dangling fresh meat in front of them? Open up the phone book, look under attorney, and get one for divorce on speed dial....... (Just funing with you, I know many couples in similar situation and if the trust and love is there, no distance can break them apart). But remind him of your whole heart belief in the promise "Until dead due us part", so don't do anything to make us part!

Old 04-09-2010, 05:10 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,679,302 times
I might be the only one with a different opinion, but after being in the military for 20+ years and numerous long separations from family, not everyone who is separated from a spouse (as in year deployments) will find a new mate. I totally understand your commitment to financial obligations, which makes a lot of sense in today's economy.

Military spouses suffer constant and long deployments. Many suffer divorces, but the reasons are related to mental stress and war.

We spend a few months in HI every year and have quite a few friends who live there. Many have two jobs due to the cost of living and little time for going to the beach or night life. Getting the job you want is always easier if you have a job, rather than you are unemployed. I personally agree with your plan .

Good luck.
You are the best judge of your spouse and what is right for you.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:43 AM

42 posts, read 131,173 times
Wow your right I wasn't expecting these responses to this post and makes me nervous now. We will see how things go and take it day by day and if I start this job and don't think its the job for me then I will meet my husband in Hawaii. If I get this government job then I need to take it so I can secure a job for myself for my future and our future as well but the whole situation just stinks! Financially we can't afford for both of us to fly and move out there right now so he will go and get situated and start working. He can get to know the area, meet some people and then I will follow if financially possible. Everyone thanks for your input and its good to hear experiences from others, hopefully this wont happen to me and we will not be living 7000 miles apart!

Old 04-09-2010, 11:29 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,761,648 times
Another vote for joining him ASAP.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:59 PM

once your husband settles in, you can use his address as a hawaii local address for your job search. Have him get a cheap 808 cell phone and send it to you. this way evey call on it will let you know its from a job you applied for.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:12 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,945,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenie24 View Post
He is looking for a place on the Windward side I believe near Kailua or Kaneohe since its close to the base and he will not bring a car just his close and body board that's it. I am also hoping that once he gets working that he will meet locals that might be able to help him with his search of a rental. Well any input would be great!!!
To get back to your question:

TheBus on Oahu is great for most of the island, but not for the Marine Base. Here is the web site:

TheBus Home Page

Bus #70 goes onto the Marine Base. Here is the map:

http://www.thebus.org/Route/maps/rm56.pdf

and the schedule:

http://www.thebus.org/Route/timetables/rt70.pdf

There are only five buses a day that go onto the Marine base. The first bus does not get to the base until after 8 AM, and the last one leaves the base at 2 PM, so it's no good for getting to and from work.

It's about two miles from the nearest bus stop outside the base to the center of the base, a long way to walk. Here's a map showing the Base, Kailua and Kaneohe:

http://tinyurl.com/ycv25lf (broken link)

I think he's going to have to get a car or ride with someone else. Better have him ask his employer about this.

Hank

Old 04-09-2010, 03:39 PM

46 posts, read 141,221 times
Well, I'm reading this and I can't believe. I don't know the situation about "a man alone", "lonely military ladies", "you know Hawaii", but I really don't have to know that: if the man is faithful, he'll stay faithful.
Now, the discussion went in a totally unexpected - and wrong, by my opinion - direction. You all dug deep in someone's privacy and declared the man a cheater before anything happened and I think that's wrong. And if someone must follow her/his spouse at any given moment to be sure, than something's not right. I think this discussion went in a wrong direction like this is a marriage counseling forum.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:21 PM

Lighten Up! this is hawaii, not everything is serious and frankly everyone is entitled to their say. If people don't want to hear certain types of responses, just say, "I want to move to hawaii with $25 in my pocket and work at a resort making $500,000 and live in a ocean front condo and drive a BMW and live the life as a movie star, all within 1 week, Is this possible? I only want to hear from those who say it is possible, no others need answer"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii