Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 08:02 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I haven't read the legislation, yet, but are you sure about the loss of employer tax credits??

This is what was posted on The Hill:Sounds to me like employer-sponsored insurance wasn't touched. Of course, that report could be wrong.
The 'cadillac tax' that Republicans whined about for 7 years is retained but deferred until 2025 GOP Overhaul Would Keep Obamacare’s ‘Cadillac Tax,’ But Delay It Until 2025 | Kaiser Health News

But with no employer mandate, why would any employer continue to offer health insurance if they have to pay a 40% tax on it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 08:02 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Thanks

It's just difficult to see the direction that they are heading and how they are thinking about "fixing" things.
This bill is all about killing the ACA. It does nothing for the systemic problems of cost which plagues our health care.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:46 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The 30% will impact you if you are 61 days without coverage and will be in effect for 12 months. There are no details about health sharing ministries maybe contact your congress member and ask them to see if they can get those to count as credible care?

But here's what I don't understand, it sounds to me like companies can offer whatever they want in terms of benefits and can underwrite and charge you whatever they want. There's nothing about a limit for how much more you can charge an older or a sicker person.
They can't charge more for sick people, but they can charge older people 5x more than younger people (for the same type of plan). Under the ACA, it was capped at 3x. States can levy their own cap but I'd bet that option will be utilized along red/blue lines.

With no minimum level of benefits mandated for each plan, my prediction is you'll see insurance carriers offering lite plans that cost and cover very little and "useful" plans that are very expensive. That's how they'll get away with charging sicker people more, like in the pre-ACA era. Those are the ones that'll self-select into the most expensive plans. This does nothing to lower costs for them.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:31 AM

216 posts, read 163,152 times
How will this bill lower insurance premiums?

Old 03-07-2017, 11:16 AM

7,926 posts, read 9,150,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
This bill is all about killing the ACA. It does nothing for the systemic problems of cost which plagues our health care.
Agreed although there are a few things I like about it:
Expanded use of HSAs which I feel should be available for every plan due to their high deductibles
Expanded tax credits for older people are needed due to raising of ratio to 5:1 which was needed to lower cost for younger folks so they might even buy into the system.

All in all, a disappointing start IMO

Old 03-07-2017, 12:21 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,787,713 times
Help me follow the money here...

How exactly does a tax credit have an impact on me, my doctor, the government etc?

Old 03-07-2017, 12:29 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Help me follow the money here...

How exactly does a tax credit have an impact on me, my doctor, the government etc?
A tax credit helps you pay the cost of the insurance. It has no impact on the doctor or the insurance company. However, it does mean the government gets less taxes from you (because you get a credit) and that's why people like Rand Paul are saying it's another entitlement program. The government is continuing to subsidize everyone's healthcare.

The main difference to you between a tax credit in the current bill and a subsidy in the ACA is the difference between a refund and a coupon. You can use the coupon (subsidy) immediately so that you pay less at the point of sale, aka your monthly premium. With a refund, you have to pay the full price and then wait to get some money back later (tax credit). This is why Dems say it's going to screw over poor people, because they may not have enough money to pay the full price of the premium and then wait until tax season to get some money back.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:07 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,787,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
A tax credit helps you pay the cost of the insurance. It has no impact on the doctor or the insurance company. However, it does mean the government gets less taxes from you (because you get a credit) and that's why people like Rand Paul are saying it's another entitlement program. The government is continuing to subsidize everyone's healthcare.

The main difference to you between a tax credit in the current bill and a subsidy in the ACA is the difference between a refund and a coupon. You can use the coupon (subsidy) immediately so that you pay less at the point of sale, aka your monthly premium. With a refund, you have to pay the full price and then wait to get some money back later (tax credit). This is why Dems say it's going to screw over poor people, because they may not have enough money to pay the full price of the premium and then wait until tax season to get some money back.
Thanks for the explanation.

I thought it might be something like that.

I cannot fathom how this will help. Pay full premium now and then-in theory-get a reimbursement at tax time. How does this help people struggling with premiums now the cash to pay full price?

Old 03-07-2017, 03:21 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
I thought I read somewhere govt will be sending monthly checks to people to help pay their premiums. For sure, poor will never have money to pay the full premium upfront - and then deductibles/copays, too. It's back to the ER and charity clinics.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:23 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Agreed although there are a few things I like about it:
Expanded use of HSAs which I feel should be available for every plan due to their high deductibles
Expanded tax credits for older people are needed due to raising of ratio to 5:1 which was needed to lower cost for younger folks so they might even buy into the system.

All in all, a disappointing start IMO
the tax credit for a 60 year old is 2x that of a 30 year old. But the premium can be 5x higher, did you try that math out and speculate about how many 60 year old's will be able to pay for health care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance