Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:51 AM

970 posts, read 2,953,337 times

Advertisements

Poo poo platters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 12:32 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,538,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwave13 View Post

Has modern Hawaii held on to this culture or has commericalism, etc. ruined all this?
hawaii, in my eyes has lost too much of their culture.

Their language for one, the state didn't want anyone in the school system to speak hawaiian.

Hawaiians, had what they call a "Kapu" system which was they way in which the island was governed.
To think they had some 400k hawaiians living like that.

Hawaiian culture also included living off the land. Being isolated they had to. they grew everything they needed to sustain their livelihood. They had farms on both land and sea.

Malama aina.... was care for the lands as well as the oceans. For doing so you will reap the benefits of a harvest.

They practiced a mind set. take only what you "need" in fishing and farming.

Hula played a big part of the culture. Hula was used for entertainment, but primarily use to tell a story of which the dance was preforming.

Kahuna..to some extent was the doctor.. he knew the method of healing people with native plants and or massage

I could go on, but I think these cultural practices are most affected by western influence.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Poo poo platters?
Pu Pu platters.... Pu Pu is a word we use to describe like a snack tray.. appetizer.. Go to a bar order pupus. you will get peanuts, chips..

Places in hawaii, will sever just about anything. Raw fish, squid, steak. Depends where you go and what you want. you will find almost anything under the sun.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:45 AM

970 posts, read 2,953,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
Pu Pu platters.... Pu Pu is a word we use to describe like a snack tray.. appetizer.. Go to a bar order pupus. you will get peanuts, chips..

Places in hawaii, will sever just about anything. Raw fish, squid, steak. Depends where you go and what you want. you will find almost anything under the sun.
lmao!! My bad! I always had wondered about that....

Old 02-25-2009, 09:53 AM

242 posts, read 1,187,747 times
Default Tell me about Polynesian culture....

I will tell you this, sorry you misspelled the word, and he knew it but was too rude to tell you so, Obviously. the word is POI, not POO. Poi is from the Taro vegetable, they sell it here in some grocery stores for years now. It is an ugly looking vegetable, comes in various sizes. You can look up on the internet for TARO, it will tell you all about the vegetable. Grown in a watery section and muddy. You have to cut off the outter skin, and there will surface like lavender color or white. &&&&&&&&&&&&&&& you have to cook it, so it can be eaten. When it is soft, time to smash it up and there is the POI. Pasty taste when it is smashed up. &&&&&&&& I use to eat it, but not in the POI consistency. I would cut it up and then fry in the frying pan with onions and butter...... ONO ( means delicious) and it has MORE VITAMINS and MINERALS than any POTATOE. It is very filling!!! &&&&&&&& in the olden days.... the parents would make it to POI consistency and this would be " cereal" to their youngsters. &&&&&& Traditionally they will serve " poi" at the luaus for the tourists. &&&&&&&& and when I lived on MAUI, one of the Hawaiian islands, I got to go with a friend to see her father-in-laws, Taro plantation on the other side of the island and get free taro. ANY MORE QUESTIONS ask me, I have the Aloha Spirit and I am not Hawaiian.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:01 AM

242 posts, read 1,187,747 times
Default Tell me about Polynesian culture....

Polynesians. you can do a search about their culture online, if you want to find more information. There are not too many FULL BLOODED HAWAIIANS, mot of the people are mixed. My friends that I lived next door to, have some Hawaiian blood in them. Like 1/4 on the Father's side. His wife is deceased and she was 50% Hawaiian and 50% Chinese. But her father was born in Chicago.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:05 AM

POI..... was such an important part of the native hawaiians. very healthy..... Poi was grown all over the islands, it was their staple.

then some how sugarcane took over... sugar is all good, but if you can survive on poi vs. sugar.

the sugarcane plantations diverted most of the water from the mountains to the plantaions. leaving very little water for the taro to grow to make POI. makes me kinda wonder what kind of water bill those plantations had?? today I pay for water to be pumped form the ground. Soon with the population growing and growing...... wea we going get water from?? this is just one island.

Once the island of Kaho'olave had fresh water, the military used the island for bombing practice. What I was told they exploded huge bomb and in doing so it broke the cap rock making the water all brackish and unable to drink.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:50 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Honolulu overbuilt their water table sometime in the late sixties, early seventies. Used to be you could build a house and get a waterline attached for a small connection fee of twenty bucks or so. Now, the fee to connect to the water line is thousands. Before the big security concerns from the bombing of the New York towers, you could go into the water tunnel and look at the city's water supply. Can't do that anymore which is probably just as well since it would be very alarming. There are these markers with dates on them showing the various water levels for that year. Prior to the sixties, the dates would be up a little or down a little but all pretty much at the same level. In the seventies the dates started dropping each year with no recovery between them. In the eighties the levels started dropping significantly each year with no years of increasing amounts. I have no idea where the water table level is now, but it is probably somewhere scary. There was a discussion about a distillation plant to distill the salt out of seawater, that will probably eventually be built on Oahu out of sheer necessity. Price of water will go way up.

There is a huge difference in mindset between folks who grew up here (whatever their original bloodlines) and folks from somewhere else. Here, family is very important and the land is very important. You take care of both of them with love and respect. Possessions mean nothing, having fancy stuff generally means you are pushy and greedy.

Ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono.

Look it up, it explains Hawaii.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:37 PM

263 posts, read 1,005,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
... having fancy stuff generally means you are pushy and greedy.
That's kinda harsh, don't you think? Do you feel safe making generalizations like that?

I have a fancy convertible sports car and I own it because it is fun to drive. Are you saying that when I move to Hawaii if I bring it with me I will be categorized as pushy and greedy?

Doesn't attitude make the man, not his possessions?

Bob

Last edited by SkyBob; 03-01-2009 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: always spelling errors

Old 03-03-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBob View Post
Doesn't attitude make the man, not his possessions?

Bob

this is inertesting. In hawaiian culture, land was to be used, not owned...

western culture is to own possess the land.

who has a better attitude??

lol, I should ask, who posesses the land??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: