Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 05:25 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,800,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Those articles are chicken little based hysteria that cite blogs. I wouldn't trust those authors any more than I would trust the TSA.
I know and anyway--doesn't everything cause cancer? At least eventually?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 05:38 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I know and anyway--doesn't everything cause cancer? At least eventually?
I think we should definitely approach radiation with caution. I don't see the point in the misleading articles. They just scare people and I find it unethical. The whole using radiation as a treatment for cancer to argue a risk for cancer had my eyes rolling.

Yea, enough of anything could probably cause cancer. One of my profs in college said that if we all live long enough we'll eventually develop a cancer.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:45 PM

825 posts, read 1,035,037 times
These scanners are an unnecessary risk and I refuse to go through them.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-02-2012 at 07:07 PM..

Old 09-02-2012, 05:50 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
The amount of radiation from the machines is approximately the same as someone living in the US gets from environmental sources in about ten minutes. It is also about the same as what you would get in less than five minutes during a commercial airline flight. So if you are worried about cancer from the scanner, you should also be worried about cancer from the flight itself.

The radiation exposure is trivial compared to what we get just from our activities of daily living.

I am willing to accept the embarrassment of having my less than perfect body scanned in exchange for increasing the safety of the flight I plan to take.

Even the scanners are not foolproof, but perhaps knowing they are there will deter some people from attempting to hijack a plane, which is the whole point of the security measures we go through when we fly these days.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:08 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
Put on your tin foil hats when you leave the safety of your homes - the sun is your most *constant* source of radiation outside. Inside, best ditch the microwave oven, toss your cell phone in (someone else's) trash, and totally burn your wifi internet access. Those are ALL sources of radiation.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:34 AM

825 posts, read 1,035,037 times
Anyone who does not see the distinction between these body scanners and other sources of radiation (e.g. the sun, flying, etc) is a fool. This is an unnecessary risk. This nonsense is not required anywhere else but the US and UK. I will not expose myself to more radiation so some well connected business man can make more profit building these machines, while appeasing the more cowardly of our citizenry.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:58 AM

51 posts, read 265,509 times
Quote:
Those articles are chicken little based hysteria that cite blogs. I wouldn't trust those authors any more than I would trust the TSA.
Apparently the European Union is histeric as well because they have banned these scanners on its territory:

Could airport body scanners cause cancer? | CBS 58 | Local News

If you trust FDA and TSA, that's your problem, I don't....

Old 09-03-2012, 07:53 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,098,308 times
Are they in use at all airports? I was under the impression that not all airports use full body imaging scanners. If that is the case, you could choose to depart and arrive in airports that do not use them.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:10 AM

289 posts, read 568,163 times
Quote:
I was just reading about this today here. According to that article, many of the scanners are just metal detectors, which should not pose a problem. You could ask at the airport. But some are apparently "backscatter" machines that use low-level X-ray. I would mostly worry about this during pregnancy and certainly opt for the pat down if pregnant.

I have two knee replacements, two hip replacments, a shoulder replacment, and a wrist full of screws and bolts. Various doctor's offices have told me they no longer issues cards attesting to your status as almost bionic. Anyone know what happens to someone like me?

Old 09-03-2012, 08:14 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I don't understand the problem. The scan takes less than 10 seconds! A patdown can take nearly an hour if they don't have someone readily available.
No, it doesn't.
I have routinely refused the cancer machine and it takes less than a minute to do a pat down.

And if you are cutting it that close to your flight that an extra 5 or 10 minutes will make you miss your plane, you need to leave earlier.

I have been 2 hours early for my flight routinely and security lines can still be so out of control that you cut it close.

Be prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness