Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 09:40 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,744,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
He said he feels okay now, so i'm assuming that it's the loss of blood that is making him dizzy, you know, similar to when you get blood taken and feel light headed shortly afterwards. He is drinking lots of water and I will monitor him to make sure he's okay, but for now he seems stable and not sweating any more either.
If he is losing that much blood thru urine he should have been at the ER instead of you wasting time on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 10:35 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,012 times
Quote:
The issue now is, he is feeling very light headed like he's going to pass out.... he's just getting sweats and feels light headed/dizzy.
The symptoms are quite consistent with hypovolemic shock, which is caused by loss of blood.

He needs immediate medical attention.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:04 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,224,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ2 View Post
The most reasonable advice is to take him to ER.

It is NOT stone you armchair doctors. Kidney stones can not cause massive bleed to make anyone dizzy.
Question to OP: is he on blood thinner (e.g. Warfarin or Praxada)? And is this the first time it happened? Any pain?
If he is on blood thinner there is a good chance that he is having a cardiac problem.
Other possibilities are urosepsis or rhabdomyolysis (red urine is not necessarily blood).
Pot meet kettle...

So everyone else here is an "arm chair" doctor but not you right?

First off, kidney stone is one of the most common causes of gross hematuria, OP never mentioned a "massive bleed"

If you read the OP it IS hematuria the patient has already seen a doc and if the appearance isn't enough to tell the difference a quick dipstick and look at a slide will confirm

Rhabdo is tea or cola colored urine, pretty hard to confuse with bright red urine of hematuria if you are used to looking at it...

Its Pradaxa not Praxada

Could he be having a cardiac problem in addition to the urinary problem? Sure but there isn't enough info to make that call. There are other reasons to be on an anticoagulant besides cardiac and if the patient is taking one doesn't necessarily make this cardiac..

About the only things I agree with is take him to an ED and this could be urosepsis

Old 02-20-2015, 07:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
He said he feels okay now, so i'm assuming that it's the loss of blood that is making him dizzy, you know, similar to when you get blood taken and feel light headed shortly afterwards. He is drinking lots of water and I will monitor him to make sure he's okay, but for now he seems stable and not sweating any more either.
It would take a lot of blood loss for him to say he feels that bad. op, it has been 2 days, what is the verdict or is there one?

Old 02-21-2015, 03:40 PM

373 posts, read 482,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Pot meet kettle...

So everyone else here is an "arm chair" doctor but not you right?

First off, kidney stone is one of the most common causes of gross hematuria, OP never mentioned a "massive bleed"

If you read the OP it IS hematuria the patient has already seen a doc and if the appearance isn't enough to tell the difference a quick dipstick and look at a slide will confirm

Rhabdo is tea or cola colored urine, pretty hard to confuse with bright red urine of hematuria if you are used to looking at it...

Its Pradaxa not Praxada

Could he be having a cardiac problem in addition to the urinary problem? Sure but there isn't enough info to make that call. There are other reasons to be on an anticoagulant besides cardiac and if the patient is taking one doesn't necessarily make this cardiac..

About the only things I agree with is take him to an ED and this could be urosepsis
You are also just another pot. Medical student I assume?

Gross hematuria can not cause massive blood loss to the point that pt. would be feeling dizzy.
Hence, the diagnosis of kidney stone or prostrate cancer is just foolish at this point.
How many PCPs do actually look at the urine sediment under slide?
How many patients can tell the difference between rhabdo vs. hematuria grossly?
likely possibilities are 1) his dad had an UTI causing hematuria and his dizziness is from sepsis 2) his dad has atrial fibrillation. Dizziness is because of that. Hematuria is a separate issue but could be due to high INR. 3) less likely but possible that his dad is on antipsychotics, hence Rhabdo is in play.

To OP, what did you end up doing?

Old 02-22-2015, 12:23 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,224,290 times
Quote:
You are also just another pot. Medical student I assume?

Gross hematuria can not cause massive blood loss to the point that pt. would be feeling dizzy.
Hence, the diagnosis of kidney stone or prostrate cancer is just foolish at this point.
How many PCPs do actually look at the urine sediment under slide?
How many patients can tell the difference between rhabdo vs. hematuria grossly?
likely possibilities are 1) his dad had an UTI causing hematuria and his dizziness is from sepsis 2) his dad has atrial fibrillation. Dizziness is because of that. Hematuria is a separate issue but could be due to high INR. 3) less likely but possible that his dad is on antipsychotics, hence Rhabdo is in play.

To OP, what did you end up doing?
You have no idea what you are talking about, no healthcare experience I assume??

Like to look things up on google and consider yourself an expert no doubt?

The OP took his dad to a doc, hematuria is a given so rhabdo is ridiculous to even bring up...

Anyone following along with an iota of understanding realizes that the dizziness described is not from massive blood loss through the urine which does not exclude kidney stones or prostate issues as the cause of hematuria with a separate laundry list of possibilities that explain the dizziness..

You make assumptions regarding pre existing conditions such as Afib and mental illness that were NEVER even hinted at but scoff at the much more likely diagnoses given information provided.

If you hear hooves behind you its usually a horse not a zebra....

Old 02-22-2015, 12:54 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,140,733 times
i feel like i'm in M&M rounds

Old 02-22-2015, 01:03 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,182,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about, no healthcare experience I assume??

Like to look things up on google and consider yourself an expert no doubt?

The OP took his dad to a doc, hematuria is a given so rhabdo is ridiculous to even bring up...

Anyone following along with an iota of understanding realizes that the dizziness described is not from massive blood loss through the urine which does not exclude kidney stones or prostate issues as the cause of hematuria with a separate laundry list of possibilities that explain the dizziness..

You make assumptions regarding pre existing conditions such as Afib and mental illness that were NEVER even hinted at but scoff at the much more likely diagnoses given information provided.

If you hear hooves behind you its usually a horse not a zebra....

Good points. Like others, I hope the OP comes back to close the loop, because we are all curious.

When I read it initially, I assumed based on personal experience I have had with both many UTIs (myself) and kidney stones (my husband, on 3 separate occasions) that the hematuria was probably not much actual blood loss, since any amount of visible blood looks like a lot to the layperson, but usually isn't.

As far as the dizziness, it occurred in 2 of the 3 kidney stone attacks my husband had, along with profuse sweating, nausea and vomiting. Had nothing to do with the stones; it's just those symptoms are common physiological reactions to the acute pain.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:34 PM

373 posts, read 482,548 times
Thank you for making a big assumption. No, I did not have to google it. I work in health care. Try not to think separately for each process. Why have 10 different diagnoses when it is likely only one. Severe pain associated with stone can cause dizziness but then he would also have nausea. And OP did not mention any pain at all. I doubt it is kidney stone. Prostrate cancer is very unlikely to cause these symptoms. How often does prostrate cancer cause gross bleeding? So, let's go back. We have gross blood in urine + dizziness. Try to think of processes that link both together. As I have said before it is likely urosepsis or uncontrolled afib (assuming his dad was already on warfarin) or worsening of chronic anemia. Rhabdo is much less likely in this case but easy to miss if you are not careful. UA would show +blood but no RBC. Now, OP please come back and update us. I can easily bet that it is not kidney stone or prostrate cancer.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:41 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,140,733 times
Quote:
uncontrolled afib (assuming his dad was already on warfarin) .
this is how you "diagnose"??

working in health care can mean anyone from housekeeping to SPD to HUCs to NAs to COS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness