Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:50 AM

40 posts, read 116,361 times

Advertisements

That's understandable. I'm not trying to get into it w/ anyone on here...just looking for the most valuable information from you guys who already live there. So...let me fix this...let me remove the BI from the picture completely.

Please help w/ these 2:
Kapolei, HI- this is the location im leaning towards at the moment
-or-
Kailua-Kona

Will be looking to purchase a boat here and looking to make friends w/ die hard fisherman as well. Fishing is my life outside of family and work. I live on the Gulf Coast at the moment and have my 6-Pack Captains license. Could someone please..on top of pro's and con's of the above posted areas..post some advice on top guides for this island/area and also what areas are noted for great fishing on oahu. What island is noted as having the best fishing?

We'll be moving on the 12th of Feb. so not much time to figure this out.

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 11:58 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieG View Post
That's understandable. I'm not trying to get into it w/ anyone on here...just looking for the most valuable information from you guys who already live there. So...let me fix this...let me remove the BI from the picture completely.

Please help w/ these 2:
Kapolei, HI- this is the location im leaning towards at the moment
-or-
Kailua-Kona

Will be looking to purchase a boat here and looking to make friends w/ die hard fisherman as well. Fishing is my life outside of family and work. I live on the Gulf Coast at the moment and have my 6-Pack Captains license. Could someone please..on top of pro's and con's of the above posted areas..post some advice on top guides for this island/area and also what areas are noted for great fishing on oahu. What island is noted as having the best fishing?

We'll be moving on the 12th of Feb. so not much time to figure this out.

Thanks very much!
Kailua Kona is on the west side of the Big Island and also happens to be the sports fishing capitol of Hawaii.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:58 AM

285 posts, read 1,082,896 times
my vote goes for Kapolei. Reason, close to honolulu and activities and night life etc that the other islands just dont have. Also more shopping. It is not unheard of to catch a flight to another island for a little getaway from time to time if needed.

Last edited by timbo31958; 01-15-2010 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-15-2010, 12:12 PM

40 posts, read 116,361 times
How far apart are the 2 (Kapolei-Kona) in terms of driving miles?

Also what is the drive time to get from Kapolei to Honolulu?

Anyone know any recommendable guides on the island?

Old 01-15-2010, 12:17 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
As a medical person, you probably wouldn't have to worry about hospitality towards newcomers. As "the new doctor" you'd fit right into a nice pleasant pigeon hole in their database and it's all good. Kailua Kona does have the best sportfishing, the Big Island in general has a lot more hiking than Oahu.

Kailua-Kona is a bit more of a "town" than a "city" but Oahu is a quick plane trip away for when you wanted to scratch a major shopping or partying itch. The fishing is much better on the Big Island. There are several nice harbors to launch a boat out of on the Kona side and those boats hook up with some monster marlin. Personally, I kinda prefer catching "bait" those nice small two to ten pound fish are just the right size for me and fit in the skillet much better.

I'd say Kailua-Kona with a nice Force 24 would be a nice lifestyle. Small enough boat that you can launch it yourself yet big enough to go annoy the largest marlins. Add a swim extension off the back for scuba or to carry the kayaks and you're good to go. There are also folks who fish for mahimahi and marlin on kayaks. They say you can get a pretty wild ride with a kayak and a good sized fish.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:27 PM

737 posts, read 1,462,176 times
Quote:

Kona is on THE BIG ISLAND! Can't drive there from Kapolei. I would vote Kona as well. Thats where most of the transplants go that either have money or really good job prospects. I personally prefer the Hilo side(more run down, better food, more rain). Good luck!

Old 01-15-2010, 12:30 PM

737 posts, read 1,462,176 times
Quote:

Oh wait, unless you are confusing KAILUA on Oahu and KAILUA-KONA on The Big Island? Either way, mapquest or google earth are great tools. Maps in general are very helpful.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:33 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,465 times
Quote:
Moving to Hawaii and have choices in these cities for a Job in the Medical field:

Kapolei, HI
Kailua-Kona, HI
Hilo, HI

Wife and i are in our late 20's and love scuba diving, kayaking, sport fishing, hiking etc. But as far as new arrivals what area would be best for hospitality towards newcomers?

Thx
You say one of your choices is Kapolei, which is on the south-west corner of Oahu, and you are an orthopedic surgeon. Most of the major hospitals on Oahu are near downtown Honollulu, which is a pretty horrendous commute from Kapolei in rush hour. I would ask some serious questions about where you will be practicing.

Are you sure the Kailua where you may work is on the Big Island? There is a Kailua on Oahu. Kailua-Kona is on the Big Island, but people confuse the two all the time.

Google Maps Street View is now available all over Oahu (where Kapolei is), but is not available on the Big Island of Hawaii (where Kailua-Kona and Hilo are). Here is a street view of Kapolei (actually Kapolei Parkway, where it moves over into the next town, Ewa Beach). I would start there, and click the arrows on the street line to move around the area. You can get a pretty good idea of the place that way. At any spot, you can grab the N on the circle in the upper left, rotate it, and get a 360 degree view. You can also grab the little man in the lower right and drag him around the map to any of the areas where the streets are outlined in blue:

Kapolei - Google Maps

Old 01-15-2010, 12:38 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,465 times
Quote:
It depends on the time of day. During the commute it can be well over an hour. Maybe closer to two. At 2 in the morning, 30 minutes. It's 22 miles.

http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=Ho...07961&t=h&z=12

Hank

Old 01-15-2010, 01:17 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,556 times
Default Fish'n

The great thing about Hawaii in general and Kona specifically when it comes to fishing is that the pelagic species of fish aren't far offshore. In Hawaii the water gets real deep within sight of land.

Here is a chart that shows fish species and times of year.

Hawaii Pelagic Fish Migration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii