Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 10:46 PM

7 posts, read 51,974 times

Advertisements

I'm still researching a move to Maui, but my husband has recently become concerned about being a haole. I feel like I'll blend in, I have dark hair and eyes and I'm not looking to become a part of the community, just live quietly and mind my own business. Would we really feel any effects of racism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 02:56 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,576,023 times
Why is it that so many people post on this website about "racism and haole hate " in Hawaii. In all my years here I've just never seen it. It's almost portrayed as if there are locals lurking in the bushes waiting to bash your brains in!!!!!!! If you are that paranoid about Hawaii, why would you even consider moving here????

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 02-25-2008, 08:08 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,863 times
I know. I am a little suprised at all this too. If people go somewhere with the attitude they are some kind of ayreon prize they are not going to be treated well.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:27 AM

I guess I didn't make it clear initially, I have no fear of this "racism" whatsoever. I want to move to Hawaii because of the laid-back attitude and because I have never felt more accepted anywhere else. I am tired of living in Utah and the stigma that comes with being an inactive Mormon. The guessing that other Mormons do when I walk into a room.

There were no hold-ups until my husband started asking around and he has several friends who told him horror stories about living there. So, I've talked to people here who say it is a non-existent problem (and I desperately want my husband to believe YOU guys) and I've talked to others who act like it's gangland. My personal experience, of course, has been WONDERFUL. I just don't know who to believe, and how to convince my husband that it's all nonsense without actually living there, and right now getting him there is seeming more and more difficult.

So please, rather than stating how silly you think people are and coming up with more clever analogies, show me some FACTS. A website, personal testimonial? Have any of you attended grade schools in Hawaii? Did you grow up there? If so, are you an islander or are you white? Did you have white friends? PLEASE SOMETHING OF USE.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:09 AM

202 posts, read 1,075,710 times
as long as you're not blonde with green eyes

Old 02-25-2008, 10:34 AM

Default forum or small-talk?

funny. I'm laughing inside, really. but I'm not here for comic relief.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:14 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,944,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitcslc View Post
I guess I didn't make it clear initially, I have no fear of this "racism" whatsoever. I want to move to Hawaii because of the laid-back attitude and because I have never felt more accepted anywhere else. I am tired of living in Utah and the stigma that comes with being an inactive Mormon. The guessing that other Mormons do when I walk into a room.

There were no hold-ups until my husband started asking around and he has several friends who told him horror stories about living there. So, I've talked to people here who say it is a non-existent problem (and I desperately want my husband to believe YOU guys) and I've talked to others who act like it's gangland. My personal experience, of course, has been WONDERFUL. I just don't know who to believe, and how to convince my husband that it's all nonsense without actually living there, and right now getting him there is seeming more and more difficult.

So please, rather than stating how silly you think people are and coming up with more clever analogies, show me some FACTS. A website, personal testimonial? Have any of you attended grade schools in Hawaii? Did you grow up there? If so, are you an islander or are you white? Did you have white friends? PLEASE SOMETHING OF USE.
I first came to Oahu in the military in 1957 with a new very blonde wife and a four year old son. My very blonde daughter was born here. Here for three years that tour, and came back for seven more in 1965. Three kids spent lots of time in Kailua (Oahu) schools here. One graduated from Kailua High and spent a year at UH. Now I've lived here half time for the past eighteen years.

I've never, in all that time, had a problem.

I remember my kids getting in fights occasionally, and they were scared of some of the very big local kids, but I remember that I got in fights occasionally when I was that age, and there were no "locals" in suburban Long Island, New York.

My advice is to tell your husband my story, and don't worry about it. If you want to read lots more on the subject, here are three threads where this was discussed extensively, but you won't really learn much new.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...ld-blond.html?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...rejudice.html?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...d-hawaii.html?

Hank

Old 02-25-2008, 12:24 PM

67 posts, read 517,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitcslc View Post
I'm a blond and blue eyed white guy...I've been to Maui 5 trips of 2 weeks apiece...so with 10 weeks on the island living in condos (not hotels) I have a bit of experience and feel for living there even tho I have not lived there.

It is not entirely a non-existent problem. It isn't a huge problem either...at least not from what I've seen on Maui. If you go into areas where just the locals are, you can expect to get some "stink eye". And I have gotten some. And I could see how one might possibly get into trouble with the locals.

Keep in mind that there is resort Hawai'i and and regular Hawai'i, for lack of a better term. If you have been there on vacation, you've been living in the former.

There is a big problem with Crystal Meth on the islands and that translates into petty crime and breakins to raise drug money.

That said, it is paradise and if I could afford to live in a nice neighborhood or condo I would NOT hesitate to recommend it.

My advice ...and it is worth everything you paid for it
is to get a rental in the area you want to live...and pretend like you're living there for a couple weeks to a month. Do the things you think you'll be doing and see how you like it. It will be a lot cheaper to do that and find out how you like it, rather than go thru the trouble and expense of moving there and THEN finding out you don't like it.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:18 PM

850 posts, read 4,365,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post

My advice is to tell your husband my story, and don't worry about it. If you want to read lots more on the subject, here are three threads where this was discussed extensively, but you won't really learn much new.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...ld-blond.html?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...rejudice.html?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...d-hawaii.html?

Hank
ditto! i think hank said it the best!

Old 02-25-2008, 04:11 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,460,267 times
I have blonde hair and blue eyes and have never had a problem! Every once in a while you get stink eye from some teens, but honestly when do teenagers not act up?????? Everyone I have met are very warm and have accepted me without question. Ironically, one of my closest friends are the popular bumper sticker "I grew here, you flew here"...

As everyone always says, if you treat everyone with respect (as you would ANYWHERE) you will get respect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii