Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 04:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times

Advertisements

I ordered my bifocal glasses online. Three pairs for about $115 total. No problem at all. If they didn't fit, I could have gone to a local eye doctor for an adjustment (usually free).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 05:10 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
a reader or bi focal may work the progressive is costly and get correct measurement.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:16 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,749 times
I got my new eyeglasses at Walmart vision center and paid a lot less for them then I did for my previous pair 3 yrs. ago. The exam was $59 which I thought was very reasonable. I was very please, everything was perfect.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:28 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
I'll look at Costco and see what they have. Do they do eye exams or just sell glasses?
They do exams, but not walk ins...just to get glasses you can walk in, take a number. I was told by my opthamologist that Costco buys frames from the previous season. I like my frames to look good, not be style setting...I don't care.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:34 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I always seem to need 3 new pairs of glasses at the same time - and I am usually in a hurry (because either I have broken at least one pair or lost one or more pairs - or at the very moment that the 'guarantee' and my prescription runs out, they suddenly get all scratched or the coating peels off).

And I also am still going between 2 countries so I have used Lenscrafter's for years (because they now have my prescription record in both if I walk in and ask). I don't use insurance any more so it can be a hefty sum (over $1k although when I buy in 'bulk' some 'special' always seem to suddenly appear so that helps) when I have to go in but they do do eye exams on premises in most places and I can get glasses in an hour or two most of the time right after the exam (which I don't need an appointment for - but I DO have to caution them not to do 'extra' tests I don't need and don't want to pay for - they charge extra for anything they can deem a 'medical issue' even if insurance isn't used and nothing has changed in a zillion years - and they don't tell you they did those extra tests till after the exam when you are paying).

I also tried several times to just get the lenses replaced at Lenscrafter's when the frames were still fine but somehow that style has 'gone out of fashion' now so we don't have 'those lenses' any more and we can't get them.

I have wanted for years to try the online route but I don't think the prescriptions I get from Lenscrafter's gives all the info I need - and I tried once to get them to tell me about the fitting aspects (distance between eyes, etc.) but they would not. I haven't yet tried Costco though but I may soon.

Those of you touting Zenni's .. do I have to go to an independent optometrist or eye doctor (i.e. I am gathering that going to Lencrafter's for that part would not be ideal?) to get all the info I need to try Zenni's? And how long do you wait for your glasses generally?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
A standard lens prescription gives the complete information for correcting vision as determined by the optometrist. Things like distance between the eyes and position of the pupils is determined by the optician who measures you for both frames and centering of the prescription. When you use an online service as your optician, you lose that fine-tuning of fit.
All you have to do is ASK for your pupil distance and they will give it to you or measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
I work for a non~retail optical co.(23 years), and what you posted is solid truth. Most people never contemplate the vast range of vision correction prescriptions; it's not so simple. Sure, a light Rx could be obtained on~line, and as you posted, an accurate PD is paramount!

Anyone needing hi index, progressives, or prism, etc...not happening on line, or cheap.
NOT TRUE! My Dh ordered hi index from Zenni!

1.67 High-Index Single Vision
AR Anti-Reflection Coating
Oleophobic (oil and fingerprint resistant) premium anti-reflective coating

were the add ons he added.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:56 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
a reader or bi focal may work the progressive is costly and get correct measurement.
Mine are progressive lens. Same low price.

I hope folks realize that eye doctors send out to get the glasses made from the same type of place I use to buy directly.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:27 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
My optometrist wanted around $750 for my progressives. I got an estimate from Costco for around $250. Am going to try out Zenni over the weekend. I wear my contact lenses most of the time but I like to have a pair of glasses and my current ones are probably 8 years old.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:42 AM

836 posts, read 1,119,704 times
I wonder about the quality of the frames. A lady I used to work with had vision insurance. She would only select frames that the insurance covered. I remember quite a few times the temple broke and she had to get it repaired.

I used to wear contacts most of the day and would only wear glasses during the evening when I got home. I never had a frame break on me. I eventually got a new pair of glasses which were the progressives for around $700. The frame I chose was Gucci. For me, the problem is finding a frame that fits my face so it doesn't keep sliding down my nose. I have been wearing these glasses all day long, 7 days a week for 2 years and the frame has never broke.

I wonder if certain frame brands are not as good as others. Do you get better made frames if you spend more?

I wouldn't mind trying Costco glasses if the cost is around $250. Nice to have an extra pair of glasses for a change.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:43 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
All you have to do is ASK for your pupil distance and they will give it to you or measure.

I tried that once but they said they don't do that at the Lencrafter's I went to. Their 'gadgets' are so high tech now they say the machine just does everything for them regarding measurements. I doubt that is true (I think they just didn't 'want to' do it) - but I will try once again in a couple of weeks when I am near another Lenscrafter's. Thanks.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:44 AM

836 posts, read 1,119,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My optometrist wanted around $750 for my progressives. I got an estimate from Costco for around $250. Am going to try out Zenni over the weekend. I wear my contact lenses most of the time but I like to have a pair of glasses and my current ones are probably 8 years old.
Do you have vision insurance? Or was the $250 for progressives without insurance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness