Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 02:19 PM

409 posts, read 484,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitcslc View Post
I guess I didn't make it clear initially, I have no fear of this "racism" whatsoever. I want to move to Hawaii because of the laid-back attitude and because I have never felt more accepted anywhere else. I am tired of living in Utah and the stigma that comes with being an inactive Mormon. The guessing that other Mormons do when I walk into a room.

There were no hold-ups until my husband started asking around and he has several friends who told him horror stories about living there. So, I've talked to people here who say it is a non-existent problem (and I desperately want my husband to believe YOU guys) and I've talked to others who act like it's gangland. My personal experience, of course, has been WONDERFUL. I just don't know who to believe, and how to convince my husband that it's all nonsense without actually living there, and right now getting him there is seeming more and more difficult.

So please, rather than stating how silly you think people are and coming up with more clever analogies, show me some FACTS. A website, personal testimonial? Have any of you attended grade schools in Hawaii? Did you grow up there? If so, are you an islander or are you white? Did you have white friends? PLEASE SOMETHING OF USE.
I'm white, my husband is local (Hawaiian/Japanese). My husband has many white friends...some from the mainland and some who grew up in the islands. The only white guys who have trouble with the locals are ones who come over from the mainland with a lot of attitude and a total lack of respect. In other words, A**holes. Also, the problems are usually out in the water and it's usually that they don't follow surf rules, which are simple. Don't take off on other surfers, share the waves, be respectful. If you have a good attitude, you will more than likely be fine.

Last edited by lily4; 08-08-2014 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 02:27 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4 View Post
I'm white, my husband is local (Hawaiian/Japanese). My husband has many white friends...some from the mainland and some who grew up in the islands. The only white guys who have trouble with the locals are ones who come over from the mainland with a lot of attitude and a total lack for respect. In other words, A**holes. Also, the problems are usually out in the water and it's usually that they don't follow surf rules, which are simple. Don't take off on other surfers, share the waves, be respectful. If your husband is a nice guy he shouldn't have any problems.
Exactly and when somebody who comes over and is a jerk and disrespectful? That person is saying that as an individual he is more important then anyone else (i thinking) right? What do locals call it? Haole and/or Mainland thinking. Does it have to do with the fact he is white or is it his attitude?

Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 PM

409 posts, read 484,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Exactly and when somebody who comes over and is a jerk and disrespectful? That person is saying that as an individual he is more important then anyone else (i thinking) right? What do locals call it? Haole and/or Mainland thinking. Does it have to do with the fact he is white or is it his attitude?
It's really about attitude more than anything else. My husband's white friends are just as accepted and highly regarded as his other friends who are for example...Japanese, Japanese/Hawaiian, Korean/Hawaiian/white, Japanese/black, Japanese/white, Hawaiian/white, Chinese/Hawaiian. So, there are a lot of cultures coming together and everyone gets along.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:15 AM

111 posts, read 181,353 times
Everyone is trying to "sugarcoat" the racism in Hawaii. I lived there for years They had "kill haole day" in the schools and there was definite racism and violence towards them. The hostility is directed at Males primarily.
The locals try to excuse it by saying the haoles are disrespectful, what baloney.
I am speaking about "blue collar " locals, this is where it's prevalent.Many of them are simply "brown necked, red necks".

Old 08-10-2014, 07:39 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,125,593 times
I am Native Hawaiian, English, Welsh. Scots, Portuguese, Native American and Chinese (I may have forgotten a couple); my DH is VERY White from Alabama and one of our Sons looks very White.
. There were no issues. My boys used to ride the bus around the island without any incidents and my DH
My boys had no problems in school while we were Stationed in Hawaii (one year was Leileihua HS).

DH goes all over Oahu, Maui and the Big Island- he has never had an issue with locals.

The same can not be said when we spend part of our year in Alabama & Kentucky- Some of the looks and comments have been downright rude and I may be blind but believe me when I say that I know when there are people staring at me.

Just as with every place in the world there are wonderful people and then there are those people whom delight in making others uncomfortable.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:46 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
I'll bite. What is a DH?

Old 08-10-2014, 09:08 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,219,292 times
DH = Darling Husband, and on it goes for Wife, Daughter and Son.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:22 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
DH = Darling Husband, and on it goes for Wife, Daughter and Son.
Ah, so DH, DW, DD, DS? What if they aren't "Darling" and just ok, do we skip the first D?

Old 08-11-2014, 05:30 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,219,292 times
I guess that's true. Some of them aren't so darling but you can't prove it by me LOL

Old 08-13-2014, 12:05 PM

6 posts, read 9,838 times
Default you'll never feel welcome unless you're around whites

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitcslc View Post
I'm still researching a move to Maui, but my husband has recently become concerned about being a haole. I feel like I'll blend in, I have dark hair and eyes and I'm not looking to become a part of the community, just live quietly and mind my own business. Would we really feel any effects of racism?
Don't do it. things you don't read about: crime in Lahaina, Kihei,wailuku and numerous other locations are never published unless its a death. Fighting and mugging is in the hawiian culture especially if you're white. The famous banyon tree in lahaina is cleared out by police every morning just before sunrise. Homeless drug addicts(meth,number one in the nation) are cleared out. Don't even think about going out at night in lahaina or Kihei by yourself, you'll be mugged guaranteed.
if you don't own a home you'll pay thru the nose. Own a home and rent out your ohana is the only way to go.

Why do more hawaiians live on the mainland than in Hawaii? Why do hawaiians have multiple generations living under one roof? Why is hawaii 50th in the nation for education and number 1 in meth use? Who knows who cares. Tourism is the only thing that matters and "were can I get a foodstamp card?'

Its awful there, no middle class just rich land owners and tourists. Hawaiians hate white people, when there anger should be towards the phillipino people who take their jobs everyday. Its upside down fantasy land. If your rich enjoy but have a plan "B" to get out quick.

Best advice is to fly over hawaii and go to Bora Bora or Tahaiti. Its just another 2&1/2 hours more. Its cleaner,friendlier,and more beautiful than Hawaii will ever be. My wife and I traveled there after moving to Maui for two years and wondered why we stayed in Hawaii so long. Stay on the mainland,work hard, and visit the outer islands of Tahaiti.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii