Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan do you have, or do you have Advantage?
Medicare Advantage Plan 19 37.25%
Medigap Plan A 0 0%
Medigap Plan B 0 0%
Medigap Plan C 0 0%
Medigap Plan D 1 1.96%
Medigap Plan F 13 25.49%
Medigap Plan F - High-Deductible 5 9.80%
Medigap Plan G 2 3.92%
Medigap Plan K 0 0%
Medigap Plan L 0 0%
Medigap Plan M 0 0%
Medigap Plan N 1 1.96%
No Supplemental Medigap Plan or Advantage Plan 10 19.61%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 04:30 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,482,400 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b416HJl0nRk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 05:08 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8hdGnP2Nwo

Old 11-24-2013, 05:25 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9KoTjU-mmg

Old 11-24-2013, 07:51 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,822,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
You do know what Medicare type insurance plan you have, don't you?
Yes. I have TRICARE For Life with Medicare Part A and B...

Old 11-25-2013, 01:45 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,760,848 times
Our current health insurance, which will become our supplemental at age 65, dicates that we get Medicare Part A & B. Makes our choices easy

Old 11-26-2013, 10:39 AM

277 posts, read 519,689 times
I turned 65 this past July and have Medicare (period). What I have learned reading these posts is that you need money for everything and unfortunately I have very little of that but have a few medical issues. I have decided that it doesn't matter anymore if I see a doctor or not .. the little money I have has to go to keeping a roof over my head and paying bills. If I die tomorrow it won't matter ... we die in the end anyway so why prolong the agony ?

Old 12-20-2013, 04:56 PM

1,500 posts, read 889,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You don't have a Medigap - You have an Advantage Plan, otherwise known as Medicare Part C.

You are in an Advantage Plan - otherwise known as Plan C.

Here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...advantage.html

I also responded to you at length a month or so a while back, but apparently you never read it:
Adriadne22

thanks so much for posting this...you sound very literate in this field..so please answer a ?? for me...who thought I knew it all..(sorry...must be my type A personality)

I always thought that Medicare had some sort of "rules" that protected the consumer..ie..a Plan F with one provider IN your geographical area..would be the same regardless of which HI one chose..when I chose hubby's Plan F when he turned 65 I thought that was what the broker we know well told me...

Now years later..of course hubbys monthly premiums have gone up..that I get..I am 5 years younger..but chose the same HI also Plan F..so far so good..yes..it is not cheap..but we never expected it to be..and we figure they are losing money on us..as we both have had both surgery and procedures since on Medicare...I like the idea of NO copays or deductibles..but even more so..that NO provider has ever refused us..and we have never had to pay anything..of course other than the monthly premiums..I have done the math..and it really does not take too many "incidents..surgeries, colos etc " per year..to make it cost effective..perhaps we have had more than the average "incidents"..to make this add up..rather than pay up front and be able to call our providers of choice than pay as we go..worse still..to be told "no we don't take that supplement"..

another tidbit..perhaps we should have known this..have a year when one's adjusted gross income is higher can result in Medicare doubling your Part B payment..a year ago we sold a condo...yes had some nice capital gains..but ended up in the next income category..for the next year we are paying EACH 209 bucks per month...no..we are not rich..but capital gains did us in...IRS shared with Medicare our 2012 AGI...voila..we pay more...no...we do realize why and how this happened..

Old 12-20-2013, 05:40 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,533,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
so please answer a ?? for me...who thought I knew it all..(sorry...must be my type A personality)

I always thought that Medicare had some sort of "rules" that protected the consumer..

Now years later..of course hubbys monthly premiums have gone up..that I get..I am 5 years younger..but chose the same HI also Plan F..so far so good..yes..it is not cheap..but we never expected it to be..and we figure they are losing money on us..as we both have had both surgery and procedures since on Medicare...

another tidbit..perhaps we should have known this..have a year when one's adjusted gross income is higher can result in Medicare doubling your Part B payment..a year ago we sold a condo...yes had some nice capital gains..but ended up in the next income category..for the next year we are paying EACH 209 bucks per month..
So, what's the Q???

Are you asking about Medigap rates?

Rates vary by carrier, region and, usually, age, depending on if your plan is community rated, or attained or issue-age rated.

Most Medigaps are attained-age rated, which is why, when one gets in their 80's, these plans can be very costly.

UHC offers community-rated Medigap F plans in many states, so whether you're 65 or 85, your premium is the same. Not sure about your state. Go to medicare.gov and search plans for your zip. How the carrier rates the plan is clearly stated.

Yes, Medigap F is Medigap F as far as coverage. In some states, you can also buy a high-deductible F with a $2,140 deductible. Premium for hd-F is usually about half of the regular Medigap. I rarely doctor, so hd-F works for me.

Yes, Medicare Part B premiums can be higher if your AGI is higher, as you've discovered.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:47 AM

137 posts, read 103,355 times
My husband & I both signed up for Plan G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance