Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 04:01 AM

977 posts, read 1,109,428 times

Advertisements

Joan,
Thanks for sharing, and I hope your life improves......I'm 61, and also worried. Stress sure does affect us, doesn't it? I'm also an artist, BTW.
Peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 07:05 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Joan, if Imodium works for you then use it. Loperamide (Imodium) is an opiate but it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier, so it's not supposed to be addictive. Most doctors will tell you to take it for as long as you need it.

You should also consider asking your doc for an anti anxiety drug like Valium or Ativan, these ARE addictive, but if you need them just one or two days per week they're a huge help.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:03 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,424 times
I realize this thread is pretty inactive, but I HATE my IBS. It was basically a lack of other problem diagnosis...about 6 years ago.

It comes and goes - I can go for months-years with no problems and then all of the sudden a bad week. Like others here stress and anxiety seems to agitate the problem. Honestly the problem for me is that I WORRY about needing a bathroom. For the most part, if I know I can get to a restroom, I'm fine. I am terrified of being stuck in traffic. And then there are the time when it's not just in my head - and I have to go NOW. Anyone else with the ridiculous sense of urgency? Solutions?

Old 05-28-2012, 08:39 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
I had it for a few years and tried everything and nothing worked (diet, acupuncture, etc.) - dairy HAD to be eliminated during that time - it absolutely made things worse.

Now I am back to normal . . .in retrospect, I think what happened is that I became OVERWHELMED with my life (my dad died, got a new job, had other family issues to deal with and just life itself) - I think it was all just too much and my body had a hissy fit that resulted in IBS.

I have subsequently eliminated (no pun intended) a lot of the stress and am back to normal. I try to get weekly massages, which helps with my overall stress level - and I don't drink mochas the way I used to before I knew what the problem was - but I do drink coffee now, can eat ice cream, bleu cheese (thank God!), etc.

So to anyone who has active IBS I would say "Are you feeling overwhelmed?" and if so, is there anything you can do about it? Have you tried massage and other methods of relaxation?

Old 05-28-2012, 09:15 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
I realize this thread is pretty inactive, but I HATE my IBS. It was basically a lack of other problem diagnosis...about 6 years ago.

It comes and goes - I can go for months-years with no problems and then all of the sudden a bad week. Like others here stress and anxiety seems to agitate the problem. Honestly the problem for me is that I WORRY about needing a bathroom. For the most part, if I know I can get to a restroom, I'm fine. I am terrified of being stuck in traffic. And then there are the time when it's not just in my head - and I have to go NOW. Anyone else with the ridiculous sense of urgency? Solutions?
For me, travel is a huge stresser and used to always set it off, even if I'd been fine for six months previously. The absolute worse was having an IBS flare while actually on a plane and having to run to the bathroom the entire flight. At one point there was a drink cart blocking the aisle on both sides of me and I was seriously contemplating JUMPING over the suckers!

Because IBS seems so connected to stress, hypnosis actually has a great success rate. Now, I have to say first that I'm not a big 'alternative' person at all. I think chiropractors are dangerous and homeopathy is snake oil. Hypnosis is simply not my 'thing.'

But studies have shown that hypnosis does work for IBS, with greater than 80% of people reporting a reduction in symptoms. And it did help me. I got a series of CDs from Heather's IBS site. They aren't cheap, but it's a complete series. You listen to certain tracks each night over the course of a month or more...it's been a long time since I needed to use it.

The thing that stuck with me the most was picturing a mental 'dial'. When my intestines were being overactive, I was to picture turning the dial down. When they were being sluggish, I was to picture turning it up. I still do that almost ten years later.

The other thing is that IBS is so painful and embarrassing that you do start to fear it. The more afraid you are of the next bout, the more stressed you get...it's a terrible cycle. Breaking that cycle is so important and the hypnosis therapy helps you to lose that fear. Just reading the books and understanding what was happening helped me with that.

I go to Boston every year for three days for a big video game con. Last year I was afraid I would get an IBS flare (even though I hadn't had one for a long time) because of the traveling. And you know what? I did. By the train ride home I was an absolute wreck...I was on the edge of tears the whole ride because I was miserable and felt so sick.

This year, I decided I wasn't going to be afraid. The month before the con I went to bed each night with the thought in my head that I would NOT get sick. I wasn't even particularly careful what I ate at the con. I had ice cream and pizza, for goodness sake! But I didn't get sick at all.

It sounds so silly, but just try letting go of that worry and fear. (I know, simpler said than done, right?)

Old 05-29-2012, 01:18 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Wow, have you been through a lot. But, like me and so many others, you are finding your way regardless of what the doctors say. How are you with cheese? Does that help? What about drinking aloe vera juice It's healing but I wonder if it also causes diarrhea. The only other thing I can think of is that one time when I was very truly totally sick, a smart doctor advised squash--just winter squash mashed and eaten plain--said it was like a neutral food that usually didn't cause any ill effects.

I wish I could help you more but maybe someone else will come along with good advice.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:34 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Wow, have you been through a lot. But, like me and so many others, you are finding your way regardless of what the doctors say. How are you with cheese? Does that help? What about drinking aloe vera juice It's healing but I wonder if it also causes diarrhea. The only other thing I can think of is that one time when I was very truly totally sick, a smart doctor advised squash--just winter squash mashed and eaten plain--said it was like a neutral food that usually didn't cause any ill effects.

I wish I could help you more but maybe someone else will come along with good advice.
Squash mashed up has a ton of soluble fiber...always good for IBS. The interesting thing is that soluble fiber helps with both C and D type IBS...it works for constipation AND diarrhea. It basically forms a gel in the intestines and helps keep things regulated.

Most people with IBS are better off avoiding dairy like cheese. It isn't that they are lactose intolerant...that's a common misconception. Some people with IBS produce the enzyme needed to break down lactose and 'should' be able to eat dairy without issues. However, diary contains proteins that are hard for the body to break down like whey. If your intestines are oversensitive as in IBS, the dairy can cause issues even when you aren't technically lactose intolerant.

For many years I couldn't take dairy at all. I still can't drink milk...I use rice milk (and it tastes terrible, I must say.) I have recently been able to cheese back in limited amounts without any issues, so I finally get to get pizza again! I can't even imagine trying to drink milk through. Oddly I can eat no-fat ice cream, but not low-fat.

Sorry for the info dump again...it's really important to me to get information out there on helping to control this. The tips don't work for everybody, but I had such a rough road with this thing that I'm still super enthusiastic about NOT feeling sick to my stomach.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:47 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,477 times
I recommend the herbal remedies...more specifically, THE herbal remedy.

Relieves stress, eases pain, increases appetite, facilitates better digestive habits...

I notice I'd eat exactly what my body seemed to need, and stay away from the things it didn't. I began eating bran all the time despite never really being a fan because that is what I was jonesing for.

I guess, the short story is...drink a whole lot of water, and figure out what you should be eating...as dictated by your body.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:37 PM

977 posts, read 1,109,428 times
Just want to thank everybody for posting! It helps to read what works for others, and to know that at least someone understands. Like several others, traveling is difficult for me. This time I tried not to worry and jsut to "go with the flow". had some issues, but nothing too bad. But that was only over 5 days. "Normal" people definitely DO NOT want to hear about this stuff, lol!

Old 06-02-2012, 05:32 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,185 times
Thanks for this. My father has problems that resemble IBS. He hasn't been diagnosed with it, but I suspect whatever it is, some of the things you've done would probably be the best treatment for him.

Problem is, he is convinced that his diet doesn't matter. He's 81. Extremely stubborn and it extremley challenging to deal with him and to modify his diet.

I have one question...why eliminate insoluble fiber? I thought all fiber was good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness