Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 08:27 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,556 times

Advertisements

For what it's worth I still think that if fishing, scuba and other oceans sports our important to you then Kona would be a much better choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 02:07 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
There are some folks in Hilo who build Force boats. Great boats for this area since you are basically in open ocean as soon as you launch. If I could afford it, I'd get a 24' force and go out and annoy the marlin. All we have are kayaks so the marlin are safe.

There are some new car dealers in Hilo as well as a lot of used cars. Folks don't really judge you by what you drive so you don't have to get a fancy car. If you are getting a boat, then maybe a truck to move it with would be good, but the gas mileage on trucks aren't so good. Hmm.

There are quite a few old car clubs around, if you are going to get a "fancy" car, then an old classic might be a thing to have.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:17 PM

5 posts, read 14,661 times
Default Oahu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
I'm not refering to how you will accept people but how well they will accept you. Your initial posting expressed concern for fitting in so I felt Kona would be best versus Hilo.
No offense... but, sooooo bogus ! A surgeon would be well perceived and respected by the locals. We welcome you and your family! Aloha

However, technology is best on Oahu. Scuba, snorkeling, surfing spots and experts are abundant here. Traveling to the neighbor islands is just a hop, skip, jump away. The neighboring islands are remote and offer the same beauty in their land and people.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:55 PM

40 posts, read 116,361 times
THX hotz...very good info..and greatly appreciated...i will definitely look into Force boats. I've found a few car dealerships online and will be purchasing used... probably SUV and it will have to be 4X4. I've lived on an island b4 and know what the salty air can do to a vehicle. Plus the wife and i are simple people who enjoy the simple things in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There are some folks in Hilo who build Force boats. Great boats for this area since you are basically in open ocean as soon as you launch. If I could afford it, I'd get a 24' force and go out and annoy the marlin. All we have are kayaks so the marlin are safe.

There are some new car dealers in Hilo as well as a lot of used cars. Folks don't really judge you by what you drive so you don't have to get a fancy car. If you are getting a boat, then maybe a truck to move it with would be good, but the gas mileage on trucks aren't so good. Hmm.

There are quite a few old car clubs around, if you are going to get a "fancy" car, then an old classic might be a thing to have.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:37 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
The waters around Kailua-Kona tend to be much calmer than those around Hilo. That makes for much better fishing (and fewer sea-sick passengers). Kona has the best harbor for smaller fishing boats as well.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
The waters around Kailua-Kona tend to be much calmer than those around Hilo. That makes for much better fishing (and fewer sea-sick passengers). Kona has the best harbor for smaller fishing boats as well.

THX!!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:23 PM

Since you were asking about shipping a boat from Maui to Hilo, you've found a boat already?

Old 01-19-2010, 01:50 PM

I've found a CAT in Maui i'm interested in. Just curious if i purchase the boat how to get it from A to B.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:45 PM

Cats are fun! Although they are very stable. Either right side up or upside down. Shipping is a much better choice for a cat than sailing across the Aleniuhaha, especially for a boat you aren't familiar with. Call Young Brothers and ask them for a quote. Is it on a trailer? Is this like a Hobie or Prindle?

Old 01-21-2010, 10:44 PM

It's a power cat...not a sailing cat. I would love to learn to sail. But my eye is on the fishing at the moment. It's a Twin Vee. Also looking at the sea fox 23' walkarounds from Windward boats on Oahu. Not sure though. I have experience on Power Cats...mainly Glacier Bays and World Cats. They ride great...especially where i'm from..gulf coast..where the waves are choppy and close together. Just know whatever i come across must have twin outboards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii