Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 12,531 times

Advertisements

What airline did you use? We are trying to get our two Boston's out to Hawaii at the end of January but the weather predictions for that time of year say it is always over 70 degrees. This is m biggest fear that it will always be too hot for the dogs to fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 01:23 PM

649 posts, read 3,443,716 times
Continental Airlines' "Petsafe" program worked well for our two cats. We sent them on the nonstop, 11-hr. flight from Newark to Honolulu (in July). They travel in a climate-controlled area, so temperatures are not an issue. Contact Continental for more info (you should call, after looking it up on the website and reading the general info there. The folks we spoke to - on several occasions - were very nice and knowledgeable).

Our kitties arrived safe and sound.

Also get some absorbent pads for their kennels. "Dryfur" is one brand (check them out online) I have heard that the most common cause of problems is when animals get out of their kennels. So Dryfur also sells extra connectors and ties to ensure that the kennels are secure. We got a kit with water and food bowls, all the required labels, absorbent pads, extra ties - basically everything we needed, except the kennels (we bought those locally), and baggies to put the documentation in.

Good luck!

Old 01-04-2009, 12:40 AM

32 posts, read 109,880 times
Hi we finally made it to Maui with our cats. They did fine. My one cat is 20 and I was very concerned the other is a very high strung siamese. We flew Hwaiian out of Phoenix mid December. The cargo is pressurized and heated to 72 degrees. They let us know when the cats were boarded. That was last. They kept them inside a climate controlled area until boarding. They were the first ones off, and by the time we made it to the quarantine station thet had already arrived. Thet were good, and are doing good. It was the hardest decision I ever made. I kept wondering if they were Ok down there why I was inside. I think they fared better than me. They were a little ansy from Honolulu to Maui, as they were under the seat in front of us, and it was noisy and they were kind of stuffed there. Now there crates are their comfort zone. Hope this helps

Old 01-06-2009, 07:17 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,507,785 times
What was the charge for you kitties?

Old 01-06-2009, 10:12 PM

649 posts, read 3,443,716 times
We did not fly with our cats (we sent them ahead, to be picked up by relatives, while we drove cross country). Continental charged $542.24 to fly both of them from Newark to Honolulu. They were accompanying people (one animal per person on Hawaiian's interisland flights, so my sister and my niece both went over to HNL to get them) from HNL to Kauai, I forget what the additional charge was but I'm thinking it was about $50 or $75 per person.

Of course I ended up footing the bill for the vet visits, microchipping, rabies shots, rabies tests, Department of Agriculture fees (I think it was about $300 for the two cats), airfare for them, airfare for my sister and niece to fly RT (one way with the cats) from Kauai to Honolulu, and overnight accommodations in Honolulu for them all because the cats arrived too late to make the last flight out to Kauai. The only cat-friendly accommodation we could find on all of Oahu was the "W" hotel, which is VERY expensive (by our little hick standards). So they are now, seriously, our million-dollar cats. But we love them and they seem to like it here (though one seems to like our neighbors better than us - every time he gets out he beelines over there! They MUST be feeding him but they won't own up to it.), so I guess it was worth it.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:46 AM

32 posts, read 109,880 times
We paid 255 (i think) from Phoenix to Honolulu. We carried them on as our carryons fro Honolulu to Maui so there was no charge. If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer

Old 05-12-2009, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,913 times
Question shipping two dogs to honolulu

i am interested in finding away to ship my two dogs to honolulu hi. how do i do it and how much will it cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrockglass View Post
I am interested in finding alternative ways to getmy dogs to Hawaii other than shipping them in cargo of a plane. Way too many horror stories for me to consider that. ( relative works for an airline so I hear the truth)

Anyway, does anyone know of alternatives and prices?

My dogs weigh 55# each and they are 9 yrs old.

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2009, 02:04 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,455 times
First and foremost, Hawaii has a strict procedure for preventing rabies from coming to the islands. Dogs (and other animals) must either go through a precise regimen of vaccinations and tests (and a microchip) prior to arrival, or they will be quarantined at the airport. (Expensive.)

Here is the link to the Dept of Ag's page with PDFs, FAQs, and all the info you need. The process (apparently) takes about 4 months preparation, depending upon your dogs' ages and their current vaccination status. Animal Quarantine Information — Hawaii Department of Agriculture

For flights, your options are commercial (sometimes referred to as "cargo" on these threads, but actually a separate, climate-controlled hold) and charter. Commercial is much less expensive than charter. There are threads about each on the forum, including a charter this fall that "JollyDogs" is working on. Search the forum for keywords to find the threads, then you can ask more specific questions.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:13 PM

16 posts, read 35,652 times
Yes I too have flown my Pedigree Goldens 3 and cat from Hawai'i and now are going home. If you think the worst that is what you usually find Think and KNOW that everything will be fine and it most likely will. My animals were no worse for the wear. And I am a professional breeder.
Antoinette

Old 08-30-2010, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,145 times
Default please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessilizzi View Post
We flew our family pet out here in December of 2003 without any problems. We had to wait until just the right time of year to fly her out because she is an Olde English Bulldog and they are extremely sensitive to temperatures. It couldn't be freezing & couldn't be over 70 degrees. She flew from KC to Honolulu just fine.

I guess you'll have to decide what's more important - leaving your beloved pet behind knowing he/she'll be safe or taking a chance (which, most like your pet will be fine) and having him or her out here with you.

I have 2 pugs and i talked to delta and they told me i could not transport pugs on the plane to HI because it was always over 75* how did u get your bull dog to HI i am moving there this winter and intend to ship my pugs here in the spring but dont know how... please help..JESS Jessvaczy@yahoo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii