Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 03:37 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All I can tell you is that I took Cipro for a full week with no immediate issues, but a few months later, both my achilles tendons fell apart and had to be surgically repaired. No injuries. They just both sort of dissolved. My orthopedic surgeon said it was almost certainly from the Cipro.

Since then (this was several years ago) the FDA has issued a series of more and more strident warnings regarding Cipro and its fluoroquinolone cousins stating that they are typically over prescribed and should be used much more cautiously than originally thought.

Good luck. Hope your luck is better than mine. But at least I do have two cool matching scars.

If you have ANY joint or tendon pain, swelling, weakness, etc. get to a doctor ASAP and be sure to tell them that you took Cipro. I waited longer than I should have because my doctor didn't connect the dots and just told me that I had "tendonitis" for months and months til I finally switched doctors. The second one ordered an MRI immediately and scheduled surgery for the same week. My Achilles tendon was severely damaged by then and literally hanging by a thread. (The other one was not as severe.) I still have more problems from the first one than the second because of the long delay in surgical repair.

Also, there are other long term effects that you should be aware of, so be sure you google fluoroquinolones and be aware of any possible complications and symptoms of such. Some are very serious (for instance, some heart valve issues) and some, like neuropathy, can be permanent.
That's the damage I've heard about these drugs too. Thank goodness for digestive enzymes/probiotics .

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-25-2017 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 03:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All I can tell you is that I took Cipro for a full week with no immediate issues, but a few months later, both my achilles tendons fell apart and had to be surgically repaired. No injuries. They just both sort of dissolved. My orthopedic surgeon said it was almost certainly from the Cipro.

Since then (this was several years ago) the FDA has issued a series of more and more strident warnings regarding Cipro and its fluoroquinolone cousins stating that they are typically over prescribed and should be used much more cautiously than originally thought.

Good luck. Hope your luck is better than mine. But at least I do have two cool matching scars.

If you have ANY joint or tendon pain, swelling, weakness, etc. get to a doctor ASAP and be sure to tell them that you took Cipro. I waited longer than I should have because my doctor didn't connect the dots and just told me that I had "tendonitis" for months and months til I finally switched doctors. The second one ordered an MRI immediately and scheduled surgery for the same week. My Achilles tendon was severely damaged by then and literally hanging by a thread. (The other one was not as severe.) I still have more problems from the first one than the second because of the long delay in surgical repair.

Also, there are other long term effects that you should be aware of, so be sure you google fluoroquinolones and be aware of any possible complications and symptoms of such. Some are very serious (for instance, some heart valve issues) and some, like neuropathy, can be permanent.
Thanks. One of my kids warned me about the tendon problem, and I've acquainted myself with possible severe side effects. I hope I do not have that problem. I actually have taken Cipro before, years ago. But not in these amounts.

One warning I read was to pay attention to mysterious popping or snapping when I flexed my limbs. So far, I've had none of that.

I really do appreciate hearing your experience; I will pay attention. I hope for the best. Sheesh-- heart valve problems!

Old 10-25-2017, 04:15 PM

10,891 posts, read 7,386,537 times
I've taken both, though never together.
Sometimes the relief happens within a few days, other times it gets better for a while after I finish the pills.

Negative stuff, may not apply to OP:
I took flagyl for 7 weeks; I now have permanent neuropathy in my feet. If you start to go numb, stop taking it and talk to your doctor.

But if you don't have problems, please TAKE THE FULL COURSE you have been prescribed. If you only take it for a days, you may be strengthening some strains of harmful bacteria, which cannot be controlled by current antibiotics. This is how we got MRSA.

Antibiotics kill all kinds of bacteria, and can leave the field open for nasty ones like C.diff. It's a good idea to take probiotics along with the antibiotics. Take them every day, and for several days after you finish your prescription.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I've taken both, though never together.
Sometimes the relief happens within a few days, other times it gets better for a while after I finish the pills.

Negative stuff, may not apply to OP:
I took flagyl for 7 weeks; I now have permanent neuropathy in my feet. If you start to go numb, stop taking it and talk to your doctor.

But if you don't have problems, please TAKE THE FULL COURSE you have been prescribed. If you only take it for a days, you may be strengthening some strains of harmful bacteria, which cannot be controlled by current antibiotics. This is how we got MRSA.

Antibiotics kill all kinds of bacteria, and can leave the field open for nasty ones like C.diff. It's a good idea to take probiotics along with the antibiotics. Take them every day, and for several days after you finish your prescription.
I have not missed a dose. Only 2 pills to go, which will be taken tonight.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:55 AM

280 posts, read 674,948 times
I have just gone through the same thing with the same meds. The flagyl definitely made me tired but that improved a week after finishing the course. I am drinking some kefir every day for the probiotics and have sauerkraut a couple times a week. I wonder if there are other things that can help prevent diverticulitis - kombucha or other fermented things?

Old 10-26-2017, 06:18 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,317,831 times
I don't know what or how much I was injected with (multiple times) at the Urgent Care Center, but I was given 700 mg. of Cipro to be taken twice a day when I went home. After taking only 2 pills for one day, I got ringing in my ears and double vision in one eye, and stopped taking them immediately. After researching Cipro adverse reactions, both conditions are considered severe and rare.

The ringining in my ears went away 24 hours after stopping the medication, but the double vision took months to clear up.

I did read somewhere that Cipro should not be given to those over 60 due to complications. I was 62 at the time.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:34 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I don't know what or how much I was injected with (multiple times) at the Urgent Care Center, but I was given 700 mg. of Cipro to be taken twice a day when I went home. After taking only 2 pills for one day, I got ringing in my ears and double vision in one eye, and stopped taking them immediately. After researching Cipro adverse reactions, both conditions are considered severe and rare.

The ringining in my ears went away 24 hours after stopping the medication, but the double vision took months to clear up.

I did read somewhere that Cipro should not be given to those over 60 due to complications. I was 62 at the time.
Cipro doesn’t come in 700mg.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:00 AM

5,866 posts, read 11,924,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Cipro doesn’t come in 700mg.
It was probably 750mg - that was what i got the first time I was diagnosed.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:21 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael21214 View Post
I have just gone through the same thing with the same meds. The flagyl definitely made me tired but that improved a week after finishing the course. I am drinking some kefir every day for the probiotics and have sauerkraut a couple times a week. I wonder if there are other things that can help prevent diverticulitis - kombucha or other fermented things?
How about digestive enzymes and probiotics for diverticulitis prevention and FOODs that are causing harm.

My dad had a BAD case and it was just about life and death...he NEVER took care of his body. Mom was left to "fix and pick him up"...

Do a search:

What to Do To Prevent Diverticulitis

Old 10-26-2017, 11:10 AM

Michael - fermented things are supposed to work. My doc suggested kombucha, kimchee, sauerkraut. The right kind of fermented milk product would also help. I intend to buy Kefir today, and old fashioned sauerkraut.

Jaminhealth- my doc and my DH's old gastro told me that no one knows the cause of diverticulitis. I do intend to stop eating any seeds I cannot chew up. This is a major change for me.

I did not get double vision or ringing in my ears. I did have some balance problems and my digestion is definitely a mess now. I also have had a terrible taste in my mouth.

I need to get back to eating fresh and I am starting with fruit which I seem to tolerate better than veggies.

I am 70. I was prescribed these meds. No one said anything about my age in relation to this medicine. If they did not prescribe Cipro and Flagyl, what would they prescribe instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness