Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 08:18 AM

3,078 posts, read 1,685,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That is exactly what I want. Great post! Not just the above, but your whole post.
You do realize that a humongous requirement to make healthcare truly manageable (I will not say 'affordable' because I think it's decades beyond attainment) is finding a way to lower and stabilize actual MEDICAL costs, right? When an office visit costs 3-figures, a single aspirin costs up to $200 in the hospital, and some nurses make $100/hr (notice I said 'some', and I have 3 nieces who make just that), then insurance and out-of-pocket costs will always remain a challenge. But something radical needs to change in this area.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:51 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,836,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
You do realize that a humongous requirement to make healthcare truly manageable (I will not say 'affordable' because I think it's decades beyond attainment) is finding a way to lower and stabilize actual MEDICAL costs, right? When an office visit costs 3-figures, a single aspirin costs up to $200 in the hospital, and some nurses make $100/hr (notice I said 'some', and I have 3 nieces who make just that), then insurance and out-of-pocket costs will always remain a challenge. But something radical needs to change in this area.
Yes, I do realize that something else needs to change. Fixing the ACA isn't enough. However, the Republican plan is not the answer.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:29 AM

26,754 posts, read 26,856,992 times
It'll be interesting to see what happens with the "new" health care bill.

House GOP Moves Forward on a New Compromise Addition to Health Care - NBC News

Old 04-22-2017, 09:50 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,760,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I don't think it will ever be truly "fixed", because it's been shattering for decades. I remember my employer in the 80's screaming to High Hell about the spike in healthcare costs to them, and they were not the only ones by any means. It continued to get worse over time and anybody in power with the ability to initiate changes didn't care.

Obamacare sucks. All it did was plant the seed, but it needs a LOT of improvement. It did nothing to lower the medical costs themselves; in fact, that keeps spiraling. And that continuous spiral is why rates keep going up. I've noticed in the last couple of years people heatedly complaining about their premiums going up and up, and once again aging employees are nervous about retiring due to insurance. We are headed back to square one.

Trump was smart in sitting back to let it implode on its own.
Half the population pays outrageous monthly premiums while the other group pays little is a no winner. My premiums went from $450 a month pre-Obamacare to over $900 a month and double the deductible after Obamacare. Do people actually think the people who pay full blown out ticket price would love it, just shut up and pay it. .

Once size can't fit all. Private sector insurance is better. Sure, there has to be changes but they have to compete for our money. They get creative with the plans they offer and we can buy insurance that fits out needs. As it stands with Obamacare, I'm forced to buy insurance that doesn't fit my needs.

But hey, at 56 yo, I have maternity care and dental for kids I don't have.

Last edited by petch751; 04-22-2017 at 09:59 AM..

Old 04-22-2017, 12:19 PM

26,754 posts, read 26,856,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Half the population pays outrageous monthly premiums while the other group pays little is a no winner.
That's my main complaint.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:03 PM

14,409 posts, read 14,329,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Half the population pays outrageous monthly premiums while the other group pays little is a no winner. My premiums went from $450 a month pre-Obamacare to over $900 a month and double the deductible after Obamacare. Do people actually think the people who pay full blown out ticket price would love it, just shut up and pay it. .

Once size can't fit all. Private sector insurance is better. Sure, there has to be changes but they have to compete for our money. They get creative with the plans they offer and we can buy insurance that fits out needs. As it stands with Obamacare, I'm forced to buy insurance that doesn't fit my needs.

But hey, at 56 yo, I have maternity care and dental for kids I don't have.
Private, for profit insurance, has demonstrated its a failure in terms of providing universal health care.

There are problems with the ACA, but nothing the republicans have suggested comes close to fixing it.

Ending the mandate to buy insurance will end the ACA.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Private, for profit insurance, has demonstrated its a failure in terms of providing universal health care.

There are problems with the ACA, but nothing the republicans have suggested comes close to fixing it.

Obamacare which costs millions a lot more for insurance that does not fit their needs has demonstrated failure in terms of providing universal health care INSURANCE.

Obama and Democrats promised our premiums would go down, instead they skyrocketed up.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Did Democrats really actually believe that the people who pay outrageous expensive monthly premiums would love it, pay those outrageous unaffordable premiums without fighting against it?

Some on the left did. Prior to the election one Democrat on this forum said these exact words... "shut up and pay it!". We were being ignored so we spoke with my vote as many in the blue wall states did.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:52 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,507,533 times
Quote:
Trump snookered the rubes. Now they are just figuring it out.
CNN interviewed a panel of Trump voters. I saw this today. Two older white men very upset on the health plan debacle, saying Trump should never have entertained that plan because it was NOT what he promised. Taking money from Medicaid to fund tax cuts, when Trump, at a rally, had promised one man whose son had died of a drug addiction he would enhance drug treatment options. Two women said, oh, they blame Ryan for "pulling the wool" over Trump's eyes, Ryan is the "swamp," Trump was not of the swamp, therefore Trump was not to blame. The men insisted Trump had a responsibility to KNOW the plan was not what he promised, and that to threaten elected reps and then say "let the citizens" pay the price showed he didn't care about the people or his promises.

The women were having none of it.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:45 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,821,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
CNN interviewed a panel of Trump voters. I saw this today. Two older white men very upset on the health plan debacle, saying Trump should never have entertained that plan because it was NOT what he promised. Taking money from Medicaid to fund tax cuts, when Trump, at a rally, had promised one man whose son had died of a drug addiction he would enhance drug treatment options. Two women said, oh, they blame Ryan for "pulling the wool" over Trump's eyes, Ryan is the "swamp," Trump was not of the swamp, therefore Trump was not to blame. The men insisted Trump had a responsibility to KNOW the plan was not what he promised, and that to threaten elected reps and then say "let the citizens" pay the price showed he didn't care about the people or his promises.

The women were having none of it.
I doubt seriously that Trump knows the difference in Obamacare and Medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance