Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 04:17 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Jaminhealth, it has to do with your genes, not iodine or OPC's. Breast cancer runs in families, as does diabetes.
It certainly does run in families but for most women who get breast cancer, there is no family history of it.

From what I've read iodine may (but there is no definitive study indicating that it does) help with fibrocystic breast disease (which is uncomfortable but is not in and of itself harmful). Fibrocystic breast disease is not cancer. Mammograms screen for cancer. Too much iodine can cause health problems and can interact with other medications.

If there is something from a reputable source that says iodine can prevent breast cancer, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Old 10-13-2016, 04:23 PM

It is confusing but I'll continue to get one.

I'll repeat a post I made in a different thread.

I have a good friend in her early 50s who is the picture of health, exercised frequently, ate mostly plant-based organic diet and had no history of breast cancer in her family. Went for a routine mammogram and they found early stage breast cancer which was fortunately curable. Her routine screening saved her life.

Old 10-13-2016, 04:34 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
It certainly does run in families but for most women who get breast cancer, there is no family history of it.
True, but readers here who DO have a family history have a much higher chance of getting it, and offering them herbal remedies as a prevention does them no service...they should get that advice from a medical provider, not random people on the internet who swear by alternative means of healthcare. I'm just pointing that out for anyone looking for information...get that information and advice from medical providers, not certain posters on this forum who push herbal prevention for everything.

As from the link below:

What are the risk factors for breast cancer?

"It’s important to note that most women (about 8 out of 10) who get breast cancer do not have a family history of the disease, but:
  • Women who have close blood relatives with breast cancer have a higher risk of the disease.
  • Having a first-degree relative (mother, sister, or daughter) with breast cancer almost doubles a woman’s risk. Having 2 first-degree relatives increases her risk about 3-fold."

Old 10-13-2016, 04:40 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Same thing with paps...I skip every other year now for both.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:38 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
The Breast Cancer UnAwareness Month:

The Dark Side of Breast Cancer UnAwareness Month | GreenMedInfo

Old 10-13-2016, 08:09 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And of course that was written by someone who is also anti-vaccination. Surprise, surprise.

Edit: Sorry, jaminhealth, I don't mean to argue or be mean. Peace.

Last edited by oldgardener; 10-13-2016 at 08:49 PM..

Old 10-13-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
True, but readers here who DO have a family history have a much higher chance of getting it, and offering them herbal remedies as a prevention does them no service...they should get that advice from a medical provider, not random people on the internet who swear by alternative means of healthcare. I'm just pointing that out for anyone looking for information...get that information and advice from medical providers, not certain posters on this forum who push herbal prevention for everything.

As from the link below:

"It’s important to note that most women (about 8 out of 10) who get breast cancer do not have a family history of the disease, but:
  • Women who have close blood relatives with breast cancer have a higher risk of the disease.
  • Having a first-degree relative (mother, sister, or daughter) with breast cancer almost doubles a woman’s risk. Having 2 first-degree relatives increases her risk about 3-fold."
I totally agree. That wasn't my point. My point was that women with no history should not consider themselves "safe" just because it doesn't run in their families.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:

As from the link below:

Agree.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
And of course that was written by someone who is also anti-vaccination. Surprise, surprise.

Edit: Sorry, jaminhealth, I don't mean to argue or be mean. Peace.
You are not being mean, we just think differently and that's called freedom of thinking and speech.

We all come from our lives and journey in life and come to our conclusions on it all.

I don't know of any BC in my family line. I know a lot of women in my circle still get mamms and know many who do not. My daughter quit and she's 53. MD's got her started in her 40's...My neighbor who is now 89, took them for mega years and when we became good friends and discussed health a LOT, she quit them about 4 yrs ago and says she wished she had quit them earlier..but the fear instilled. She also now takes OPC's for probably 6 yrs or so and doses with Iodine.

It's healthy to keep an Open Mind.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-14-2016 at 12:52 PM..

Old 10-14-2016, 06:25 PM

And the doctors are forever saying there is so little radiation going into your body. My daughter was pushed to these in her 40's and now at 53 will do no more.

Experts Now Advise Against Mammograms for Breast Cancer Screening

Mammograms Spot Cancers That May Not Be Dangerous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness