Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 11:16 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times

Advertisements

I have had geckos in the vans several times over the years ... never a cockroach ... maybe hotz's on to something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 12:01 PM

451 posts, read 411,845 times
A bit off topic, but I was thinking about the accumulated sand in our Toyota and in my wife's expensive car. We were at the beach the other week, swimming and generally enjoying the day together. A recently minted and rather beautiful European sled pulled up into a parking spot behind us. Two younger people popped out. He was fairly non-descript, however she was absolutely stunning..the kind of stunning where everyone at the beach stops talking and turns in her direction. Truly a classic, Hawaiian beauty. Even the long suffering Mrs. Rain Monkey who at times possesses a critical eye was utterly speechless. The couple enjoyed an hour or so playing in the surf and sand, before returning to their car where the young man said, quite loudly, to his apparent girlfriend, "Don't get sand in my car!". Oh man, the look on that young woman's face upon hearing those words. It was quite clear that this young fellow was not going to be seeing her anytime in the future.

Of course, I promptly told Mrs. Rain Monkey she could shovel sand into my car anytime she wants.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I'll have to try and get out there one of these days.

They tell me it's nice. As far as the cockroach pilikia, my friends always recommend Mel's Centipede Rental, centrally located in downtown Kaonahauna. They, those little kanapi, love nothing more than a fat, juicy cockroach. And, with the Holidays right around the pu'u, they're an indispensable deterrent to those Holiday guests who just don't want to go back to the cold and snowy mainland. Try sneaking a few into your guest room, or, better yet, drop a couple into the shower!!! Get a dozen, Mel ships state wide
I have used Mel's centipede rental before, although for different types of cockroaches....the two legged ones that I didn't like that years ago would show up at the door to take our daughters out on dates. I'd put them on their slippers while they were inside being interrogated by Mrs. Rain Monkey. Always loved hearing the reaction when they went outside and saw their slippers infested with a centipede or three. .

Old 11-21-2017, 12:28 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
How does one get **** roaches in a car in the first place?

Old 11-21-2017, 12:56 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I would suppose people eat in the car and leave the windows open.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
They are everywhere in Hawai'i. Termites too...years ago, a friend of mine discovered termites eating thru the frame of his Morgan (...an ancient and elegant breed of English sports car for the younger readers in this forum.)

Old 11-21-2017, 02:21 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,517 times
Tis true ^ My dear old Morgan frame was made of Ash wood.
The floorboards of my MGA 1600 were of wood too.

Cockroaches mostly inhabited tenement houses in the Northeast..and they were much smaller than those ones in 'Paradise' that you speak of...the size of Pack Animals.

The bane of automobiles in the Northeast is road salt out down in overly generous amounts during the winter months.
I have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee that I utilize as a rec vehicle, and have 'beach buggy' permit for that I drive on to the beach sand 3-4 times a week from May-Nov.

On the way home I stop at the car wash and have the entire Jeep especially the undercarriage washed..
When I get home, my fishing rods. gear, beach chairs etc. immediately get a garden hose wash down.
Cockroaches, are not an issue..but if there is a land breeze blowing off the dunes in mid summer, we have a proliferation of Black Flies and 'Green Heads" to put a damper on a great beach day 'til the wind shifts to an ocean breeze.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:56 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,270 times
Record that SPCA Sarah McLaughlin commercial. Put it on a loop playing endlessly in your car.
The roaches will eventually commit suicide or become depressed and simply give up the will to live.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:06 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,270 times

Always be careful parking at Kona Airport

Old 11-21-2017, 03:32 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
We've never had them, even in our old beach car. But we don't eat in there or leave open food or food wrappers in there. And we roll up the windows when we park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii