Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 07:56 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The name of the product is deceptive.

Synthroid is more "natural" than dried up pig thyroid.
That entirely depends on your definition of "natural". If natural to you means "created in nature" then pig thyroid is more natural than a chemical synthesized in a lab.

If natural means chemically representative of ONE of the human thyroid hormones then Sythroid is more natural. Just remember, Sythroid is ONLY T4, none of the other components that ARE in NDT.

There's no need to quibble over semantics about superiority - it's really what works best for you.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:26 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
I'm now thinking that back in 1991 when the major depression hit me and lasted for 10 long years that it may have all been related to iodine deficiency. Back some yrs ago, I stopped eating tunafish due to the mercury scare and it all could have been around that time. Hence less sea foods and less iodine and more HypoT.

Trying to put more pieces of the puzzle together but keep coming up for the need for iodine to keep the thyroid healthy. There are some new comments in the Iodine Phobia thread that got me to thinking about this.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:46 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
That entirely depends on your definition of "natural". If natural to you means "created in nature" then pig thyroid is more natural than a chemical synthesized in a lab.

If natural means chemically representative of ONE of the human thyroid hormones then Sythroid is more natural. Just remember, Sythroid is ONLY T4, none of the other components that ARE in NDT.

There's no need to quibble over semantics about superiority - it's really what works best for you.
I am not talking about "what works best for you".

I am merely pointing out that levothyroxine sold as Synthroid and various generics is exactly the same hormone that the human thyroid produces. Just because it is produced in a manufacturing facility does not make it less "natural" than what the thyroid makes. They are identical. The body cannot tell them apart.

The vast majority of people who take levothyroxine will convert it to T3 without any difficulty and will be satisfied with it the same way I am.

The word "natural" is abused by the alternative medicine community in an attempt to market supplements, because somehow "natural" = "good" and "synthetic" = "bad". In the case of levothyroxine, Synthroid is just as "natural" as T4 from the thyroid. They are identical molecules. They work the same way in the body.

Animal Thyroid Supplements for Hypothyroidism - Is It the Safest Option?

"Animal thyroid pills aren't purified, which means that they contain substances that aren't naturally found in humans. Researchers have yet to determine how these substances affect the human body. Synthetic pills, on the other hand, are a pure form of the hormones produced in your body. While they are called "synthetic," these medications are actually identical to the compound (T4) that the body produces naturally."

"The hormone balances in animals aren't the same as humans, so it's difficult to argue that animal thyroid hormones are truly natural for humans."

Old 10-23-2016, 09:09 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,760,101 times
I'm not going to take iodine....I did some research on it after reading about it on the Supplements board a few weeks ago and it doesn't seem very safe to me.

And suzy_q's arguments about synthetic hormones makes sense to me also. Molecules are molecules.

I just wonder if I need a full panel to get a more accurate picture because, as has already been mentioned, the acceptable levels have been changed and from what I've heard from thyroid patients, it is true that some doctors don't even know it.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:29 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,109,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
If I knew back in 1991 when I first suspected a sluggish thyroid and not getting it corrected due to the NUMBERS...I would have taken a low dose of Iodine which I take now but also take thyroid support since 2002. It's so very very complex and there is so much info on how the thyroid gland needs iodine to function. I am learning so much about how vital iodine is for all body tissues. I've posted a lot of info in alternative medicine and one can read all day about the iodine connection to about everything in our body. I'm learning more and more how numbers don't tell anything, we are not numbers we are symptoms.

I went for 10 yrs before my D.O. called in for thyroid support, NO LABS...he knew the numbers were about worthless.

If I were in your shoes and can't get more testing, etc. I would start with 1 drop of Iosol or Lugols and see how you feel and go from there. Or start with some organic kelp as some do before they step to iodine.

https://chriskresser.com/iodine-for-...ine-on-a-fire/

As in Kresser's info, I also take 200mcg selenium daily.

I keep getting amazed with all the info out there on the need for iodine. I speak from a long experience on my own issues.
I'll vouch for Lugols iodine for how it's helped with my 12 year old's Autism symptoms. I'm not familiar with the pathophysiology of Thyroid/Iodine, however.

When my son was diagnosed one of the requested tests was hair strand analysis for Heavy Metals. His results came back showing horrifically high levels of Aluminum. As I understand, iodine does help with the removal of metals from the body. The Lugols was reccomended by my mother; she is a PhD in Biochem & an RD.

It is not a "cure" but it did help minimize some of the more impairing problems that were occuring & with Autism; every little bit helps.

Sorry for going a bit off topic.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:36 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I am not talking about "what works best for you".

I am merely pointing out that levothyroxine sold as Synthroid and various generics is exactly the same hormone that the human thyroid produces. Just because it is produced in a manufacturing facility does not make it less "natural" than what the thyroid makes. They are identical. The body cannot tell them apart.

The vast majority of people who take levothyroxine will convert it to T3 without any difficulty and will be satisfied with it the same way I am.

The word "natural" is abused by the alternative medicine community in an attempt to market supplements, because somehow "natural" = "good" and "synthetic" = "bad". In the case of levothyroxine, Synthroid is just as "natural" as T4 from the thyroid. They are identical molecules. They work the same way in the body.

Animal Thyroid Supplements for Hypothyroidism - Is It the Safest Option?

"Animal thyroid pills aren't purified, which means that they contain substances that aren't naturally found in humans. Researchers have yet to determine how these substances affect the human body. Synthetic pills, on the other hand, are a pure form of the hormones produced in your body. While they are called "synthetic," these medications are actually identical to the compound (T4) that the body produces naturally."

"The hormone balances in animals aren't the same as humans, so it's difficult to argue that animal thyroid hormones are truly natural for humans."
How can anyone speak for the Vast Majority of the people who take levo and they convert to T3 without any difficulty. The Vast Majority could be mega thousands who take Syn!!!!!

I can speak for myself and for the people I know personally..otherwise I could never speak for the Majority.

One friend who is now gone and on Syn for years and "thought" she was doing OK, but finally got an MD to give her NDT and she was so improved.

Truly unbelieveable how some members are so angrily Against supplements, like they should not exist and only pharma drugs should be available...

Old 10-23-2016, 11:30 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The Vast Majority could be mega thousands who take Syn!!!!!
Yep.

Levothyroxine is the most prescribed drug in the US per month; 21.5 million people fill prescriptions for it each month. Not everyone takes the brand name Synthroid.

The 10 Most-Prescribed and Top-Selling Medications

Old 10-24-2016, 08:36 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,977,497 times
The differences between levothyroxine, Synthroid and Levoxyl are in the 'added, supposedly inactive' ingredients. Some people do better on one than another because they may have reactions to the added ingredients in one formula and not another. Unfortunately, those on levothyroxine (the generic) may get different formulations every time they get another supply of same because where/by whom the generics are made can vary frequently. Add that into the mix (of seasonal body requirements, etc.) and it is highly unlikely that most people are going to feel great every day no matter what medication they are on - the 'so-called natural', the 'synthetics' or any combination thereof. Additionally, as one ages our needs change apparently.

I did (I think) best on Levoxyl, up and down on levothyroxine, and am more or less 'stable' but not thrilled with how I 'feel' on Synthroid. And yet, my numbers have not varied much over the years, except seasonally.

My understanding is that very few if any doctors will prescribe Erfa (not Efra) in Canada either - and that it too has been subject to formulation/manufacturing facility changes and fluctuations in efficacy like any other 'drug' - as are any of the ones I mentioned above that I have taken. It may be available but it is not sanctioned on the allowable list of drugs according to my doctor/pharmacy up there. I was told ONLY Synthroid is. My doctor first renewed my Levoxyl prescription (which is what I had been taking in the US) and then it had to be changed when I went to fill it. And I don't use any 'insurance' to purchase these so that was not the reason why Levoxyl is not available to me up there right now ... it is because the government deals with the drug companies directly and secures the 'best bulk deal' for all pharmacies/doctors in that regard. I am certain that Synthroid can't be a 'one size fits all solution' for everyone but right now it is the only one I am told is available where I spend time up there right now - but who knows, that could change the next time the 'contract' comes up for renewal.

I go back and forth between the US and Canada but I had to make a decision where I would secure my healthcare because I am now dependent on the availability of some form of hypo meds - and it isn't good to vary those constantly (according to how I read MY body anyway) - and in neither place where I spend time am I close to a border so I can't just 'hop over' to get a prescription renewed or see a doctor in a different country.

This is a complicated and little understood condition - and I think the reason many doctors (even if they are smart enough to test for and diagnose it) go with the 'numbers' is because they don't really understand it either, and they would prefer to avoid getting sued by going with an industry standard rather than prescribing according to whether a patient 'feels good' or 'doesn't feel good'. Of course there is also the fact that what 'feels good' is quite subjective .. many of us were diagnosed so long ago (and/or we have aged and perhaps don't understand what we should 'feel' like at the new age) that we may not even totally recall or know how we should 'feel' any more. What 'feels good' to me may not be what 'feels good' to you.

The long term complications that can arise also from being under or over-treated are significant unfortunately. This is not an easy condition to manage even with the best of advice and insight and knowledge. It won't kill us today (though one's quality of life can be affected on a daily basis) but its long term implications are horrible if not treated or if mistreated.

And, it really, really matters 'when' you have those numbers taken too because of those fluctuations I keep talking about. For instance, if I go to the doctor for a renewal in mid-winter, he is likely to prescribe a different dosage than he might if I went for that blood test in summer - but the dosage is then good for the whole year in my case (unless I am changed to a different med entirely - in which case I need to go back again in about 3 months for another test and that could be changed based on whatever results show at that time).

Anyway .. I wish any of you who have this condition the best of luck in finding the doctor and medication that works for you. Sadly that is very often difficult to do.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:59 AM

11,138 posts, read 9,769,935 times
I've been hypoT with Hashimoto's for over 35 years. I originally was put on Synthroid and it seemed to be working according to the numbers. I had never had symptoms so I couldn't say if it was working for my symptoms. As my thyroid deteriorated from the attack of my immune system, my numbers dictated higher and higher doses of Synthroid. I developed symptoms for the first time and my doctors just kept upping the dose with no help to my symptoms. I gained weight, my hair was falling out, my skin was dry and cracked, and I had a lot of pain which had no apparent cause.

Eventually I started reading up on my condition and found out about Armour. I convinced my endo to let me try it and we had a little trouble titrating the dose, due to the slow response of the body to changes in dosage. At last we found a dosage that allowed my numbers to remain stable, and my symptoms started to diminish over about 4 months. I have been on the same dose of Armour now for about 20 years with very little change in my numbers (I always request a full thyroid panel, not just TSH), and my symptoms are down to about 10% of what they were at my worst (still have a much lesser version of my "mystery pain", and assume I always will).

When I moved to a new state and had to change doctors my new doc didn't want me to take Armour, she convinced me to try Synthroid again. Against my better judgement, I tried it. What happened was an almost immediate return of my symptoms and my doctor could not find a dose that would keep my numbers from varying widely. A small dose adjustment would send my numbers soaring or plummeting. My hair started to fall out again and I insisted to be put back on Armour. Within weeks my hair loss slowed down and within a couple months my numbers were stable again. My doc and I have found a dose that works for me, and I get tested every 6 months. I will never go back to Synthroid.

Your mileage may vary.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:11 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,760,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
(still have a much lesser version of my "mystery pain", and assume I always will).

What kind of "mystery pain" do you have? I have those also!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.