Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:13 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,694,898 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this is out of place here, but I was looking for a good Poi recipe. First (and last) time I tried I ended up with a slimy gooey tasteless mess that I forced myself to eat. I blended one cup of cooked taro with one cup of water and a pinch of salt but ate it straight away. Would be good to know why this stuff is so popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 08:56 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,532 times
How did you 'blend' the taro and water? Usually, poi is fed to babies and foreigners with sugar and milk- making it more palatable before becoming accustomed to the regular poi.

Poi is usually eaten with other foods, thereby flavoring the poi with the taste of lomi lomi salmon, kalua pig, lau lau or squid luau.

Try poi that is pre-prepared and after a few times if you do not care for it do not eat it- but please keep your negative opinions to yourself when you see others eating and enjoying it.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:28 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,902 times
I think poi is commercially made by milling now, but traditional poi was pounded by a stone on a wooden base, which substantially changes the moisture-to-solid ratio, and creates different carbohydrate bonds and structures (texture) than blending.

When I've had commercial luau poi, I can see why people compare it to wallpaper paste, but when I've had pounded poi, it's more like firm baked potato (almost crystalline) and looks more like seiyō wasabi, and is eaten in small bites with smoked fish or meat as Melanie mentioned.

Please try the real thing!

Old 02-06-2010, 09:43 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,129 times
If you really want to know read up on the Hawaiin true culter. Poi was very good product for starcht and vitamains. Usually ate with salted products because of no ice so things were salted. It would also balance out the portions of taste.

Agree with Whynot and get the real thing. I am not accomplished at given a reciepe though. Maybe someday. I do myself prefer the purple poi. It does counter balance the salty of salted fish.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:50 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,610 times
Poi is very serious business to many Hawaiian people and a large part of the culture. Historically it was pounded for consumption with great ceremony and now it's done commercially. Long ago I remember the neighbors always offered me poi with fish and told me about 2 or 3 finger style. They always made a huge deal out of it being sour.
At any luau I have been to, there was always Kulolo; which is a dessert made from poi.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:14 PM

I have learned 1 - 2 - 3 finger style is the thickness of the poi. Again no expert. 1 being thinest to 3 thickest.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:58 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,147 times
Thumbs up Poi...

Not sure about that 'crystallized' poi, never heard of it. There is, indeed 1-2-3 finger poi...1 being the thicker substance (only takes 1 finger to eat it)...3 being the thinner variety. Also.. there is 'wet' poi and 'dry' poi. Wet poi comes from taro grown in water (rice paddy style) and is dark purple, dry poi is made from taro that is grown in the ground and is reddis brown.
Now...da kine poi is from Waipio Valley on the BI. It is wet and dark purple...and processed w/much aloha...mmmmm...
Koale

Old 02-07-2010, 12:51 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
Yeah, Waipio valley poi is ono. My friend's mom makes it exceptionally well. It is a sweeter poi than many and goes really well with kalua pork or fish. Two finger kind, mostly.

For folks first trying poi, consider it a gravy instead of an entree item. Unless you get an exceptional poi, it isn't all that good by itself but generally goes great with fish or meat. Watch and see how the knowledgeable folks eat it, then do as they do.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:52 PM

737 posts, read 1,462,063 times
Sour poi is my fav. Mix in a little kalua pig and cabbage... mmmmmmm

Old 02-07-2010, 11:14 PM

Maloha for correcting me for 1 - 2 -3 Koale. Or Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii