Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 08:48 AM

528 posts, read 2,481,755 times

Advertisements

[quote=redrockglass;194345]Thanks for the reply. The cargo is not even an option. I have a family member who works for a major carrier (management) and even he says don't do it.

There are so many problems and deaths that the government actually makes them now tell how many die. They aren't made to hold any higher standards, they just have to report how many expire per flight.

The cargo's are not pressurized as much as the cabin which is why sometime you get your luggage and your shampoo explodes, etc. It's not condusive for animals.

QUOTE]

your family member is WAY over-exaggerating.....the government reports are for ALL animals, everything from exotics to goldfish to lab mice, so any death and injury reports need to be looked at in the context they represent. We've flown with and shipped lots of dogs over the years, and have dozens of friends and colleagues who do the same, as hundreds of valuable show dogs fly to shows all year long...some airlines are better than others (Northwest has a very good pet program), just do some research. A five hour flight is preferable to a week in a crate on a ship, IMO....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 08:30 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,690,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrockglass View Post
The cargo's are not pressurized as much as the cabin which is why sometime you get your luggage and your shampoo explodes, etc. It's not condusive for animals.
That is not a true statement. The passenger compartment and the cargo bay are both within the same pressure vessel. They are separated by a 1/2" thick honeycomb flooring. There are vents behind the side walls to allow air circulation between the two. So, the pressurization is the same.

There can be a temperature difference. There is a fire supression system that will suffocate you if the bottles are discharged. There is also a tremendous amount of high pitched noise caused by recirculation fans.
I would never allow one of my animals to fly because of those reasons.

The company policy at the airline I work for is to no longer ship live animals in the cargo bins. There is a policy to ship caged animals in the passenger compartment, but there is a size requirement. If you go to any airline website, you should be able to read what their policy is.

If you are moving across the world, you have no choice. If you are just going on vacation, leave the dogs at home.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:21 AM

19 posts, read 39,310 times
I think the main problem is that you have two dogs at 55lbs each to transport. That's tough considering they are both too big for the passenger area and one too many to claim as a therapy dog. I understand your concerns I would worry about my pups too. I personally would pick a week on a ship in a calm boring kennel over a deafeningly loud and either really hot or really cold cargo area of a plane any day. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Old 06-09-2007, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,538 times
looking for pet owners willing to split the fare on a private jet to hawaii. john

Old 06-09-2007, 10:10 PM

120 posts, read 1,167,656 times
Hawaii has huge quarantine laws. They want six months worth of documented blood tests before the dog even gets on a plane. If you dont do this then the dog spends three months in Oahu in a kennel. BIG DOLLARS. Read thousands of dollars before you get your dog back.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:48 PM

72 posts, read 346,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john london View Post
looking for pet owners willing to split the fare on a private jet to hawaii. john
My DH and I would be interested in that! We have 3 cats and 3 dogs. The cats would not be a problem since I work for an airline and can fly them in the cabin for cheap. My dogs are all about 50 pounds and I do not want to put them in the cargo hold. Do you have any charters in mind?

Old 07-04-2007, 05:56 PM

72 posts, read 346,801 times
BTW, I just found this forum and I am a newbie so any pointers are appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-17-2007, 05:26 PM

35 posts, read 191,141 times
Default Shipping dogs / Quurantine

We moved to Maui Nov. 2006.

We have two tiny yorkies that we took with us.

One went in cargo and one in cabin.

We flew Hawaiian Airlines which treat animals VERY humanely.

We had applied for "Direct Release" and the dogs went thru with
flying colors same day.

Just for your info.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:36 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,339,985 times
I've done it both directions, canine and feline and it's really no big deal. Hawaiian is the easiest to deal with, United the worst when shipping pets (IMHO). Try to ship them at night on a direct flight.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:37 AM

35 posts, read 183,556 times
Thank you for some positive stories. I came East with my cat on my lap but returning with him in cargo. There is no other option and your notes about your experiences helped. It isn't all horror stories or nobody would do it.
Also - to the others in this thread about pressurized cargo: it is different than where your luggage goes. I understand it is not the same pressure [which is why medications are not allowed] but it is pressurized and if there is a plane change the animals are taken to some indoor place until the transfer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii