Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 04:53 PM

31 posts, read 27,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post

I have been reading this forum for some time, but never posted about my pending move here because i just did not want to engage with all the negativity. It is a wonder why some of them live here given the impossible place they make it out to be sometimes.

When that negativity is directed at someone who has no job and wants to move here and live off the land, etc. I largely tend to agree with them. But, in a situation of a single person making close to $100k a year wants to come here for a short stay to experience the state while they are young, i just don't understand all the hand-wringing.
Best of luck to you as well man! I agree with your perspective. I have been through far worse than overspending haha. I've spent many bouts of my life unemployed, being **** out of luck, nearly died from an accident once, etc, but I've recovered through perseverance and regimen.

I'm confident I can **** up my life and get it back together again because I've literally done it before. Not to say that that'll happen, but worst case scenario is really not all that bad. I'm taking their opinions with a grain of salt, and assuming that the extreme ones have some life experience potentially biasing their opinions and are unable to see past them, probably similar to the way that I'm unable to see their point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 04:54 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtyhours_ View Post
Places with rent / utilities at or under 1800 exist, that are also furnished. https://www.apartments.com/under-190...46ozz-nSt0y6pJ

500$ for groceries, still is like 2300 for rent / utilities / groceries.

Let's say, maybe I take two weekend trips via car rental (140 ea) a month, and maybe 2 surf lessons (85 ea), that's still only gonna be 450 dollars. Spend 6 nights out at a bar, 50 bucks a piece? Roughly another 300 bucks. That'd be splurging for me already. I can happily cut drinking/eating out and instead just opt for running with some people on a local trail. I can live pretty damn conservatively and still be content. Just because I'm on Hawaii doesn't mean I need to be a tourist every weekend. A run on a local trail to the beach that ends in some sunset photography is ideal for me, and that'd be straight up free.

I also just don't think I'll need to uber around if I live in Waikiki, that's the point of living in Waikiki. I'll get groceries down the street, run somewhere locally, cook at home, and when I do feel like going outside, I'll walk. Sure, I might have to take one every once in a while. Especially if I need to make a Costco run or something, but still, yeah an uber might cost 20 bucks, but if it does, I just will take less of them? Is that not the entire point of living in an urban metro by the beach? You have everything near you so you can stay put.

I mean, this is just my rationale, I'm looking at the numbers and 3k / month is probably closer to what I'd actually spend on the more generous side, but maybe you're still seeing something I'm not seeing or I'm being naive.
Financially, you won't have any trouble at all. You will be money ahead of many of the people your age who are here and enjoying life. Pull the trigger! You won't regret it.

I wish I had moved here much earlier in life!

Old 10-25-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
i just don't understand all the hand-wringing.
Yeah if you're talking about this whtviper guy, I've already just written him off as someone whose had a **** experience and a poor attitude. Not even worth engaging him at this point. LOL

Old 10-25-2020, 04:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtyhours_ View Post
I've spent many bouts of my life unemployed, being **** out of luck, nearly died from an accident once, etc, but I've recovered through perseverance and regimen.
And your 27? Sounds like some of the worst luck on the planet. Many bouts unemployed?

Running away from life’s problems are rarely solved in Hawaii

Old 10-25-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
And your 27? Sounds like some of the worst luck on the planet. Many bouts unemployed?

Running away from life’s problems are rarely solved in Hawaii
You might see it as bad luck, I see it as some phenomenal lessons. I was technically "unemployed", but I was always working on my passion projects and developing my skills. Skills that the CEO of my company now saw and was inspired by. He's an ex director of big tech and supposedly has an eye for talent. He decided to take a chance on me, so hell it must have been something he saw in me.

I don't care to compromise my youth for the sake of not taking risks. You only live once, so might as well give it your best shot. You never fail in life, you learn and live to fight another day until you die in my opinion.

I've put myself in a place where I can succeed, due to the risks that I took earlier in life. Not having a full time job was one of them, but I was able to leverage all of the time I spent "unemployed," which really, was me learning how to develop, market, and design online, to become a full stack app developer who can design, take photos, market products, create MVPs, etc.

To be frank, I don't even know why I'm bothering to explain this to you. Your opinion really doesn't matter to me and I've got everything I need to succeed and be happy so, sorry for whatever happened to you. I'm just trying to show you there's another type of mindset out there that isn't filled with the dreary **** that you've been spewing. Hope you can learn from them at some point rather than spending your time attempting to stir negativity in the minds of young people on an internet forum that looks like it was built in the early 90s. Lmao, talking to me about bad luck. Your responses speak volumes into how much bad luck you've had. Sucks you never learned to bounce back from them.

Last edited by thirtyhours_; 10-25-2020 at 05:14 PM..

Old 10-25-2020, 05:08 PM

Yawn.

So - again, you are 27 - but somehow know what a forum would look like from the early 90’s.

See folks - it literally only takes a few moments of my time to flesh out the fakes.

It is just too easy sometimes and I shouldn’t be shocked but shocked the rest of you don’t see it.

Your are welcome.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:16 PM

Ok dude you got me, I've created a fake budget, fake age, and fake income so I can go indulge in a fake life in Hawaii and I'm on this internet forum to con people who I will probably never in my life meet in person. Nice. Nailed it. You're ****in Sherlock Holmes my guy.

Anyways, super happy to talk to people who are rational and less pessimistic if anyone is reading this. Though, judging from what I'm seeing from the other comments, I'm mostly now considering a move to Waikiki next April or early summer, unless I'm seeing another case for going to Maui or elsewhere.

TBH Waikiki or DT Honolulu sounds about right for my situation / preferences, which was my initial intuition and thought process, but that's only really been further confirmed by what I'm hearing here (from the reasonable folks).

Last edited by thirtyhours_; 10-25-2020 at 05:26 PM..

Old 10-25-2020, 05:35 PM

Now we are April or early summer. Gets better all the time.

Hate to tell you but your fake post was obvious from the start. Come on, you can do better next time

Old 10-25-2020, 05:36 PM

Lol mate, I actually appreciate that. If you think my life is too good to be true, that must mean I'm doing something right and I do actually feel proud of what I've been able to accomplish regardless of whatever you think. Thank you. See you at Lanikai next year. I'll be the guy whose enjoying himself.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:37 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,066,464 times
Here's a hellhole that Lord Viper is talking about.

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/...214621928.html

appropriately named the Royal Kuhio.. LOL I do have Waikiki rentals below $2,000 that I would say are better than 90% of the hotels in Waikiki.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii