Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 09:33 AM

76 posts, read 198,330 times

Advertisements

Flygirl - you are absolutely correct. You can deal with the charter companies themselves, you can deal with charter brokers or you can deal with companies such as Dog Travel who act as a a travel agent. I worked in the travel industry for years, put together many trips with charter flights, but I could not tell you one tail number. Think of it this way - it is sort of like a spring break trip. Most travel companies who sell spring break trips deal with charters. They contract with the different flights for the different weeks of spring break based on how many students want to go on a particular trip. The key is to find the company who has the best reputation and the appropriate credentials. There are some really good companies and there are some really bad companies. You just need to do your homework and make sure you are buying from a good company.
As for the vets who inspected the dogs - I am sure they have dozens who do this. But you can call the quarantine people at the airport and they can tell you that they have had people come in with dogs in cabin on charter flights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 03:34 PM

96 posts, read 307,489 times
I hope that you find enough people to do the charter flight. What a wonderful idea. I moved to Hawaii 15 years ago and hated it for so many years because we left my beloved dog behind due to the quarantine/flight.
My husband was offered a job this past year in Hawaii (we chose DC instead) and we turned it down due to the quarantine and the flight for our 3 cats.
Paradise just was not worth it (but the non furry memebers of the family are coming for a vacation in August) for us.
Good luck.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:32 AM

Thank you gotjenks!

Honestly - with our doggie being so old, I wish we could turn it down or at least delay it by a couple of years, but that is not an option. So I am VERY motivated to make this work! We have a pretty good group who are interested, so I think it will work. How fun will that be! I can't wait to take pictures of THIS trip!

Old 06-21-2009, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,443 times
I'm just checking in on how things are going with this charter. I live in San Francisco and am moving to Honolulu in mid-July for graduate school (without my 18lb boston terrier). Originally I was going to have him stay with my mother until late December at which point I was going to bring him over after visiting home for the holidays (when it was cooler/safer and when I was established and had a routine). I never really considered a charter because of the expense but I like this pooling-together idea.

I've got his titer long ago and all his necessary documentation re: rabies shots, and he's microchipped etc. so I'm not worried about quarantine.

If you guys are indeed leaving in late October, what are the odds I could arrange to have my dog go with you (without me as I'll already be in Hawaii). I could have my mother arrange to meet you at a bay area airport if you are leaving from there (or elsewhere in Northern California). Would the cost be less if there is just a dog (and not an extra person)? I do feel like it's a risk to entrust him with strangers but then again it's just as much a risk to entrust him with airline personnel I've never met..

Alternatively, has anyone found an airline who doesn't arrive in Honolulu in the middle of the day and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? It seems like most airlines flying in from the San Francisco area arrive in Honolulu between 11am and 3pm; the hottest time of day. My other alternative is using Continental Airlines' "Quickpak/Petsafe" cargo service which is catered to animals.

No luck yet... just considering all my options, that's all.

Last edited by 7th generation; 06-22-2009 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: New members are not allowed to post links. Sorry

Old 06-23-2009, 07:09 AM

8 posts, read 18,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link7881 View Post
Have you checked on the charter flight? I believe that in the past my brother did it and got a flight -- $7500 for the dog ...plus you....

Hawaii Tours
Hi,
My husband and I are moving to the Big Island with four pets. We are flexible on dates but sometime mid to late August as the earliest. I'd like to share an "empty leg" charter. We live in Dallas, TX but would drive to Calif. as it seems the majority of charters leave from there.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:19 AM

Hi, I'd be interested in joining you. I have two small dogs, l0 lbs. and two cats who would be in carriers. My pets have all the health certificates from the Kansas Lab and are ready for late August or later departure. Are you interested in an empty leg charter?

Old 06-23-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shareaircharterhawaii View Post
Hi, I would like to share a charter jet to hawaii. I have 5 dogs & need to fly them to hawaii but would like to cut costs by sharing a chartered jet so the pets can fly in the cabin with us. Anyone interested??
I'm interested in sharing a charter - have two small dogs and two cats. Will be moving to the Big Island.

Last edited by 7th generation; 06-26-2009 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: do not post your e mail addy here. use the DM feature to contact other members. thanks

Old 06-23-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAnn87 View Post
Thank you for finding that pet airways website, I entered every major city in Hawaii, I am moving at the end of Aug. and have two cats, It would be amazing if that would work out.
Hi,
I just read your post. What have you been able to line up for the end of August with your pets? I'm also moving about that time with four pets.
Thanks,

Old 06-23-2009, 09:02 AM

Hi Caroleh!

We would love to have you join our group. We do not have a date yet, but are looking at late fall. We are trying to find as many people and pets as possible to fill the airplane. So waiting might be better for everyone,as it would help to bring the price down. What is the latest date you would be willing to go?

Hi Mootopia!

I think we are leaning towards a flight out of Long Beach or LAX or somewhere in that area. Possibly one originating from the east coast (if we have enough people and it doesn't drive the cost up too much!) with a stop out there. When the price is set it will be a per passenger price and each dog will be considered a passenger, as they will have their own seat. Depending on who we book through, for example Dog Travel Company, requires at least one person for every 2 dogs. One per hand!

Old 06-23-2009, 12:52 PM

Smile Charters to Hawaii with Pets

With four pets, it will be too expensive for me to go the Dog Travel Co. as they charge per head - human and pet. Is this correct?
I'm looking to share an empty leg with 8 - 12 people flying out of Van Nuys, CA. I have been quoted for a heavy jet, $25,000 - $35,000. These jets hold 10 - 16 people but we have to allow for the pets. So I'd say 8 - 10. I've contacted two charter companies today and they said 6 weeks out is about all we need.
Please send me a direct message if you are interested.
Carole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii