Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 12:34 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,424,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
Vast numbers of Americans are shortening their lives by obesity and bad foods. No amount of healthcare spending is going to cure that.

Fat and dairy kill.
Sedentary as hell too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 12:37 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,424,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
They may be. But its different issue than having affordable health care available for everyone. Its not on topic.

I'm sure people in other countries don't eat well either. In fact, smoking and alcohol use are probably bigger problems in many countries than in the USA. Yet, somehow these countries manage to provide affordable health care to most of their citizens.
Compare defense spending per capita. Bet it doesn't compare well vs US.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:57 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
I dread hearing about the next rate increase....looks as if it will come sooner than we expected.

"Health insurers across the country are making plans to dramatically raise Obamacare premiums or exit marketplaces amid growing exasperation with the Trump administration’s erratic management of the program and its conflicting signals about the fate of aid for low-income consumers and other key issues."
Health insurers plan big Obamacare rate hikes

Old 05-22-2017, 08:31 PM

345 posts, read 250,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I dread hearing about the next rate increase....looks as if it will come sooner than we expected.

"Health insurers across the country are making plans to dramatically raise Obamacare premiums or exit marketplaces amid growing exasperation with the Trump administration’s erratic management of the program and its conflicting signals about the fate of aid for low-income consumers and other key issues."
Health insurers plan big Obamacare rate hikes
I'm betting it's pretty ugly. People on individual policies (me) may well get thrown to the wolves.

Seriously, what's left? Asset protection and going commando? Going to school? Foreign travel?

Old 06-08-2017, 07:53 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
"Anthem said in its announcement that the principal causes of its withdrawal are “the shrinking individual market as well as continual changes in federal operations, rules and guidance.” "

Trump's sabotage of Obamacare has just claimed 10,000 new victims - LA Times

Old 07-29-2017, 08:39 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
It appears my prophesy that ACA would be repealed was wrong.

I have seldom been happier about making a mistake. For all ts problems, the ACA has guaranteed coverage to millions of people with preexisting medical conditions who were uninsurable under the old system.

Special thanks to John McCain, Lisa Murkowski, and Susan Collins. Every once in a while you still find politicians who behave like statesmen and put the good of the country ahead of that of their own political party. Many challenges remain ahead the march to universal care, but the path appears to be forward--not in reverse.

Last edited by markg91359; 07-29-2017 at 09:52 AM..

Old 07-29-2017, 09:50 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,447,686 times
I think we should all have the same Health plan as the Politicians in D.C.....Later on, the grandkids can figure out how to pay for it.....!!

Old 07-29-2017, 04:11 PM

1,201 posts, read 617,634 times
15 years ago, Congress and then President Bush we're able to compromise and pass Medicare Part D. There were issues with the legislation and some of it is still with us. The law had been reviewed and changed. Why can't they put politics aside and compromise for the best possible plan.

A way to solve the problem of insurers leaving the exchange is to tie it to Medicare Advantage and Medicaid MCOs. I mean to be eligible to sell Medicare Advantage policies or get a contract as a Medicaid MCO, in a given county, they need to offer a policy on the exchange. Insurers are making huge profits on Medicare.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:40 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,466,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
I think we should all have the same Health plan as the Politicians in D.C.....
Anyone with an ACA plan already has the same coverage as politicians in DC. Congresscritters and govt employees must buy ACA/Obamacare through the DC Exchange. Govt subsidizes pays about 72% of the premium/costs. Just like employer-sponsored insurance.

https://www.marketplace.org/2017/07/...alth-insurance

All you need to do, if you don't have subsidized employer insurance, is buy an ACA plan at healthcare.gov or your state's exchange, if it has one. If choices in your state are poor, chances are your state is ruled by the GOP which didn't expand Medicaid and has defunded and deregulated key parts of the ACA so that it would fail.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:21 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,149,301 times
Congress is also making 174K a year, which is 3x more than the average household income. Would think their 28% coverage would be pretty easy for them to handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance