Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 09:07 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I believe that we are all responsible for our own health. Prevention, of course is the best approach. Simply by eating well, getting plenty of sleep and avoiding stress many ailments can be prevented. Not engaging in dangerous activities reduces the chances of injury, etc.

There was a time when people who had fractures knew how to set them and care for injuries, but people have lost this ability because they rely too heavily on medical intervention.

While it may be true that modern medicine has discovered penicillin, insulin, and other live-saving medications and it is true that modern medicine can stop bleeding that might otherwise be fatal, that there is much that we can still do to take care of ourselves and be as self-sufficient as possible.

Not only for the financial aspects of avoiding medical treatment, but for the satisfaction of knowing that we can take care of ourselves.

20yrsinBranson
When exactly was "this time" when people "set their own fractures"?

Sounds good but totally false

Hasn't happened in the last 200-300 years....people have been going to doctors and barber-surgeons for fracture care for AT LEAST that long...

Nonsense....

When people took care of their own fractures they also ended up with gnarly deformed limbs....but at least you could save a few bucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 10:02 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
When exactly was "this time" when people "set their own fractures"?

Sounds good but totally false

Hasn't happened in the last 200-300 years....people have been going to doctors and barber-surgeons for fracture care for AT LEAST that long...

Nonsense....

When people took care of their own fractures they also ended up with gnarly deformed limbs....but at least you could save a few bucks

Honestly, I wouldn't suggest going that far!

Last summer my ds fell and fractured his arm. There wasn't even a bruise, little swelling, just hurt a lot. Well, he was complaining of a lot of pain, so I took him to an Urgent Care clinic. They did an x-ray, and couldn't detect a fracture. They suggested coming back in 24 hours. They said sometime initial swelling makes a fracture difficult to detect. They did provide a temporary splint.

Well, the next day, sure enough, he did have a fracture, they put it in a cast, followed up with an orthopedic surgeon. Now, I didn't mind the first visit and cost, better safe than sorry, but again, its a judgment call. Especailly with children, their bones are growing, if not set properly, they could grow deformed, not good!

Old 12-22-2010, 10:08 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
I guess what I'm treying to say is, use some judgment, don't run to the doc for every little thing, and trust your own judgment, you know yourself the best.

Our insurance premiums are going up, and coverage is less next year. We really have had whoppers of medical bills, much for unecessary tests, etc, many condiitons resolved themselves, if we'd just waited a bit, but there again, you have to make your own judgment calls.

I'm so frustrated with all the medical stuff, not only the money, but the time involved. People act like you've got nothing to do but run to doctors. I developed a balance issue and couldn't drive for the last 6 months, so dh got stuck running the kids here, there, everywhere. I got so sick of shcool nurses calling that kid was coughing, come get him, and "what did the doctor say"? They all but insisted we run him to a doctor for any little thing, then wanted us to get him evaluated for ADD, etc, run here and there, hey, wait, isn't the school supposed to do educational testing? Well...........with that, DH doctors, running dd to the orthodontist, and my issues, we had to decide what was necessary and what was simply to please someone else.

We finally had to draw the line somewhere, it was ridiculous all the running around dh was doing, it was like a FT job doing that! If someone is that sick they need all that, well, then they don't belong in public shcool to begin with!

Old 12-23-2010, 12:00 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I do agree with MaryLee that urgent care clinics are good if you are not sure. They - at least here - have long hours and are open on many holidays. If they find something more serious, they will refer you out.

That's how my kidney cyst was discovered, the urgent care place thought I had diverticulitis (I did) but since I had never had it and I was over 60, the doc thought a CT was advisible. and then the ultrasound, and then waiting and surgery. But at least the urgent care docs were responsible in my treatment. Had I ignored their advice, a potential malignant growth would not have been discovered early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness