Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 11:21 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I used the term, "defacto ban" Kathryn. That's means it not an official ban but it acts like a ban. If the government has made it impossible to get the drugs that's like a ban, right?
It would be if that was happening. Medicare not covering it (some plans do) doesn't = a ban, unless the highly expensive antibiotics they don't cover do as well. They didn't cover my mother's oxygen at home and there is no war on oxygen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 11:48 PM

These companies make so mad. I googled oxymorphone since it was mentioned here. The company reformulated it and wanted to market it as abuse-deterrent. Which it was not, so the FDA said no, you may not label it as such, but allowed it to go on the market. Being greedy, they wanted the original formula to be deemed as unsafe so that generic versions would have to go off the market and they could make all the money on the new version.

There are a lot of angles to look at here. The makers of Opana ER wanted people to only have the choice of their more expensive version, which causes many people not to be able to afford it.

For the man in the article who said his insurance won't cover it anymore, perhaps that meant this newer more expensive formalization (that has no benefits over the original) and he could get the original in generic form, which would be more affordable.

The fact that the brand name is not on the market is due to the makers (Endo) taking it off the market themselves. Wanting only to manufacture the new version.

please note: The pharmaceutical company petitioned the FDA to tell a lie, that the original was removed for safety concerns. Nope, it was their own greed.

https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety.../ucm562339.htm

THEN, the FDA removed the new version entirely, but people can still get the original.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:57 PM

Reading more,,,,,,,,apparently the new formula caused more abuse problems than the old. And higher health consequences OF abuse:

The FDA’s decision is based on a review of all available postmarketing data, which demonstrated a significant shift in the route of abuse of Opana ER from nasal to injection following the product’s reformulation.

Quote:
Quote:
Injection abuse of reformulated Opana ER has been associated with a serious outbreak of HIV and hepatitis C, as well as cases of a serious blood disorder (thrombotic microangiopathy). This decision follows a March 2017 FDA advisory committee meeting where a group of independent experts voted 18-8 that the benefits of reformulated Opana ER no longer outweigh its risks.
Again, the original formula was NOT removed. Oxymorphone IS still available, just not this re-formulation by this manufacturer.

https://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsr.../ucm562401.htm

Old 11-13-2018, 03:48 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It would be if that was happening. Medicare not covering it (some plans do) doesn't = a ban, unless the highly expensive antibiotics they don't cover do as well. They didn't cover my mother's oxygen at home and there is no war on oxygen.
There are zero plans that cover my generic lunesta sleeping pill this year and only 5 plans out of 25 that cover oxycontin.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:31 AM

50,799 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
There are zero plans that cover my generic lunesta sleeping pill this year and only 5 plans out of 25 that cover oxycontin.

Luckily since both come in a generic form and can be had for less than $20 even paying out of pocket. I’ve been using generic Lunesta for years with no differences noted. I don’t think that’s about pain it’s about money. They stopped coveting my migraine meds several years ago which was about $60 a pill. Now it’s in a generic form and is covered but my copay on them is still over $100.00 for 9 pills.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:28 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Jen, I don't know what I am going to do about you. Is the DEA calling your mother's physician and warning him that they will yank his license if he continues to prescribe oxygen to her? Is oxygen a controlled substance? Do oxygen suppliers look at your mother funny and call her an oxygen junkie behind her back? You're comparing apples to automobiles.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Reading more,,,,,,,,apparently the new formula caused more abuse problems than the old. And higher health consequences OF abuse:

The FDA’s decision is based on a review of all available postmarketing data, which demonstrated a significant shift in the route of abuse of Opana ER from nasal to injection following the product’s reformulation.

Again, the original formula was NOT removed. Oxymorphone IS still available, just not this re-formulation by this manufacturer.

https://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsr.../ucm562401.htm
I challenge you to find any doctor in America who will write you a prescription for Opana, jen. Do it just to prove to all of us I am wrong and you are right.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I challenge you to find any doctor in America who will write you a prescription for Opana, jen. Do it just to prove to all of us I am wrong and you are right.
Well,it's off the market,so no,it's not going to be available. Oxymorphone ER is still on the market. GoodRX has good prices if insurance doesn't cover it. https://www.goodrx.com/oxymorphone-er

Old 11-13-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Well,it's off the market,so no,it's not going to be available. Oxymorphone ER is still on the market. GoodRX has good prices if insurance doesn't cover it. https://www.goodrx.com/oxymorphone-er
Well, it's academic since at this time you couldn't get a doctor to write you a prescription for ANY version of Opana you desired if your life depended on it. This goes back to my assertion that the DEA is terrorizing doctors into not writing anything that smacks of opiate. Even Tramadol, a Schedule 3 is in their line of fire now. And then it will be benzodiazepines. I have that on good authority.

The Federal govt is going berserk in their zeal to make any mood-altering substances illegal and one has to question what the Federal agencies' real reasons are for destroying innocent people's lives. What's in it for them? Here's what a respected pain management physician, Dr. Forest Tennant had to say. The DEA recently shut him down too, one of the last pain management physicians left:

Quote:
In your June 2018 issue, Dr. Tennant stated: “Multiple federal agencies have made it clear that any physician who prescribes over 90 MME/day will be taking on serious legal liability. Many, if not most physicians throughout the country will no longer prescribe above this level, and many physicians have stopped prescribing even small amounts of opioids.
https://www.practicalpainmanagement....edefining-pain

Old 11-13-2018, 09:06 PM

You're not understanding the difference between the brand Opana and the drug oxymorphone ER. I explained all that above with links. There is no ban on oxymorphone. The brand name Opana is off the market. Their choice. They could go back to manufacturing the original formulation. Probably isn't enough money it it for them, they wanted the new version with the patent and the profits. Now people can get still get generic oxymorphone ER.

To retell the story, Endo, as many pharma companies do, wasn't satisfied with profits when the patent ran out for Opana ER. They made a new formulation with a bright and shiny patent. The new formulation was intended to be marketed as 'abuse-deterrent'. Which it really was not, so the FDA wouldn't let them market it that way, but allowed it on the market.

This didn't help Endo with their profits. They wanted that new drug to be the ONLY one on the market. They wanted the cheaper generics to be unavailable to the people with pain they care about so much.

They asked the FDA to say the original formulation was taken off the market due to safety concerns, which was not true. Endo just wanted it gone.

THEN, the new formulation had ALOT of problems. Their attempts at making it 'abuse deterrent' actually made the abuse problem WORSE. AND causing secondary disease.

SO, the FDA had to boot that formulation,but here's the good news: Oxymorphone ER is still available from other manufacturers! The only loser in this is greedy Endo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness