Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 06:30 PM

311 posts, read 466,986 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any input on whopping cough shots for adults? Not sure if I should get one.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-07-2012 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: Corrected thread title for OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 11:00 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Default Pertussis vaccine for adults

Start here:

Pertussis (Whooping Cough)

Old 10-29-2012, 05:08 PM

311 posts, read 466,986 times
Thanks suzy_q2010 I book marked that site.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:24 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,165,804 times
You may have had it when you were younger. I'm pregnant and asked my OB about it this past week. He looked through my medical records and I had it at some point.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
You may have had it when you were younger. I'm pregnant and asked my OB about it this past week. He looked through my medical records and I had it at some point.
Had what? Whooping cough or the vaccine? No matter which one, a booster is recommended. Having whooping cough does not convey permanent immunity.

CDC - Pertussis: Frequently Asked Questions

"First, vaccinate pregnant women with Tdap during their third or late second trimester. By getting Tdap during pregnancy, mothers build antibodies that are transferred to the newborn, likely providing protection against pertussis in early life, before the baby can start getting DTaP vaccines at 2 months old. Tdap also protects mothers during delivery, making them less likely to transmit pertussis to their infants.

Second, make sure everyone around the infant is immunized. This includes parents, siblings, grandparents (including those 65 years and older), other family members, babysitters, etc. They should get the age-appropriate vaccine (DTaP or Tdap) at least two weeks before coming into close contact with the infant."

Please refer your OB to the CDC site.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:01 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
I wouldn't even think of getting a vaccine when you're pregnant......Tdap Vaccine Pushed on Pregnant Women Despite Fetal Risks

Old 10-29-2012, 07:56 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
I don't think there is any risk involved in the Tdap for pregnant women or the fetus, but in my area they give it to the mom before she leaves the hospital right after having given birth.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:28 PM

741 posts, read 1,678,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Second, make sure everyone around the infant is immunized. This includes parents, siblings, grandparents (including those 65 years and older), other family members, babysitters, etc. They should get the age-appropriate vaccine (DTaP or Tdap) at least two weeks before coming into close contact with the infant."

Please refer your OB to the CDC site.
My daughter is about to give birth (due in 5 days) to my first Grandchild and she insists that everyone gets the Tdap vaccine before going near the baby! She is terrified of the whooping cough epidemic that is spreading everywhere! I am very proud of her for being such a good -about-to-be Mama !!

BTW Walgreens has a take-care clinic and they do the vaccine if anyone doesn't have insurance..

Old 10-29-2012, 09:33 PM

Default Vaccines in pregnancy

CDC - Pregnant Women and Vaccines - Parents - Vaccines

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6041a4.htm

"Safety of Tdap in Pregnant Women

In prelicensure evaluations, the safety of administering a booster dose of Tdap to pregnant women was not studied. Because information on use of Tdap in pregnant women was lacking, both manufacturers of Tdap established pregnancy registries to collect information and pregnancy outcomes from pregnant women vaccinated with Tdap. Data on the safety of administering Tdap to pregnant women are now available. ACIP reviewed published and unpublished data from VAERS, Sanofi Pasteur (Adacel) and GlaxoSmithKline (Boostrix) pregnancy registries, and small studies. Adverse events reported were unlikely to have been caused by the vaccine. Both tetanus and diphtheria toxoids (Td) and tetanus toxoid vaccines have been used extensively in pregnant women worldwide to prevent neonatal tetanus. Tetanus- and diphtheria-toxoid containing vaccines administered during pregnancy have not been shown to be teratogenic (9,10). From a safety perspective, ACIP concluded that administration of Tdap after 20 weeks' gestation is preferred to minimize the risk for any low-frequency adverse event and the possibility that any spurious association might appear causative."

The vaccine does not cause birth defects. It has been extensively studied, and the benefits of vaccinating mom in order for her to pass protection to her baby are immense.

The Washington situation:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6128a1.htm

"Unvaccinated children have at least an eightfold greater risk for pertussis than children fully vaccinated with DTaP"

"Although vaccinated children can develop pertussis, they are less infectious, have milder symptoms and shorter illness duration, and are at reduced risk for severe outcomes, including hospitalization."

There were at least ten deaths from whooping cough in California in 2010. All were under three months old and eight were less than eight weeks.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/10/20...ugh/index.html

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 10-29-2012 at 09:58 PM..

Old 10-29-2012, 10:08 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I wouldn't even think of getting a vaccine when you're pregnant......Tdap Vaccine Pushed on Pregnant Women Despite Fetal Risks
The "Healthy Home Economist".....what a wealth of responsible and knowledgeable medical advice....NOT.

We all know "you" wouldn't consider getting a vaccine of ANY type, pregnant or not....the rest of the educated human race will continue to understand the importance and safety of recommended vaccines...even those given during pregnancy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness