Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:14 AM

10 posts, read 39,721 times

Advertisements

I think the concept of 'myth' is not very accurate. Polynesian culture is alive and well in the islands. To consider the belief of these people to be myth is to deny the culture altogether. I lived on Oahu for 5 yrs. and it was one of the most meaningful spiritual experiences in my life as a Pagan. I wish I could go back. A huge part of my heart will always belong to Hawaii.

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-11-2009 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: no links to other sites
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 02:17 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBob View Post
That's kinda harsh, don't you think? Do you feel safe making generalizations like that?

I have a fancy convertible sports car and I own it because it is fun to drive. Are you saying that when I move to Hawaii if I bring it with me I will be categorized as pushy and greedy?

Doesn't attitude make the man, not his possessions?

Bob
Hey, we have a fancy convertible sort of sports car, too, we can start a pushy and greedy club! ;P Either that or a small car club. Ours is red which is a happy color for a small car.

Well, of course the attitude is more important than da kine stuffs. Generally, though, to get a whole lot of fancy stuff more than likely the folks have a tendency to be more pushy and greedy than the usual run of folks. If you can have fancy stuff and not be pushy and greedy it's way better.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:17 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,451 times
Hey when I move out I want to join to lol
The only time Im pushy is when im pushing my car to the shop

Old 05-08-2009, 11:13 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Yeah, we did that yesterday. At least little cars are a lot easier to push around! My DH put in a new dashboard and somehow wired the gas gauge in reverse. I thought he'd filled the tank, but no, it was empty even though the gauge looked pegged on "full". Arrgh! You'd think he'd mention that sort of thing to me.

However, back to the local culture thing, we didn't have to go more than a thousand feet before there was someone offering us a can of gasoline. That may not be Polynesian culture precisely or Hawaiian culture precisely but it's how locals live around here. We, of course, immediately took the gas can to the gas station and refilled it along with a six pack of sodas to go with. These weren't the beer sorts of folks and it was the middle of the day instead of at night.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:16 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,451 times
Nice! thats a classic example of culture!
but really would you have filled it up anyway? jk

Old 05-08-2009, 12:57 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

However, back to the local culture thing, we didn't have to go more than a thousand feet before there was someone offering us a can of gasoline. That may not be Polynesian culture precisely or Hawaiian culture precisely but it's how locals live around here. We, of course, immediately took the gas can to the gas station and refilled it along with a six pack of sodas to go with. These weren't the beer sorts of folks and it was the middle of the day instead of at night.
culture.... well, thats nice fine and dandy.. when Hawaii got annexed by the US. the US took the lands and claim to have "clear" title.. How so?? they buy it??

In a the SCOTUS it referenced the apology resolution as just a piece of paper and that the State of Hawaii Has "clear" title to what is called ceded lands. 5f was a trust setup to give the people of Hawaiian ancestry a % of revenues from those land.. Now the state.. with the help of the legislators are able to sell the lands... mind you in the SCOTUS,, the state said. their intent was, "not to sell the lands"

I do have to say.. the culture is not of what it once as well as the land...

Old 05-08-2009, 04:25 PM

263 posts, read 1,005,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
That's great that folks helped you out on the side of the road. I think I remember in a previous post that you said your convertible is an MG? Not really a common car, and not one the typical tourist would be driving. Would you be offered that can of gasoline if you had been driving a new Ford Mustang convertible? I wonder.

Bob

Old 05-08-2009, 05:07 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,052 times
Default It Depends

Quote:
That's great that folks helped you out on the side of the road. I think I remember in a previous post that you said your convertible is an MG? Not really a common car, and not one the typical tourist would be driving. Would you be offered that can of gasoline if you had been driving a new Ford Mustang convertible? I wonder.

Bob
I think I would offer it -- and I bet "hotzcatz" would, if I may say so.

Whether we'd ever see our gas can again????

Old 05-08-2009, 05:37 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,920 times
Quote:

Bob
Are you serious??? Most people I know would certainly stop and offer to help (and since I was born and raised here I know a LOT of people!).

People here tend to be a lot friendlier than some in other States (I have lived in several since we are Retired Military and have lived in MANY different States). In a few of the places people would have little problem calmly stepping over your bleeding body- anything just as long as they are not inconvenienced or may have to become involved.

Family and friends are the cornerstone of our lives. It is not uncommon for a baby's first birthday luau to have well over 250 relatives alone attend add around 50-100 more friends.

Longtime friends morph into family. I have more calabash Aunts, Uncles and cousins than I can possibly count and I KNOW that if I were in need any one of them would go above and beyond to help in any way they could.

Do we get irritated with some tourists? Absolutely! Especially the ones that are arrogant and assume that they are 'better' than local in every way (after all we could not POSSIBLY be well educated and have a better lifestyle than themselves!). Even better are the ones who think we use a different currency and are quite disappointed that grass skirts and coconut bras are NOT the everyday wear of our females.

Most locals are quite happy to talk story with tourists- we are proud of our home and our people. Most locals genuinely LIKE other people and we like to be open and show our 'aloha spirit' but we ARE human and will respond to arrogance and ignorance with disdain.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:44 PM

263 posts, read 1,005,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Are you serious??? Most people I know would certainly stop and offer to help (and since I was born and raised here I know a LOT of people!).
Please don't get me wrong. I don't mean to imply that residents of Hawaii could be heartless people when it comes to lending a helping hand. I was just pointing out the possibility of hotzcatz receiving assistance more readily because she obviously was not a tourist.

There have been many comments on this forum from people who have been overlooked on the line at the store in favor of a local, and my friend who lives on the Big Island has mentioned a time or two that she observed the same behavior, so that was my reason for posting the message about helping the person driving the car most rented to tourists.

I enjoy reading the posts from all of you island residents and when I make the move I hope I will be invited to a baby's first birthday luau. That would mean to me that I was on my way to being accepted into the community.

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: