Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:14 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,899,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
Re: multiple residences - I don't think you're supposed to be counted in more than one place. I think technically you're supposed to report where you were living on 4/1/2010 (that would be a regular domicile, not a vacation residence if it's not your domicile - if you had two places where you spend 6 months each year, I'd report wherever you were on April 1st). I think - but you can ask a census worker how to handle that situation.
This might sound trifling, but we split our time more-or-less 50/50 between our two houses, and this is always an issue when filing our taxes, etc. More and more US citizens have two (or more) homes and divide their time amongst them. There is no really clear definition for which to declare as one's primary residence if the amount of time is close.

There are several practical criteria, but (apparently) any state can claim you as a resident if it appears to be to their (tax, usually) advantage. Hard to imagine two states fighting over one household, but the potential is apparently there.

Our inquiries principally have been regarding the IRS and states' tax authorities, though. It seems to me that people who worry about significant overlap between IRS and Census (or other federal) government databases see more potential for computing power (or illegal conspiracy) than currently exists. Friends who provide consulting services to various US government agencies confirm this. The specter of database matching far exceeds the likelihood that any one state would commission or pay for the service. We often observe that Hawai'i could get rich by matching the number of people who *claim* their residences here as "primary" while simultaneously claiming another "primary" residence in another state to avoid the second-home tax here -- a sadly common (and fraudulent) practice, or so it appears.

IMHO, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 08:13 PM

128 posts, read 541,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
I doubt you'll be shot at dawn or sent to Guantanamo, but if you don't fill it out and return it an enumerator will stop by to gather the required information.
So someone from the US Census came by my apartment to gather the information as you had just said

Old 03-25-2010, 01:34 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,414,228 times
Thumbs down I threatened to call cops

We have had the same moron come to our door three times asking if we have submitted our census. Yesterday, unfortunately for him, I was home. Told him we had and if he comes to our door one more time I was calling the police and reporting him as harrassing my family. Enough already.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:38 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,695,777 times
beside the money, census determines how many reps you have in congress. More peope, more reps, less people less reps.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:19 PM

820 posts, read 3,036,916 times
The people who are hired to go door to door aren't just going to those that didn't turn in a census. Believe me, it would take far longer for anyone to figure out which households did or didn't.

Those folks are just hired to encourage people to fill them out and send them in. Created some jobs on the island, we should celebrate that at least. Tell the visiting census worker you already filled it out, and congrats on landing the job, and please mark your household as DONE on the lists they turn in.

We filled out our census and handed it in. Want Hawaii to get every dollar it can, especially since it runs in the Federal monies red every year.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:47 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,945,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
especially since it runs in the Federal monies red every year.
Don't understand. Would you explain?

Old 03-25-2010, 02:56 PM

Sorry, I should been more clear.

Hawaii gets more in Federal dollars than it gives back in Federal taxes.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:14 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,695,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
Sorry, I should been more clear.

Hawaii gets more in Federal dollars than it gives back in Federal taxes.
Can you say which it is? How much federal money Hawaii get totally compared to federal taxes paid, or is it, how much federal money Hawaii gets back for Hawaii from the feds.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:23 PM

I've heard this before, and more recently on the radio news. Googling it give me this:
Some States Get Fat, Others Fleeced - by Nate Bailey - Budget & Tax News

I'm not finding articles with more recent data, but would suspect it hasn't changed.

I wonder if the military bases are counted towards the federal expenses? Not sure how these ratios are calculated.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:51 PM

128 posts, read 541,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
We have had the same moron come to our door three times asking if we have submitted our census. Yesterday, unfortunately for him, I was home. Told him we had and if he comes to our door one more time I was calling the police and reporting him as harrassing my family. Enough already.
Thats too bad..the person who came to by door was actually a really cute chick..i was actually caught off guard by how pretty she was. I wouldnt mind if she came back to my place anytime to ask me any more questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii