Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2020, 09:32 PM

64 posts, read 61,925 times

Advertisements

As of today we have 15 active cases of covid on Oahu. You probably couldn't catch covid if you tried. The peak of new cases was March 16th and 17th (per the DOH) and then dropped rapidly. February arrivals were at 30,000 per day and started falling off mid March. On March 16th the arrivals were still at 20,485. Up until March 16th the hotels, restaurants, public transit, beaches, shops, hotels were packed with tourists and locals. For the most part, no one was wearing masks or social distancing and mingled together as usual. The 14 day quarantine for arrivals started on March 26th. The spread of the virus started to collapse on March 17 before any of the shut-down orders and mitigation efforts even began. Look around the world, the virus does not seem to perform very well in this latitude and climate. Everything we are doing right now is political theater and the consequences are devastating.
It's just a salvage operation at this point.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:04 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Under latest Executive order - anyone in quarantine is banned from renting a car

Old 05-06-2020, 11:25 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Under latest Executive order - anyone in quarantine is banned from renting a car
It guess it makes sense on the one hand as it gives visitors under quarantine less ready means to travel and break quarantine that way. On the other hand, such a policy seems to needlessly put Uber/taxi drivers at risk of the visitors do have covid

Old 05-07-2020, 07:30 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,279 times
Quote:
That’s going to be a problem. I’m going to have a long walk from Kona airport to Nanawale Estates.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:38 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
As data and research floods in, it is looking more and more that outside is better than inside with regard to disease transmission of this virus. It is also looking like warmer, sunnier, more humid climates tend to have lower transmission rates, although this has notable exceptions and thus less clear at this time.

That said, if it plays out further that Hawaii is a safe-ish bet for travel - then a nice piece of the puzzle falls into place in terms of re-establishing tourism.

However, as air-travel is, obviously, one of the transmission-riskiest venues AND the only way to arrive in Hawaii ... arrrgh. Stymied!

But here is an interesting angle to insure travelers are COVID19-free ... thus assuring the public they can travel without significant risk:

Dogs are being trained to sniff out COVID-19 in humans
https://www.livescience.com/dogs-smell-covid-19.html

Sure, it’ll take time to bring such protocol into operation - if it works. And a bit ironic given Hawaii’s strict quarantine policies toward dogs ... still, pretty cool.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:56 AM

959 posts, read 1,216,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
As data and research floods in, it is looking more and more that outside is better than inside with regard to disease transmission of this virus. :
I have seen some people on TV saying this same thing. But I think it is ridiculous (just my opinion). It's all based on premise that many people have contracted the virus while in their homes.

But this is silly. The virus came into their homes from the outside to begin with. People leave their homes, go to the store, the gas station, etc. and bring the virus home with them. They then transfer it to other people within their home. And then other people use this to push the narrative that you're safer outside than in your home. This argument has been made often by people who want to end stay at home orders.

Just using a little critical thinking, it is pretty obvious that the only way transmission can occur inside the house is because someone went outside the house and brought the virus back in with them. But to twist it to say it means you're better off outside the house is off in my opinion.

You are far safer staying home, and thoroughly disinfecting anything that comes into the house from the outside ... including people and their clothes and anything they touch before they are disinfected.

Anyway, just thought I'd add my opinion to the mix.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:09 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
I have seen some people on TV saying this same thing. But I think it is ridiculous (just my opinion). It's all based on premise that many people have contracted the virus while in their homes.

But this is silly. The virus came into their homes from the outside to begin with. People leave their homes, go to the store, the gas station, etc. and bring the virus home with them. They then transfer it to other people within their home. And then other people use this to push the narrative that you're safer outside than in your home. This argument has been made often by people who want to end stay at home orders.

Just using a little critical thinking, it is pretty obvious that the only way transmission can occur inside the house is because someone went outside the house and brought the virus back in with them. But to twist it to say it means you're better off outside the house is off in my opinion.

You are far safer staying home, and thoroughly disinfecting anything that comes into the house from the outside ... including people and their clothes and anything they touch before they are disinfected.

Anyway, just thought I'd add my opinion to the mix.
“This argument” isn’t just limited to protestors and media talking heads, made in a vacuum free of erudition. A bit more is fleshed out in this article:

Quote:
Evidence mounts that outside is safer when it comes to COVID-19
... “It definitely spreads more indoors than outdoors,” said Roger Shapiro, a professor at Harvard University's T.H. Chan School of Public Health. “The virus droplets disperse so rapidly in the wind that they become a nonfactor if you're not really very close to someone outdoors — let’s say within six feet.” ...
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...es-to-covid-19

Old 05-07-2020, 09:32 AM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Link? But one can hail a cab/Uber?

Old 05-07-2020, 09:36 AM

80 posts, read 88,652 times
Quote:
Tourists have never bothered me - are that many people really that hot and bothered by them? Given how Hawaii has now learned a hard lesson that our survival is dependent on them - maybe attitudes will change.

I do think people, including myself, were hot and bothered by the pervasive AirBnb's. When you live in San Francisco, a local resident doesn't typically ever go to Fisherman's Wharf unless dragged there by a visiting friend - here, I like to go to Waikiki.....

With hotels on Waikiki previously running 90%+ occupancy all year round - we were at the peak of tourism except for those still breaking vacation rental laws.
In my circle at least, people were starting to get hot and bothered the past few years, certainly talking about tourists more than they used to. Airbnb's were the icing on the cake. If news stories are any indication, it does seem like there have been more tourism related pieces in recent years, though it could also be because I only starting paying attention to them.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:32 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Link? But one can hail a cab/Uber?
https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/re...ors-new-rules/

You can cab to your home/hotel. Can't imagine a Uber is possible - they aren't going to be sitting at the airport queue for so few passengers - when I go into the uber app, I usually see less than 10 on the entire island on Oahu.

Senators are proposing hotel quarantine guests not be allowed room keys to keep them in the rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii