Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 06:06 AM

647 posts, read 2,085,392 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some comments about Polynesian culture. I would like to know more about the people, their views on different things, food, attitudes, etc.

I know that i look it up on Wikipedia or whatever, but, I would like some comments from real people here....from polynesians on this forum or from some of you all who are in this culture in Hawaii.

Has modern Hawaii held on to this culture or has commericalism, etc. ruined all this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 08:38 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,900,976 times
I almost answered your other post about alternative ("pure") ways to visit with suggestions that you and your family do your trip planning as a kind of group research project. Now I'm confused. Aren't you in American Samoa? Isn't American Samoa *part* of what's usually defined as Polynesia?

Hold on to your hat -- you're likely to get lots of interesting perspectives on this. I recommend doing some independent reading, though. At least on "Wikipedia or whatever." Facts and opinion tend to blend over time in all histories. The more sources you expose yourself to, the better you'll be able to form a comprehensive view of how we got where we are.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:19 AM

There were some good ideas in my other thread. That link about the organic farming seems really interesting. My goal is to really experience Hawaii and get to know it "apart" from all the usual touristy cliche driven concepts.

As for the location under my username, I change it all the time, so don't take that too seriously.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:33 PM

96 posts, read 620,370 times
first off im no expert but have learned 'some' things about Polynesian culture in general. there really isn't one definitive answer as Polynesia isn't one single country like say Italy or somewhere where the culture is more of singular definition. Polynesia includes many islands in the Pacific, many believe that people who now inhabit islands of New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa, Tahiti, Cook Islands, Hawaii etc. (I'm not going to list them all just google that bit) migrated there thousands of years ago from Micronesia. All these cultures then developed some unique traits as they became more isolated from each other. However they do share a great deal and you will often find many similarities between them, especially when it comes to spiritial beliefs. if you look up mythologies for say the Maori people of New Zealand you will find they have a similar creation mythology to that of Hawaiians, they even share some demigods like Maui. You can find equivalents to the Earth mother and Sky father (maybe different names in each region) but the history follows a very similar path. Now since you are posting on Hawaii board I'm assuming you are more concerned with the Hawaiian culture itself. First off Hawaiians do not have a written history, like the Maori they would pass down information about the ancestors etc. through oral histories and stories etc. as well as through dance like hula in Hawaii. This is why the language and dance for instance have been very central to the culture as that is how knowledge was passed from generation to generation. It is very difficult to really describe the culture as it is better represented by first hand experience. The Hawaiian culture as other Polynesian cultures have been hit not necessarily by commercialization but rather they took a heavy blow with European exploration. Once white/anglo Europeans started discovering, settling and influencing these areas changes can be seen in the cultures. Unfortunately you'd have missionaries or explorers in general who would convert the natives and force them to practice western customs and so their own culture would be hit. Its difficult to maintain a culture in a pure form if you have outside influences forcing you to ignore your own history and practice something so polar oposite from your own. However, like I mentioned before Polynesian culture is oral and so you would still have the history passed down as well as the cultural practices. you could say it may have been slightly diluted over the years from western influence etc. as well as the fact that it is an oral history so you don't have written notes to go back and look at to revive the culture or history (obviously there are things written down now but my point is there wasn't a handbook chronologically listing things etc.).

So no commercialization hasnt been solely responsible for any loss if you want to call it rather other things initially influenced this, however commercialization has impacted Polynesian and Hawaiian culture in a way. Some may argue it has helped bring some revival about as you can find hula practiced for tourists however the main reason for cultural revival isn't really tourism but rather people having a need and desire to delve into their history and culture. You can find this in New Zealand too, in recent years there has been a revival in younger generation Maori wanting to learn much more about their language and history rather than go off to uni and what not only to leave the marae or iwi etc.

in general Hawaiian culture has a very family oriented way of things. one can easily see this on a visit to Hawaii. You see families talk story at the beach while having a bbq going and just a day of eating food and playing at the beach. there is also a respect your elders attitude, very similar to that found in Asian cultures. there are certain practices too that still thrive like removing your slippas before entering a home, or taking a gift or something to a house when you've been invited. the idea of never going empty handed. there is also the idea of just being respectful to others especially if you are a guest, try not to be rude or overstay your welcome etc. sorry this is a bit of a brief overview. overall these ideas and practices are very much alive in Hawaii but obviously not everyone necessarily practices them as you have many transplants who don't necessarily know these thing and what not. Obviously not everyone in Hawaii, locals, practice all these Hawaiian things as not everyone is Hawaiian and it depends how long you've been there, if you are first generation you may still practice things that pertain more to your own culture, whereas if you've been there for generations you most likely are familiar with all these things.

sorry this is a bit long, hope it kind of helps and makes sense. i'm not too sure what exact sort of info youre looking for but if you have anymore questions please ask or if there is something more specific i might be able to help

Old 02-17-2009, 09:09 AM

KoaHawaii, thanks for that response, that was great!

What prompted me to start this is a conversation I had with a co-worker who makes regular annual visits to Hawaii and no noticed "changes" over time.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:54 AM

96 posts, read 620,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwave13 View Post
KoaHawaii, thanks for that response, that was great!

What prompted me to start this is a conversation I had with a co-worker who makes regular annual visits to Hawaii and no noticed "changes" over time.
glad i could help. i think Hawaii will always hold on to our heritage and culture, obviously some more than others. since we have experienced a growth in mainlanders immigrating to the islands to retire, raise their own families etc. many old on to their own culture rather than adopt the Hawaiian one, while others really get into it and sort of blend theirs with Hawaii's. I think over time you might notice more but I think you'll have those who hold on to the more 'ancient' ways and honor our culture in that way while there will be another aspect that includes a modernized way of practicing the Hawaiian culture sort of hybridizing it with mainland culture. We have many mainlanders coming here to live, raise their own families or to retire and we have some big mainland stores here too which will impact the people. So yea there haven't been huge changes in recent years but more of a slight change. where does your coworker visit? just wondering which area "hasn't" changed, as every area is different. Each island is unique and there are pockets that remain like old Hawaii while others are much more populated and in my opinion losing a bit of old Hawaii feel. ie Honolulu

Old 02-17-2009, 12:30 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,074,683 times
Any living thriving culture will change, it is in the nature of cultures to do so. One of the reasons the academic and scientific sorts of folks use Latin is because that is a dead language and doesn't change. Just look at the difference fifty years has made in the definition of the word "gay".

Old 02-24-2009, 11:24 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,539,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Any living thriving culture will change, it is in the nature of cultures to do so. One of the reasons the academic and scientific sorts of folks use Latin is because that is a dead language and doesn't change. Just look at the difference fifty years has made in the definition of the word "gay".
Yes any culture will change.... but some are forced into change. Change is not always wanted.

let me ask.... what is "white" culture??

Old 02-24-2009, 11:34 AM

970 posts, read 2,954,348 times
I understand Polynesians eat platters of poo?

Old 02-24-2009, 11:50 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,539,610 times
whats poo??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: