Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 10:29 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,136,349 times

Advertisements

when I was a child there was talk of health care reform to where everyone would be covered like Canada or Great Britain, so I very much doubt we will have it in another decade.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:03 PM

3,078 posts, read 1,685,303 times
I don't think it will ever be truly "fixed", because it's been shattering for decades. I remember my employer in the 80's screaming to High Hell about the spike in healthcare costs to them, and they were not the only ones by any means. It continued to get worse over time and anybody in power with the ability to initiate changes didn't care.

Obamacare sucks. All it did was plant the seed, but it needs a LOT of improvement. It did nothing to lower the medical costs themselves; in fact, that keeps spiraling. And that continuous spiral is why rates keep going up. I've noticed in the last couple of years people heatedly complaining about their premiums going up and up, and once again aging employees are nervous about retiring due to insurance. We are headed back to square one.

Trump was smart in sitting back to let it implode on its own.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:30 PM

492 posts, read 631,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
The whole concept of any type of insurance is rather simple.

Lots of people who are not currently making claims pay for the much smaller group who need care.

The ones of us that have insurance are paying for our health care and 1/2 the bill for one of those that don't.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:48 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,507,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
Trump was smart in sitting back to let it implode on its own.
No, he's being egregiously irresponsible in his fiduciary duty to ALL CITIZENS and turning his back on his campaign promises of better and cheaper health insurance coverage for all. No responsible president of ALL the people says "well, goody- those who were agin' me are going to get theirs. Now let the citizenry suffer."

Some president for all. Not.

The end-result of the GOP 3-tranche legislation would have been high and higher premiums for the next ten years, and tens of millions losing insurance. The AHCA was a dog.

And, the only reason the GOP was pushing it was they need the monies supporting the ACA for their tax reform for the top 1%.

The GOP legislation did NONE of what he promised and what the American people want. Over 65% of the public does not want the ACA repealed.

Trump has no strongly felt belief in anything. He talks good, but his words are empty.

DJT is being led around by the nose by Pence/Ryan/Price because he has no core beliefs, zero thoughts on policy.

This exactly describes DJT - on every issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
"I have no idea what I'm doing. I have no plan. I never had a plan.

In fact, the thought of even reading a plan, much less actually doing the hard work to formulate one myself, just bores me to tears.

I actually plan on just endorsing whatever piece of crap the Republicans come up with.

I don't care if it drops millions of people from coverage, I don't care if it costs tens of thousands of of lives.

Hell, I don't even plan to read it, just push it through for a "win" for my administration.

Then I'll probably go golfing."
Anyone who expects this president to act in their best interest (other than the very rich), does so at their peril. Right now, it's every man for himself. DJT does not give a rip about anything - except to "win" - doesn't care if the "win" is good or bad for the American people - just as long as it's a "win." He certainly will never make the effort to inform himself on any issue. The 140 character tweet is the extent of his attention span.

Narcissist ego rules.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:03 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,840,768 times
FWIW, I believe the Koch brothers had some influence on this health care bill that Trump et al proposed. And later influenced it to be pulled before the house could vote on it. For those who are interested you can look up the news stories via google. This is one such news link.

GOP’s health care vote will test Koch brothers’ influence vs. Trump

Old 03-30-2017, 07:11 PM

If Trump had any real interest and sincerely-held beliefs, he would have immediately NIXED the plan when it was presented to him and told Ryan/Price to start over, because their plan went against everything he had been saying for years.

He has no interest - and never will have.

That is why he is childishly threatening those who voted against it. Those Representatives were acting on behalf of their constituents. They KNEW that bill would be harmful to their citizens - but Trump remains CLUELESS. That those Representatives were acting on behalf of their constituents, and not themselves, never occurs to DJT.

Acting on behalf of the American people is a foreign concept for DJT - which he will never grasp. He doesn't get it.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:30 PM

3,078 posts, read 1,685,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
No, he's being egregiously irresponsible in his fiduciary duty to ALL CITIZENS and turning his back on his campaign promises of better and cheaper health insurance coverage for all. No responsible president of ALL the people says "well, goody- those who were agin' me are going to get theirs. Now let the citizenry suffer."

Some president for all. Not.

The end-result of the GOP 3-tranche legislation would have been high and higher premiums for the next ten years, and tens of millions losing insurance. The AHCA was a dog.

And, the only reason the GOP was pushing it was they need the monies supporting the ACA for their tax reform for the top 1%.

The GOP legislation did NONE of what he promised and what the American people want. Over 65% of the public does not want the ACA repealed.

Trump has no strongly felt belief in anything. He talks good, but his words are empty.

DJT is being led around by the nose by Pence/Ryan/Price because he has no core beliefs, zero thoughts on policy.

This exactly describes DJT - on every issue:

Perhaps you're right.

Perhaps you're wrong.

Your opinions are your own and I respect that. Myself, I am not going to give up on someone who just barely moved into White House. Nor do I think he has dropped healthcare reform as a dead issue. And I don't know where you got your "fact" that 65% of the nation doesn't want it repealed but that's bunk. I think practically everyone is disillusioned with Obamacare and is afraid of where it's going. And it IS going down the loo in a hurry.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:06 AM

Quote:
And I don't know where you got your "fact" that 65% of the nation doesn't want it repealed but that's bunk.
No sir, it is not. I actually read my newspapers. We happen to have a very good one where I live. These numbers I cite have been reported for a long time, now.

Most recently, TODAY:
Quote:
A growing majority of Americans – including a sharply increasing number of Republicans – oppose an outright repeal of Obamacare, according to a new McClatchy-Marist Poll, signaling trouble for Republicans still hoping to dismantle the 2010 health care law.

Sixty-five percent of registered voters either want to see the Affordable Care Act, commonly referred to as Obamacare, maintained as is or strengthened, a seven-point uptick over a February McClatchy-Marist poll that asked the same question.

The new poll was conducted between March 22 and 27. Republicans ended last week’s effort to pass a health care plan on March 24.

Among Republicans, support for repeal plunged. Fifty-seven percent said Obamacare should be completely repealed, but that’s an 11 point drop since the February McClatchy-Marist Poll.

“These Republican numbers suggest at the base there has been some erosion,” said Lee Miringoff, director of the Marist College Institute for Public Opinion, which conducted the survey.

“Times have changed,” he said.

The numbers against repeal dwarfed those who support weakening or completely doing away with the law. Twenty-six percent of registered voters responded they wanted Obamacare repealed all together, with another 7 percent saying they want it amended to do less.

Miringoff said the poll’s findings indicates Americans could potentially support changes to Obamacare – but only if that means widening the scope of its coverage.

“In terms of the notion of ‘repeal and replace,’ a repeal is only acceptable if the replacement is actually an expansion, not a contraction” Miringoff said.

The sentiment among Americans to keep the Affordable Care Act as is, or change it so it does more, greatly exceeds those who want to repeal it completely or change it so it does less Lee Miringoff, director of the Marist Institute for Public Opinion

Opinion fell on party lines. An overwhelming majority of Democrats, 91 percent, said Obamacare should be strengthened or kept as is. The poll also found 68 percent of independents hold that same view, including 54 percent who said the law should be expanded to do more.

A growing minority of Republicans – 23 percent – said the law often derided by conservative lawmakers should be strengthened, with another seven percent saying it should be maintained in its current form.

The American Health Care Act also found meager support among Americans.

A March Quinnipiac University poll found 56 percent disapproved of the Republican plan to undermine Obamacare, with just 17 percent responding in favor. Only 41 percent of Republicans backed the bill, with 24 percent in opposition.

That Republican-backed proposal, Miringoff said, likely spurred this swing toward supporting Obamacare.

“There was a comparison between what we have now and the notion that millions of people would lose health care, and that some of those people were people who voted for Donald Trump,” he said.

“It’s a dramatic shift in something that has been there for a while. Nothing changed in Obamacare, so the new thing was Trump or Ryancare”

How the survey was conducted - read link:

Read more here: Opposition to Obamacare repeal grows, especially among Republicans | McClatchy DC
Quote:
I think practically everyone is disillusioned with Obamacare and is afraid of where it's going. And it IS going down the loo in a hurry.
I don't disagree with the disillusionment. I've posted many times I believe the premiums and deductibles and narrow networks are outrageous for far too many.

That said, a president for ALL the people, would do whatever is necessary to not further undermine the ACA, but, instead, work to improve it - for everyone. Which is what the majority want.

The Republicans via appointee Price and in collusion with Ryan/Rubio continue to defund and deregulate the ACA, hastening its demise. And then they will say they had predicted the failure - when they, themselves, have been critical contributors to this failure.

DJT promised less expensive and better coverage for all. No one left out. Sadly, he had no plan. He never had a plan. All he had was puffery. And, his henchmen took advantage of this "no plan" lazy president to further their hopes for complete destruction of the ACA under the guise of the proposed AHCA aka no health insurance coverage for all.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-31-2017 at 01:42 AM..

Old 03-31-2017, 05:29 AM

26,754 posts, read 26,850,772 times
Quote:
If Trump had any real interest and sincerely-held beliefs, he would have immediately NIXED the plan when it was presented to him and told Ryan/Price to start over
Exactly. Instead, he made the statement that “the best thing we can do politically speaking is let Obamacare explode.”

"Trump’s may have been the most irresponsible remarks uttered by any political leader in the long debate over the Affordable Care Act, because it signaled to insurance companies and to enrollees that the administration would make little or no effort to avoid an avoidable outcome."

Can Trump be stopped from making Obamacare 'explode'? - LA Times

Old 03-31-2017, 07:50 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,833,246 times
Quote:

That said, a president for ALL the people, would do whatever is necessary to not further undermine the ACA, but, instead, work to improve it - for everyone. Which is what the majority want.

That is exactly what I want. Great post! Not just the above, but your whole post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance