Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:46 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,899 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone else here has had it.. and if so, how long did it take you to get better--? that is if you ever did get completely better. My S.O. & I had it this past summer and it was horrible. None of the doctors we went to (desperate for help) picked up on it-- they were clueless about the symptoms and I figured out what we were suffering from myself-- you guessed it,, from the internet. (Even though doctors look down on that!) We had to call the doctors and tell THEM what we had.
Apparently it's one of the most undiagnosed illnesses- because people (including docs) don't know how to recognize it, even though it has a very distinctive, unmistakable cough and other predictable symptoms. Anyway.... I would love to hear anyone's feedback. It's been several months after a slow recovery, and we are still suffering from symptoms (not debilitating, but still). I wonder, do your lungs/trachea ever completely heal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 08:32 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I haven't had it, but my brother did when he was in his late 40's. It knocked him around for months. He has fully recovered, but it took a long time.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:04 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
Just wondering if anyone else here has had it.. and if so, how long did it take you to get better--? that is if you ever did get completely better. My S.O. & I had it this past summer and it was horrible. None of the doctors we went to (desperate for help) picked up on it-- they were clueless about the symptoms and I figured out what we were suffering from myself-- you guessed it,, from the internet. (Even though doctors look down on that!) We had to call the doctors and tell THEM what we had.
Apparently it's one of the most undiagnosed illnesses- because people (including docs) don't know how to recognize it, even though it has a very distinctive, unmistakable cough and other predictable symptoms. Anyway.... I would love to hear anyone's feedback. It's been several months after a slow recovery, and we are still suffering from symptoms (not debilitating, but still). I wonder, do your lungs/trachea ever completely heal?
The reason the healthcare providers you went to see were "clueless" about Whooping cough is because it had been basically eradicated in this country for years...Many docs in practice today never saw a case during their training.

There has been a resurgence of the disease over the past 5 years or so as more parents forego vaccinations....

Old 01-06-2010, 08:26 PM

Hi Blue.. yeah, I know.. learned all about it the hard way!... and that's one of my points.. that healthcare workers need to be better informed about it now that it's coming back. And it's true what you say about the anti-vaccine crowd (although I can certainly see why parents are fearful of vaccines),, but it's also due to the fact that so many people who got childhood are now vulnerable to it again, as the immunity has worn off.
Mod cut: not necessary.

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-07-2010 at 05:36 AM..

Old 01-07-2010, 10:21 PM

that was supposed to read-- 'so many people who got childhood shots'. My proofreader was off today.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:18 AM
FOF

1 posts, read 9,030 times
Yes, my kids fully vaccinated, 7 years old, Jan 2010 had it. My daughter with severe asthma, started with this unusual night cough scary, she will look like she couldnt breath, then she will turn red, so I started asthma medication. Three days later to the doctors office, on more asthma medication, and not getting better. At night was the worse attacks, after 12 she will wake up coughing and choking sometimes vomiting mucus, every hour. I call 911 once, we have been 5 times to ER, seen 10 different doctors, and my guess to be a wooping cough was always discarted because she had been vaccinated. She is been sick for 2 months going to the 3rd. Getting better, my other two kids got it, less severe. I am happy that I have internet that help me, better then the doctors.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:45 PM

Yes... it certainly sounds like that's what your daughter has. Amazing, isn't it? ..how clueless the doctors seem to be about this. And people always say 'don't rely on the internet for health information'..... yeah! well,, if I didn't research our symptoms on the net, I NEVER would have known. By the way.... it's 8 months later and we can FINALLY say we haven't had any uncontrollable coughing fits in while.. so I guess we're finally over it. However if we laugh (a big laugh),, we might still have one and then end up trying to clear the gunk out of our throats (which feels like glue!) for the next half hour. Seriously.. this is not an exaggeration. So, that's the last symptom that's still lingering, and may for a long time.
Anyway I'm glad to know you found out what was ailing your kids.. that must have been very scary, especially with your daughter's asthma. Glad she is getting better! And kudos to you for questioning what you were told til you found the answer. That is a shame that the docs didn't realize what most people already know..... that even though you're vaccinated, you can still get the illness. I thought that was Health Care 101........????!

Old 08-24-2010, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 8,573 times
I am in my 50's and I have also been diagnosed with pertussis. After passing out from coughing three times I was admitted to the hospital. In the hospital I had a coughing spasm, passed out, my heart stopped for 30 seconds and I had a seizure. A temporary pace maker was inserted and I was in Intensive Care for four days. I was tested on the first day for Pertussis but the test itself can take two weeks. I was treated for six days with IV Azithromycin and released on the 8th day. Finally my test came back positive for Pertussis. It has been two weeks since I have been released from the hospital but the cough continues. I have never been so sick and I pray it will not come back.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:58 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,830 times
Fiancee had it and it took 3-4 months to go away.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:18 PM

154 posts, read 357,379 times
I had a pleural effusion a year ago. No cough. But, bloodwork showed Pertussis. I am a teacher of 7 years olds. Lots of "undocumented" parents and kids at my school, so many without shots. Doc said that the pertussis could not create the pleural effusion, but they never found out what did. They drained 3 liters from my right chest cavity, and punctured my lung in the process, so created a pheumothorax. Needed chest tubes for a couple of weeks. Still dealing with the internal scarring from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness