Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 08:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times

Advertisements

Drove by Chick at 2:30 this afternoon.

Counted the cars lined on the street before they even got on the property - 10.

What struck me was not 1 and not 2 but 3 police cars dealing with traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2023, 08:29 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
For whatever reason - that particular McDonald's always seems very busy
Very true. This just seemed busier than normal. Could just be my perception, though.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Drove by Chick at 2:30 this afternoon.

Counted the cars lined on the street before they even got on the property - 10.

What struck me was not 1 and not 2 but 3 police cars dealing with traffic.
If they are required to have those police officers for vehicle control, I think that's corruption at its finest. This is something that can easily (and is) accomplished by Chick-fil-a employees at extremely busy locations on the mainland.

Old 08-02-2023, 09:03 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
If they are required to have those police officers for vehicle control, I think that's corruption at its finest. This is something that can easily (and is) accomplished by Chick-fil-a employees at extremely busy locations on the mainland.
Anyone can request a police presence for an event on Oahu. It costs $50/hr per officer. Likely requested by Chick. But still - that expense adds up fast.

Old 08-05-2023, 05:37 PM

122 posts, read 83,344 times
WOW. Drove by the Beretania location around 11:45 today. Three HPD cars parked in the curb lane with blue lights on, officers directing traffic into the proper lanes, one officer keeping a neighboring driveway clear; and cars backed up past Pensacola!. I have to admit, their marketing technique of using the "special duty" officers and presumably getting permits to cone the traffic lane during open hours works well to drive the frenzy.

PEOPLE, IT'S A CHICKEN SANDWICH!

Probably the same people that think Zippys is Da Bomb...

Old 08-05-2023, 05:44 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,747,409 times
Yeah I don’t understand the buzz around new openings or the long lines. CFA is among my least fav fast food places. It’s really bland.

Old 08-05-2023, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum808 View Post
WOW. Drove by the Beretania location around 11:45 today. Three HPD cars parked in the curb lane with blue lights on, officers directing traffic into the proper lanes, one officer keeping a neighboring driveway clear; and cars backed up past Pensacola!. I have to admit, their marketing technique of using the "special duty" officers and presumably getting permits to cone the traffic lane during open hours works well to drive the frenzy.

PEOPLE, IT'S A CHICKEN SANDWICH!

Probably the same people that think Zippys is Da Bomb...
This being Hawaii, I wouldn't be shocked if Chick-fil-a didn't have a choice but to have those cops there. For context, the traffic for the Chick-fil-a drive-thru on S. Beretania is consistent with Chick-fil-a locations I'm used to on the mainland; this is pretty standard, though time will tell whether this traffic remains here in Honolulu at that location. But on the mainland there are no police officers managing the traffic flow; that's done solely by drivers and Chick-fil-a employees themselves.

That said, I do recall that the condo association that oversees the building right next door expressed concerns with officials that Chick-fil-a vehicle traffic would block the building's driveway and that Chick-fil-a mentioned special measures to ensure that such wouldn't happen.

From my perspective, Chick-fil-a does what they do very well. If it was just a chicken sandwich, folks would be lining up at McDonald's, Wendy's, or Popeyes (the Popeyes' craze was there for a little while, but much of that quickly died down while Chick-fil-a has persisted).

Old 08-05-2023, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Yeah I don’t understand the buzz around new openings or the long lines. CFA is among my least fav fast food places. It’s really bland.
To each their own, but "bland" is one of the rare things I hear people say to describe Chick-fil-a food. This is a chicken restaurant that got it's start in the Deep South for context, where butter, lard, salt, pepper and other spices are the order of the day

Old 08-05-2023, 09:38 PM

122 posts, read 83,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
This being Hawaii, I wouldn't be shocked if Chick-fil-a didn't have a choice but to have those cops there. For context, the traffic for the Chick-fil-a drive-thru on S. Beretania is consistent with Chick-fil-a locations I'm used to on the mainland; this is pretty standard, though time will tell whether this traffic remains here in Honolulu at that location. But on the mainland there are no police officers managing the traffic flow; that's done solely by drivers and Chick-fil-a employees themselves.

Well, it was not that uncommon when BK was in that location to have cars lined up out in the traffic lane during busier times; McD across the street typically has a line most mornings and other times as well. Not as long of lines, but they both were certainly blocking traffic lanes for periods of time.

Also, the last time I was at the food court in Ala Moana, what had previously been a very long maze to follow for ordering from CF extending out into the seating area, was empty. There were only a handful of people in line. Of course, I was there for the Lahaina Chicken Co, right next to them. Now they have some great chicken!

Old 08-05-2023, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum808 View Post
Well, it was not that uncommon when BK was in that location to have cars lined up out in the traffic lane during busier times; McD across the street typically has a line most mornings and other times as well. Not as long of lines, but they both were certainly blocking traffic lanes for periods of time.

Also, the last time I was at the food court in Ala Moana, what had previously been a very long maze to follow for ordering from CF extending out into the seating area, was empty. There were only a handful of people in line. Of course, I was there for the Lahaina Chicken Co, right next to them. Now they have some great chicken!
When you consider that the actual Chick-fil-a drive-thru lanes and area (once you get off the street) hold considerably more vehicles than either McDonald's does or the old BK did (and that CFA has a considerably larger staff manning the drive-thru and taking orders/preparing food), you truly get a better sense of just how insane the traffic volume is at Chick-fil-a. And if it's anything like CFA locations on the mainland I'm used to, that's not going to die down anytime soon.

Contrast this to the McDonald's and old BK. Yes, as you mentioned, sometimes there will be a handful or two of cars extending onto the streets and blocking traffic lanes, but it was nothing in terms of what I'm used to for CFA on the mainland in terms of the consistency throughout the day. More importantly, McDonald's today (and BK previously)--even in its long drive-thru lanes periods--has only 1 (sometimes two people) actually taking orders; I can't remember the last time I pulled to the first intercom where I wasn't told to "pull to the next drive-thru intercom" when at the McDonald's drive-thru as there was only one person actually taking orders . . . and often I'm required to wait a couple of minutes before they are even ready to actually take my order. Put differently, in my experience the periodic drive-thru backup at McDonald's is due purely to that business's smaller staff size being unable to handle the smaller number of customers that they have (compared to Chick-fil-a).

Last time I was at the Ala Moana food court (which was 1-2 weeks ago), Chick-fil-a certainly didn't have those winding lines (that was the initial opening craze), but they were still probably the busiest business at the food court. They also have a waiting area where people who made orders through the app stand.

I'll have to give Lahaina Chicken Co a try, though

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 08-05-2023 at 10:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii