Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 01:36 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
You are wrong about that. It's highly contagious.
Well, sorta...but...Actually those fungi are ubiquitous and there is nothing (short of living in a bubble) that you can do about that. Do you know what "ubiquitous" means? It means they are always present in some numbers. And, they are!

Fungal skin infections are opportunistic things. At times, people become susceptible where previously they weren't for reasons often unclear. Chronic wet skin is often the cause but sometimes its just an immune system quirk where the organisms are allowed to proliferate and invade. Traumatized skin is certainly a risk factor (i.e., chafing).

I chuckle at people walking around shower rooms in zories. Zories or not, unless you dip those feet in Clorox at some point you've accomplished little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 01:52 PM

264 posts, read 191,110 times
It's confirmed, the new cat has ringworm. So I definitely have ringworm. Three weeks of meds for both cats, lab work x2 for the old cat, new one still stays sequestered. Oh what fun. I can't wait to talk to the rescue about this now.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:17 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Well, sorta...but...Actually those fungi are ubiquitous and there is nothing (short of living in a bubble) that you can do about that. Do you know what "ubiquitous" means? It means they are always present in some numbers. And, they are!

Fungal skin infections are opportunistic things. At times, people become susceptible where previously they weren't for reasons often unclear. Chronic wet skin is often the cause but sometimes its just an immune system quirk where the organisms are allowed to proliferate and invade. Traumatized skin is certainly a risk factor (i.e., chafing).

I chuckle at people walking around shower rooms in zories. Zories or not, unless you dip those feet in Clorox at some point you've accomplished little.
Thanks (?) for educating me. I've been a Family Nurse Practitioner since 1980 and my husband is a top rated M.D. and has been in practice as a doctor for much longer than I've been practicing as an F.N.P.

But, whatever.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:47 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Thanks (?) for educating me. I've been a Family Nurse Practitioner since 1980 and my husband is a top rated M.D. and has been in practice as a doctor for much longer than I've been practicing as an F.N.P.

But, whatever.

Cool. I'm board certified in a "AOA only" know-it-all MD specialty and a PhD to boot. 35 years. But...like you say, "whatever."

There are a lot of misconceptions about the causes of dermatophytoses. Hence, my post.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:58 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Cool. I'm board certified in a "AOA only" know-it-all MD specialty and a PhD to boot. 35 years. But...like you say, "whatever."

There are a lot of misconceptions about the causes of dermatophytoses. Hence, my post.
You are the one who wrote a condescending post directed towards me - asking me if I knew what the word ubiquitous means - among other things.

Hence, MY post.

Old 05-12-2018, 11:16 AM

264 posts, read 191,110 times
I really envy those who have gotten rid of this with little effort.

After weeks of treating my one spot (which was kept covered simply because it's under underwear anyway), weeks of treating the cats, weeks of washing towels and clothes daily, and cleaning obsessively in general, I have 2 more confirmed spots. One is again in the bikini area, the other is on my upper arm, which was completely covered by sweatshirts when it started (thought it was a bug bite at first).

The original spot is deemed cured by the dermatologist but I'm treating it anyway since there's another just 2" away.

I am obviously highly sensitive to it.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:47 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
I had ringworm, no big deal, some cream and it went away.

Now scabies, yikes, those things are terrible.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:54 AM

840 posts, read 774,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitis456 View Post
Sure, but considering I have one spot (under my underwear), can it be caught in that manner or does there have to be skin to skin contact? Or if I touched the spot and then touched someone else? I am trying to make sure I can continue to work etc. I mean, spores are not flying willy nilly around me, are they?

What I meant by it doesn't surprise me is considering the issues I've had with the cat from the rescue, her having an additional issue does not surprise me. It pisses me off yes, but does not surprise me at this point.

What are you treating the giardia in the cat with? I had dogs with giardia who would NOT swallow the vet's pills. I read they weren't very effective anyway, so looked up natural remedies. Turned out I had 3 on my shelves: MSM; GSE; and Coconut oil. I gave them all three, & fed them 3x instead of 2x daily, and within a week they had gained back their weight! . . . I also know of someone who's including MSM (bio-available sulfur) in their cat's diet to help them get over ringworm, based on a hunch they have. After all, one main treatment for cats is lime-sulfur baths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness