Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:47 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,598,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Benadryl helps my migraines. Of course it makes you sleepy, but I'd rather be asleep with no migraine than laying in bed in a dark room all day, or for several days, because I can't open my eyes and it hurts to move my head.

800 mg of ibuprofen also helps somewhat.

The main thing for me is to stay hydrated. If I get busy and drink less water than usual, I will have a migraine the next day.

I too also need to keep hydrated or I'm heading for trouble.

I (or rather my doctor) unexpectedly found that my migraines were somehow allergy-related. I take zyrtec regularly (prophylactically, it doesnt work when I'm already in it) at some times of the year. Now I very rarely get migraines with nausea, and when its bad its mostly just a medium headache. Changed my life. Also, if I've been taking zyrtec for a few days I can now actually drink a good red wine with my dinnner without fearing for the migraine consequences the next day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 01:51 AM

4,001 posts, read 6,288,529 times
I have just come home from the hospital for a migraine.

A lot of the GP's locally will not prescribe drugs of addiction so you can't get anything except over the counter, and for a migraine type headache you may as well not even bother. I was taking so many that I began to worry about my kidneys etc so today I went to emergency.

The doctor was wonderful and gave me Tramadol which has worked - she said I can combine it with ibuprofen too if need be.

I suggest your daughter look in to online medications if she can't afford a doctor visit.

O/t but living in Australia, everything was free...even the meds, they gave me some.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:53 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,429,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I have just come home from the hospital for a migraine.

A lot of the GP's locally will not prescribe drugs of addiction so you can't get anything except over the counter, and for a migraine type headache you may as well not even bother. I was taking so many that I began to worry about my kidneys etc so today I went to emergency.

The doctor was wonderful and gave me Tramadol which has worked - she said I can combine it with ibuprofen too if need be.

I suggest your daughter look in to online medications if she can't afford a doctor visit.

O/t but living in Australia, everything was free...even the meds, they gave me some.

Do you have a neurologist who specializes in headaches following you? Someone who has been to the ER for migraine deserves the right doctor following them.

Many GPs are becoming more comfortable prescribing the tryptans now. Have you tried these?

Old 10-21-2012, 01:29 AM

878 posts, read 2,744,169 times
I went for one straight year having daily headaches. It was the most unbearable thing I have ever been through. After many different cocktail of drugs, my neurologist recommended Migrelief which I order from Amazon and it was my miracle drug. I am 7 months in and 7 months headache free.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:52 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,172,138 times
I used to have migraines almost every morning upon waking. My neurologist explained to me that I was having rebound headaches from taking over the counter pain relievers too often for my headaches. It took about one painful week to get all of the over the counter meds out of my system, but I noticed a drastic reduction in my migraines once I stopped taking all of the OTC meds. I was on preventative meds, but I am currently pregnant so I am not able to take any of them.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:16 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,834,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
I used to have migraines almost every morning upon waking. My neurologist explained to me that I was having rebound headaches from taking over the counter pain relievers too often for my headaches. It took about one painful week to get all of the over the counter meds out of my system, but I noticed a drastic reduction in my migraines once I stopped taking all of the OTC meds. I was on preventative meds, but I am currently pregnant so I am not able to take any of them.

and my neurologist poopoo'ed the rebound migraine theory I brought up to him. It's a for real thing though and yea you do have to suffer through several migraines to break the cycle.

Pregnant eh? Congrats and I hope you have few to no migraines during the pregnancy

Old 10-21-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
I went for one straight year having daily headaches. It was the most unbearable thing I have ever been through. After many different cocktail of drugs, my neurologist recommended Migrelief which I order from Amazon and it was my miracle drug. I am 7 months in and 7 months headache free.
it's an OTC med and it works??
Are the pills large? I absolutely hate swallowing pills.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:39 AM

I checked it out and it seems it's basically feverfew and magnesium. I do know taking magnesium helps relieve migraines; I know little about feverfew. I'll research that.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:31 AM
ino

680 posts, read 2,504,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
My daughter suffers from migraine-type headaches, sometimes with nausea and sometimes not. She is very sensitive to caffeine, also; more than one cup of weak coffee makes her very jittery. She does detail work with her hands, self-employed sewing/embroidering baby clothes, so cannot drink coffee or caffeinated soft drinks and work.

In addition, she does not have health insurance at present.

Since there is a family history of migraines, I know what used to work for me--Imitrex; of course, a prescription. Sometimes BC and Goody powders with black coffee work for me, but she would be bouncing off the walls with that combination, I'm afraid--she has used Exedrin Migraine in the past with good results but now it upsets her stomach! Does anyone know of any other over-the-counter med or a treatment for her to try? Thanks so much!
Try sucking on an indigestion tablet, Rennies, Quikeze or whatever they are called your way.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:31 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,955,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I checked it out and it seems it's basically feverfew and magnesium. I do know taking magnesium helps relieve migraines; I know little about feverfew. I'll research that.
Feverfew has been proven to reduce both the frequency and severity of migraines; 4 studies in The Lancet in the 90s.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness