Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 06:52 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,691,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
Re: multiple residences - I don't think you're supposed to be counted in more than one place. I think technically you're supposed to report where you were living on 4/1/2010 (that would be a regular domicile, not a vacation residence if it's not your domicile - if you had two places where you spend 6 months each year, I'd report wherever you were on April 1st). I think - but you can ask a census worker how to handle that situation.
I'm traveling between two places on the 1st of April. What do I do? Fill out the census form when I take a break on the interstate, and use that area as my "home" for the time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
beside the money, census determines how many reps you have in congress. More peope, more reps, less people less reps.
They also use it for redrawing the districts (which increased dem representation last time districts were redrawn). Not sure I understand exactly how they do that, how often, and why that is ethical or legal. Census numbers are also used to help in the "redistribution" of wealth, which underlies everything the current administration is doing.

I hear today that census forms must be mailed by April 1st, or we will be fined. That means, if a census form is postmarked April 2nd, there will be a fine? How many jobs were created just for postmark checkers, I wonder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 11:32 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
We have had the same moron come to our door three times asking if we have submitted our census. Yesterday, unfortunately for him, I was home. Told him we had and if he comes to our door one more time I was calling the police and reporting him as harrassing my family. Enough already.
He's only doing his job. It's not like he came by several times when you WERE home.

Tell me, how do you know it was "the same moron" who came by several times already? If you weren't home? Hmmm?

Finally, it really cheeses me off when people call police over such things. If you have a complaint, call the census office. The police have better things to do than listen to you whine about a Census worker at your door.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:22 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,101 times
Fill out the forms, it's our civic duty

Old 03-31-2010, 04:55 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,691,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Fill out the forms, it's our civic duty
I agree. It's also patriotic to pay our taxes, and the more patriotic we are, the more we will be happy to pay.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:33 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaturdayNight View Post
Hi, I just have a quick stupid question...did anyone else get the 2010 Census in the mail? It says my "response is required by law" Does that mean exactly what it says? If I don't fill it out and send it back does it mean im breaking the law? Sorry I have never gotten one of these before so I am clueless about the circumstances.
Go ahead, don't fill it out! And then what?

Someone will stop by your house some day and knock some senses into you!

Old 04-03-2010, 03:02 PM

206 posts, read 466,204 times
A census person came by and delivered our form for us, asked us what exactly our address is--I was glad to give him that information and we mailed in our form. I'm glad it brings some money into our community.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:12 PM

820 posts, read 3,034,853 times
Has everyone heard the news stories about the scam census forms? They are the ones that ask for too much information, like social security number. The real census form does NOT.

I would guess then it's probably safer not to answer too many questions by someone who comes to your door. Better to take the form from them, and if it is legit, to mail it back yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii