Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 10:54 AM

1,731 posts, read 1,066,464 times

Advertisements

I'll second Waikikiboy's suggestion of Pualei Circle. Are you bringing or buying furniture? Mostly unfurnished rentals here. Waikiki has plenty of furnished rentals. Parts of Waikiki can be crazy noisy so if that is a real concern then definite the west end will be a little bit quieter.
If you can give up space then you could find something small on the Gold Coast in your price range.
https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/...183929167.html From that view Pualei is straight ahead behind the trees and that is the east end of Waikiki to the left. This property is on the water.

Why don't you want to ship your car? I'm not a car person and my 12 year old mainland car only has 25,000 miles and I'm in Honolulu without a car 6-7 months a year. I used to rent the weekend special from enterprise for only $40 a weekend but that has jumped up to $140! I think they may be eliminating that special completely. I really only need a car for a monthly Costco run and a trip to restaurants outside Waikiki. Being new to the island I think it will be worth it to bring your car to explore and help in your initial apartment hunt and it is my understanding that you can sell it here for more than what you would get on the mainland. The bus service is reliable and I've met a lot of people at the bus stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 11:51 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
If I were 27 and moving to Oahu, I might consider living near the UH Manoa campus...lots of 20-somethings. Otherwise Kaka'ako seems to be a popular area. Waikiki has lots of tourists and older people in high-rise condos. With 92k income, you can afford to try out a few neighborhoods for a week or a month using FRBO or Air B-n-B to find the right area for you. I think being Asian will be a plus.

Best of luck!
The somewhat ghetto housing near the campus is a good suggestion... kinda depends on his maturity level though. He's going to hear and see a lot of dumb college partying and drunken antics. if that's his cup of tea, great! 27 is a bit old though, the partying college kids is 18 - 24.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:05 PM

31 posts, read 27,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
The somewhat ghetto housing near the campus is a good suggestion... kinda depends on his maturity level though. He's going to hear and see a lot of dumb college partying and drunken antics. if that's his cup of tea, great! 27 is a bit old though, the partying college kids is 18 - 24.
Hmm yeah I’m not huge on being around drunkenness like that. I’ve gone through that phase and in general probably wanna socialize in a more adult setting that doesn’t involve getting **** faced till 4 am and ending the night eating mcdonald’s loll. I wouldn’t mind dating some 24-25 year old girls though, but definitely would be trying to find more mature people. Ie, the young, active professional crowd > rowdy college crowd.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
I'll second Waikikiboy's suggestion of Pualei Circle. Are you bringing or buying furniture? Mostly unfurnished rentals here. Waikiki has plenty of furnished rentals. Parts of Waikiki can be crazy noisy so if that is a real concern then definite the west end will be a little bit quieter.
If you can give up space then you could find something small on the Gold Coast in your price range.
https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/...183929167.html From that view Pualei is straight ahead behind the trees and that is the east end of Waikiki to the left. This property is on the water.

Why don't you want to ship your car? I'm not a car person and my 12 year old mainland car only has 25,000 miles and I'm in Honolulu without a car 6-7 months a year. I used to rent the weekend special from enterprise for only $40 a weekend but that has jumped up to $140! I think they may be eliminating that special completely. I really only need a car for a monthly Costco run and a trip to restaurants outside Waikiki. Being new to the island I think it will be worth it to bring your car to explore and help in your initial apartment hunt and it is my understanding that you can sell it here for more than what you would get on the mainland. The bus service is reliable and I've met a lot of people at the bus stop.
I’m thinking furnished might be the move - I don’t particularly want to spend the money or deal with furniture since my move is kind of indeterminate beyond a year or so’s estimate.

I don’t want to ship my car because I’d rather not pay that price.. How much would it cost? I assume it’d be like 1.5k one way atleast? If the number of car trips I’d need per month wasn’t too much, I could just uber where I needed to go in town and rent a car for special occasions. 140 a weekend is pretty hefty price, but so is 3k to ship both ways. That’s a good point though I need to look into the cost more.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:13 PM

Yeah it’s looking like it’ll cost about 3k to ship it both ways. That’s more than I’d want really. I’d need to rent a car for 21 weekends before I was saving money by having my car with me..

Might make sense to have my parents ship it later if I need it, they live in Seattle as well so it’d be very easy to get it shipped at any point. Would be a shame if I shipped my car and decided to bail out after a few months - think I’ll try to make ubers work for the time being. What about scooters though? I wonder if buying a scooter to get around the island might be a better route for exploring.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtyhours_ View Post
I’m thinking furnished might be the move - I don’t particularly want to spend the money or deal with furniture since my move is kind of indeterminate beyond a year or so’s estimate.

I don’t want to ship my car because I’d rather not pay that price.. How much would it cost? I assume it’d be like 1.5k one way atleast? If the number of car trips I’d need per month wasn’t too much, I could just uber where I needed to go in town and rent a car for special occasions. 140 a weekend is pretty hefty price, but so is 3k to ship both ways. That’s a good point though I need to look into the cost more.
Probably like 1k to ship your car if you drive it to the port in cali. Shipping from your state directly will cost more, maybe another 300-500. There's certain cars that you can make money by shipping over to hawaii, then selling and you can play the game where you buy a car from a no sales tax state, comply with the rules to get it to hawaii without paying the 4% import tax, then selling. Idk if you want to bother with all of that though. probably easier to dump your car in seattle and buy a new one here if you need it.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah it’s looking like it’ll cost about 3k to ship it both ways. That’s more than I’d want really. I’d need to rent a car for 21 weekends before I was saving money by having my car with me..

Might make sense to have my parents ship it later if I need it, they live in Seattle as well so it’d be very easy to get it shipped at any point. Would be a shame if I shipped my car and decided to bail out after a few months - think I’ll try to make ubers work for the time being. What about scooters though? I wonder if buying a scooter to get around the island might be a better route for exploring.
mopeds/scooters are generally considered death traps no matter where you go. the drivers here, especially the drunken ones don't respect them at all. Same for bicycles, and especially skateboards. Not very friendly.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:17 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,066,464 times
Quote:

Looks like about $1500 from Seattle. I would definitely not ship both ways. But if you stay 12 months then $125 a month would not even get you a weekend rental. Sounds like yo u may plan to keep the car with the parents just in case. A lot depends on your car. If not too old and running good I would say pay the $1500 and plan on selling on your way out. A car rental will cost at least $50 a day. So one a week would be $2600. Even just Uber will be more than that. You will want to explore the island and even if you explore just one day a week you still will not see all you want. Once you've been there, done that there is less need for a car.

Scooters and motorcycles will get stolen or get you run over. Ask me how I know.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:24 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
Something else to consider with regard to a car, parking is expensive, hard to find, and not necessarily included with rental units.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:34 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
The thing with living in Waikiki is that most of the folks there are extremely transitory and you don't make deep connections. Kinda like being on a cruise ship, loads of shallow conversations and all of them start with name and where you're from. Then the folks wander off and you never see them again. I lived in Waikiki for about ten years and there's only two folks from there that are still on my 'friend' list. Not a lot of connections for a ten year stay.

The same ten year stay in a small town, Honokaa, on Hawaii Island, has resulted in more than dozens of friends and lots of acquaintances. When you're in a lower density of population, folks have time to 'see' you and talk. When you're in a settled area the folks you meet are still there to meet again.

A software engineer moved in next to us at the beginning of the virus, he seems quite happy. Not quite sure what sort of software he's working on, some sort of app. He starts pretty early in the morning and has his afternoons free because of the time differences. They bought the house and shipped over a car although they walk to the skate park and town a lot and leave the car at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii