Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Give Up Living In Hawaii to Live in Boston for $30,000 More?
YES 14 22.22%
NO 49 77.78%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 04:17 PM

287 posts, read 1,371,819 times

Advertisements

If the economy is going to get worse...why would you not take a $30,000 increase in pay for a couple of years and then return when things are better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 04:31 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,115 times
Well at aprox. 25k per 1 way move to like Bosten and with all the other losses it would have to be a longer stay.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
Well at aprox. 25k per 1 way move to like Bosten and with all the other losses it would have to be a longer stay.
That's a good point. This would probably be a 3 year investment at minimum to recognize the renumeration benefit from the increased income...otherwise you would have moved, uprooted the family, changed job for no additional monetary benefit.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:53 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,115 times
Default https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawaii/616758-giving-up-hawaii-30-000-more-3.html#post8342745

thanks . This is what I'm pondering now 5 years ag i moved from So. Cal. to Western NY now we thinking very seriously about moving to Hilo..

And to correct myself its Boston not Bosten but i still dont like the place

Old 04-14-2009, 05:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
boston is wonderful and closer to reality. so many people i have known who came back from hawaii had developed issues, i dont have a clue why.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
boston is wonderful and closer to reality. so many people i have known who came back from hawaii had developed issues, i dont have a clue why.
Interesting! I wonder if it was depression that they developed because of their moving away from Hawaii? Ha!

Old 04-14-2009, 08:24 PM

62 posts, read 223,455 times
Personally, I wouldn't move away from Hawaii for any amount. I am in just the opposite boat. I will be taking a HUGE pay cut to move to Hawaii full time...but in my personal opinion its well worth it. It all comes down to what is important to you. Fortunately for me...its not money. However, I do not have any children just my wife and I and I am looking for the atmosphere that Hawaii provides. I love the people, the land, of course the weather and generally everything to do with the islands. I just know that I belong there.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii Bound View Post
Personally, I wouldn't move away from Hawaii for any amount. I am in just the opposite boat. I will be taking a HUGE pay cut to move to Hawaii full time...but in my personal opinion its well worth it. It all comes down to what is important to you. Fortunately for me...its not money. However, I do not have any children just my wife and I and I am looking for the atmosphere that Hawaii provides. I love the people, the land, of course the weather and generally everything to do with the islands. I just know that I belong there.

I find leaving Hawaii very hard and my wife is dead set against it. The reality is after taxes there is not much left of the money. $30,000 more might be lots of money, but after tax and moving costs it doesn't seem like that much.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:18 PM

737 posts, read 1,461,939 times
I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm from the Boston area originally and my whole family is still out there. My girlfriend is from the big island and we met in Boston when she was attending college. We were planning a move to L.A. and when we got there found out that her dad fell ill and we had to live on the big island to take care of him. Sadly, he passed 7 months later. That was 6 years ago. We stuck around because I had a great job and we needed to tie up a bunch of loose ends. So, no regrets there. Now that the economy out here is hurting we are both struggling just like many of our neighbors/friends out here. For us it would be a wise move to head back to Boston were we would have help from family and friends. Not to mention the extra $30,000! Also, there would be many more job opportunities for us in the Boston area. I guess it just depends what you want. Some people just don't want to give up the great weather. We are personally over living here. We love the weather and natural beauty(and have taken advantage of it for the past 6 years)and all but it is just too expensive to live here right now. Not to mention we are isolated, crappy job market, overall apathy/ignorance(dogs not tied up? revving your hotrod at 5am? driving 50mph in a 25mph zone in a neighborhood that has TONS of children and lots of elderly people?) from the people who live here and nothing really changes. We are both in our early 30's and miss seeing our favorite bands, walking to the neighborhood pub for a pint, walking to go see a movie... There are many other things that are bugging us and making our lives miserable. Having said that, the same problems may not be a factor for other people living here. It all depends. Can't wait to get out!

Old 04-17-2009, 03:25 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHa View Post
Here is the breakdown:
1. $10,000 in relocation allowance - moving etc.
2. $5,000 in living expenses - first month living expenses until you find a place to live etc.
3. After taxes etc. $18-20,000 difference...new salary low nineties.
4. Wife...stay home mom.

Thoughts?
Low 90s for a family in Boston ain't that much money. You must be a pretty thrifty family if you are able to make in Waikiki with significantly less than that, but Boston isn't cheap either. Are you talking downtown or suburban Boston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: