Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 06:55 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times

Advertisements

Yes and yet this morning I see a news article where they want to raise premiums 30 % more ? Heck we cant afford it now , how in the blue blazes of hell can anyone afford a 30 % increase in premiums ? my one friend already pays about 800 a yr and now to raise it ? yeah go ahead buttwipes and see how many people drop it altogether because they cant afford it . If they keep increasing the premiums it will indeed implode .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 02:47 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Congress is also making 174K a year, which is 3x more than the average household income. Would think their 28% coverage would be pretty easy for them to handle.
Well, then, that begs the question should all employer-sponsored subsidies be tied to income? In other words, should highly-paid employees everywhere receive less subsidies or none?

Doesn't matter to me Congresscritters and other government employees earn $174k/year and often much more. There are also millions of Americans in the private sector earning that - and receiving employer subsidies.

So, this constant hue and cry about Congress getting such a deal is just bs. But, it's always the usual suspects (not you, NSHL) that continue to take any opportunity to repeat the LIE that Congress isn't on Obamacare. It is.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:46 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,158,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Well, then, that begs the question should all employer-sponsored subsidies be tied to income? In other words, should highly-paid employees everywhere receive less subsidies or none?

Doesn't matter to me Congresscritters and other government employees earn $174k/year and often much more. There are also millions of Americans in the private sector earning that - and receiving employer subsidies.

So, this constant hue and cry about Congress getting such a deal is just bs. But, it's always the usual suspects (not you, NSHL) that continue to take any opportunity to repeat the LIE that Congress isn't on Obamacare. It is.
That does raise an interesting question. Progressive taxation is based on income levels, tax deductions are income based. I do believe there should be some taxation based on the value of insurance coverage given by employers. Or you can eliminate the employer/ insurer connection via eliminating the employer tax deduction for health insurance as part of corporate tax reform, give employees more money to buy from the exchange and you have fixed the pool problem with Obamacare and generated more tax money on the extra salary earned by the employees to help pay for the subsidies. No more health care discrimination based on employment and you will have the political will to fix Obamacare as everyone will be directly involved in it.

In terms of Congress, I think they are more responsible than private sector employees because they are responsible for ACA passage so they should be held to the most restrictive part of the law: purchasing from the individual exchange based on their salary level. But of course, that is probably just fantasy.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:46 AM

9,867 posts, read 7,740,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I do believe there should be some taxation based on the value of insurance coverage given by employers.
Just think about that. Families right now are not paying taxes on benefits of about $12,000-24,000 or so a year.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:28 AM

7,931 posts, read 9,158,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Just think about that. Families right now are not paying taxes on benefits of about $12,000-24,000 or so a year.
It is a lot of money that is left on the table by the govt. Perhaps they should do what happens to us sole proprietors when it comes to healthcare tax: pay half the medicare/ss tax due on the value of the insurance.
Sole proprietors write off health insurance premiums on the 1040 form so you are still using your higher income to determine medicare/ss tax, but then you can deduct half of it on the 1040 form.

Very simple to implement and fair to all.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:55 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yes and yet this morning I see a news article where they want to raise premiums 30 % more ? Heck we cant afford it now , how in the blue blazes of hell can anyone afford a 30 % increase in premiums ? my one friend already pays about 800 a yr and now to raise it ? yeah go ahead buttwipes and see how many people drop it altogether because they cant afford it . If they keep increasing the premiums it will indeed implode .
I'm waiting for it to implode. People dropping their plans is the only way it will happen. I hope people say, "enough" and pull the plug on their policies. It ceases to be insurance when the premiums and the deductibles are sky high.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:55 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,819,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I'm waiting for it to implode. People dropping their plans is the only way it will happen. I hope people say, "enough" and pull the plug on their policies. It ceases to be insurance when the premiums and the deductibles are sky high.
That could happen. And then? Paul Ryan to the rescue?

Old 08-08-2017, 07:05 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It is not going to implode unless employer subsidized plans start going away or Medicare provision is substantially reduced or the cost of both goes up significantly. As things stand, most Americans are covered either by their employer or by Medicare, Medicaid or the VA. Health care remains affordable for most. Only around 16% of the population are either 'non-group' or uninsured. That is why there is no real political pressure for proper reform of the system because there is no widespread 'pain'.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:52 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
It is not going to implode unless employer subsidized plans start going away or Medicare provision is substantially reduced or the cost of both goes up significantly. As things stand, most Americans are covered either by their employer or by Medicare, Medicaid or the VA. Health care remains affordable for most. Only around 16% of the population are either 'non-group' or uninsured. That is why there is no real political pressure for proper reform of the system because there is no widespread 'pain'.
Why would employer subsidized plans start going away affect the Affordable Care Act? First under the ACA, employers with over 50 employees have to provide health insurance. The health insurance would be more competitive if employers were removed from the health insurance business. Health payers would be competing for everyone's business in a free market.

The ACA attempted to address gaps in Medicare preventive and prescription drug benefits. I haven't heard about changes in this area nor do I see changes causing the ACA to implode.

I agree with the rest of your post.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:42 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I haven't heard about changes in this area nor do I see changes causing the ACA to implode.
Trump has already been doing three things to undermine important provisions of the health law, and there is more he could do:

3 Things Trump Is Already Doing to ‘Let Obamacare Implode’:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...care-fail.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance