Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 01:46 PM

18 posts, read 49,203 times

Advertisements

Between surfing, swimming and hiking, did you lose weight after moving to Hawaii?

or did you stay the same or even gained weight?

I understand that Mac Salad is a very common side that is high in calories.

thanks

- HawaiianFoodLover

Last edited by hawaiianfoodlover; 12-16-2009 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: spaces
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 02:21 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,616 times
Quite the opposite!

Food is a big, big part of the social life here. Every neighborhood gathering, every celebration, every group outing includes food, and lots of it.

I've learned that many expect to have/serve way more food than the guests can possibly consume, with the idea that the guests take home ziplock bags full of food. If you bring just a small dish to share, some here will consider you stingy.

Plus after I moved here, I settled in to work and to house projects and chores. Less time to do all the activities than when I was here on vacation or even when looking for a house.

I suppose if you aren't inclined to exercise where ever you live now, you may not do it here either.

Another thing is that the local menus are often a lot of meat and starch. Mac salad as you noticed. Plate lunches rarely include much in the way of veggies or fruits. You don't have to accept this menu mix, but it is not uncommon for our neighborhood potluck tables to have a lot of dishes of meat, rice, potatoes, and dessert, with just one fruit or veggie platter.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:29 PM

18 posts, read 49,203 times
Wow, what is a neighborhood potluck? Never been to one of those before, because all the neighbor keep to themselves around here.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:56 PM

432 posts, read 1,202,950 times
"Light Pupus" at pau hana can be as much food as most mainlanders would think might constitute dinner! And then you eat again in an hour or so.

We always put out plenty of Ziplocs and Cool Whip containers, etc., whenever folks come over. As noted, it is expected that food will be so plentiful that leftovers will be shared as a matter of routine.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:33 PM

312 posts, read 1,374,463 times
me and my husband both lost weight moving to the big island, and lived much, much healthier than we did in Texas. The food might be more fattening (maybe not coming from texas...) but it was fresher, easier access to healthier, fresher foods, and it's a lot easier to be WAY more active anywhere in Hawai'i. It's all in what you choose to do and how you want to live!

Old 12-16-2009, 04:36 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactastica View Post
me and my husband both lost weight moving to the big island, and lived much, much healthier than we did in Texas. The food might be more fattening (maybe not coming from texas...) but it was fresher, easier access to healthier, fresher foods, and it's a lot easier to be WAY more active anywhere in Hawai'i. It's all in what you choose to do and how you want to live!
I so agree with this rep points to you. I haven't moved to the BI yet but my wife and I know we will loose weight there just the fresh seafood in place of fish fry friday here willl be soo much better.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:02 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Yup, if you have extra you give it to your neighbors and they send the container back full of something else. Roll up the windows on your car during mango or avocado season, otherwise you may come back and find your car filled with mangoes and avocados.

We have potluck Pau Hana every Friday and there's always leftovers. We try real hard to give it all away so we won't have to eat it for the next three days.

We had forty folks get together for Thanksgiving, everyone took food away and there's still leftovers even yet. I think I'll give them to the chickens now since soon there will be Christmas leftovers. Usually we fill a plate and cover it with aluminum foil instead of putting it in a ziplock, but some folks like ziplocks. If folks bring their own plates, such as they did for Thanksgiving, then it is easy to fill the plate, cover it and take it home.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:48 PM

155 posts, read 544,855 times
Yes. Could not afford a car. (Paid off credit cards instead - yipee!)

Got a bicycle. Have lost a few pounds, the healthy way. Went back home for Thanksgiving. My girl friends said I've got sexy legs and a nice tan. (Husband says my legs are sexy, not matter what - bless the man!)

Old 12-16-2009, 06:20 PM

229 posts, read 929,343 times
Lost 11 lbs in 5 months which is a big loss for me. I'm not athletic. It took awhile for the Gas Company to install propane, so it was sandwiches and cold cereal. Plus it was too hot to eat most days, anyway. Working on the house the rest of the time. Drank a lot of bottled water.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:34 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times
There are plenty of "endomorphic" types in Hawaii too. I'm one of them, have gained weight every year. Love them alligator pears & kalua pig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii