Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 10:34 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,908,600 times

Advertisements

Thank you. Yes, that's why I chose Plan F. In fact, my agent wouldn't let me sign up for Plan F even if I had wanted to. Her belief was it's a flawed policy for too many seniors. I've been so happy with Plan G. It has worked really well for me. My only regret is not choosing Supplemental at the outset of my disability at age 59. I had 3 hospitalizations in one year. Had I chosen Supplemental at that time, my outlay would have been $300/mo. Can you imagine what 20% of 3 hospitalizations and surgeries cost? Yeah. There is a cap but the end result was still punitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 10:38 AM

247 posts, read 177,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Well that settles it for me, high deductible as I had planned. No Advantage plan either.

Now next question which is probably more of a general insurance question. You read people with long term cancer or say ALS having huge medical bills. I read Tuesday With Morrie and learned the author is donating the earnings to pay for his medical bills. Why is this so if your maximum out of pocket is defined in the policy? How are people not covered for these bills?
Large out-of-pocket expenses that people on Traditional Medicare might incur could result from not having a Medigap plan, long-term care costs that Medicare does not cover, or prescriptions where they either did not have a Part D Plan, the prescriptions were not covered by their Part D Plan, or prescription out-of-pocket costs (including the 5% for Part D catastrophic coverage).

Old 01-03-2022, 11:36 AM

16,284 posts, read 10,427,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieAllnut View Post
Large out-of-pocket expenses that people on Traditional Medicare might incur could result from not having a Medigap plan, long-term care costs that Medicare does not cover, or prescriptions where they either did not have a Part D Plan, the prescriptions were not covered by their Part D Plan, or prescription out-of-pocket costs (including the 5% for Part D catastrophic coverage).
My comment was not specific to Medicare. We read about people with cancer who were working and had health plans with defined out of pocket limits yet they are saddled with huge medical bills.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Thank you. Yes, that's why I chose Plan F. In fact, my agent wouldn't let me sign up for Plan F even if I had wanted to. Her belief was it's a flawed policy for too many seniors. I've been so happy with Plan G. It has worked really well for me. My only regret is not choosing Supplemental at the outset of my disability at age 59. I had 3 hospitalizations in one year. Had I chosen Supplemental at that time, my outlay would have been $300/mo. Can you imagine what 20% of 3 hospitalizations and surgeries cost? Yeah. There is a cap but the end result was still punitive.
Typo in first line. I chose PLAN G. I don't remember a choice between low deductible and high deductible. This was in October 2016. I have a low deductible ($168/yr for California, no co-pays).

The only thing I've ever had to pay extra for was in 2021 for home health care for 2 weeks for IV Infusion. It was $300. Regular Medicare doesn't cover that, so Supplemental plans don't cover it either.

Old 01-16-2022, 03:00 PM

4 posts, read 6,320 times
I have one thing to add about the Medicare hg plan versus the regular g plan. When having to make our decision, my husband and I had a thought that the regular g plan would encourage us to make appointments for check ups and screenings because we “are already paying for it,” while the hg plan would make us think twice about appointments because we would have to put out money. Don’t know if this makes any sense

Old 01-16-2022, 03:15 PM

247 posts, read 177,593 times
That’s fine if it works for you.

Since most doctor’s visits have an approximate $100-$130 Medicare-approved cost, after you get past the $233 annual Part B deductible that you would pay for with both Plan G and Plan G-HD, the additional cost of a doctor’s visit would be about $20 -$25 (20% coinsurance on $100-$125) with Plan G-HD.

I don’t know how many people would avoid a doctor’s visit for $20 - $25 and the additional monthly premium of over $100 for Plan G would probably dwarf the $20 - $25 coinsurance cost of doctors visits during the year.

Old 01-16-2022, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrose View Post
I have one thing to add about the Medicare hg plan versus the regular g plan. When having to make our decision, my husband and I had a thought that the regular g plan would encourage us to make appointments for check ups and screenings because we “are already paying for it,” while the hg plan would make us think twice about appointments because we would have to put out money. Don’t know if this makes any sense
I have the low deductible plan G and it is totally worth it. No referrals, no co-pays... the only thing I had to pay for last year was the yearly deductible (so small as to be next to nothing) and $300 for some home health visits for IV infusion for 2 weeks. Those visits are not covered by Medicare or my supplemental Plan G.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:37 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,672,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieAllnut View Post
That’s fine if it works for you.

Since most doctor’s visits have an approximate $100-$130 Medicare-approved cost, after you get past the $233 annual Part B deductible that you would pay for with both Plan G and Plan G-HD, the additional cost of a doctor’s visit would be about $20 -$25 (20% coinsurance on $100-$125) with Plan G-HD.

I don’t know how many people would avoid a doctor’s visit for $20 - $25 and the additional monthly premium of over $100 for Plan G would probably dwarf the $20 - $25 coinsurance cost of doctors visits during the year.
I agree. My last doctor office visit cost me $24. I'm very happy to pay that in return for my $45 per month premium for my high deductible F policy

Old 01-17-2022, 01:14 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,507,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I agree. My last doctor office visit cost me $24. I'm very happy to pay that in return for my $45 per month premium for my high deductible F policy
lol.....I laugh every time I read this. Ain't it great?...lol...

Old 01-18-2022, 08:01 PM

3,055 posts, read 3,326,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
?
If you have a Plan F your office visit should cost NOTHING. If you see Dr 2-3+ times a year still costs NOTHING. Premium only went up $9.00 this year.

Actually the office visit may cost more than $24. If you get blood work, flu shot, other tests total cost may get to $100 or more for what Medicare allows. Good deal if Dr takes Assignment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance