Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 09:46 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,258,273 times

Advertisements

I've had a really bad stretch of insomnia the past two weeks and I'm at my breaking point. Is there anything I can do?

I have a hard time falling asleep, and then after an hour or two i'll wake up, usually around 1 AM, then I'm up until like 4 or 5 AM.. then I have to get up for work at 7 AM although i luckily can stretch it until about 8 AM but then I'm usually late to work.

I feel like I do everything I should - put the phone away around 8 PM, i have a cup of sleepy time tea around 8 PM too, i stop drinking any liquids after the cup of tea, my room is dark because i have black out curtains, the room is usually a good temperature and i also use a big fan for white noise. So I have no idea what to do at this point. Even 10 mg of melatonin isn't helping, neither is smoking weed which usually knocks me out.

At this point it's just anxiety about getting sleep. It's like a vicious cycle.

I'm debating buying a weighted blanket but they cost about $150 so i'd like to try other things before i try that.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 11:07 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,811,026 times
OP: Have you looked at any of my info on my sleep remedy. 10mg melatonin I believe is a gross amount. And in my opinion, not the way to go. My melatonin dose is 1mg with my other stuff I've posted in Alt Med area. I know we are all unique but some things do work for many.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-22-2018 at 11:26 AM..

Old 10-22-2018, 11:23 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,592,287 times
Are you exercising during the day? It may seem impossible on that little sleep but I bet walking a couple miles would help (but not near bed time). Maybe try reading a book before bed or a hot bath (or both). 10mg melatonin does seems excessive as I’ve never used more than 5. I have a coworker who swears by 2 Tylenol pm and 10mg melatonin every night but I have no idea how safe that is. I’d call your doctor and see if maybe a short course of ambien to get you back on the right track could be useful.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Are you exercising during the day? It may seem impossible on that little sleep but I bet walking a couple miles would help (but not near bed time). Maybe try reading a book before bed or a hot bath (or both). 10mg melatonin does seems excessive as I’ve never used more than 5. I have a coworker who swears by 2 Tylenol pm and 10mg melatonin every night but I have no idea how safe that is. I’d call your doctor and see if maybe a short course of ambien to get you back on the right track could be useful.

I do exercise, i either go for a run or go to the gym for weights, usually around 6 PM for an hour.

Yeah I think I'm going to try the book thing tonight. I'll try reading an hour before bed. I love reading so that's definitely a change i can make. I just wonder if that will help worth a shot.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: Have you looked at any of my info on my sleep remedy. 10mg melatonin I believe is a gross amount. And in my opinion, not the way to go. My melatonin dose is 1mg with my other stuff I've posted in Alt Med area. I know we are all unique but some things do work for many.

can you direct me to your thread about sleep remedy?

Old 10-22-2018, 03:11 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,900,074 times
My doc told me 5 mg melatonin was the max dose to safely take. It works by lowering your body temp so you don't want to lower it to much. You may find some relaxation tapes help.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:19 PM

28,122 posts, read 30,041,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
At this point it's just anxiety about getting sleep. It's like a vicious cycle.
This is exactly what I deal with. The second I lie down, I find myself starting to stress out over how long it's going to take me to fall asleep.

I don't know if you've tried Ambien or not, but that stuff works. I absolutely, positively, definitely would not recommend you take it every night, as it is habit forming, but a 5mg. tablet once or twice a week should not cause any dependency. I actually even cut a 5mg. tablet in half and take 2.5mg. a couple of times a week. It just feels so good to go to bed and know that I'm going to fall asleep right away and wake up refreshed.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:21 PM

23,423 posts, read 19,043,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
I do exercise, i either go for a run or go to the gym for weights, usually around 6 PM for an hour.

Yeah I think I'm going to try the book thing tonight. I'll try reading an hour before bed. I love reading so that's definitely a change i can make. I just wonder if that will help worth a shot.
Exercising can rev your system up for hours. Has the time you can do it changed? What else has been going on during the 2 weeks? There's probably something. Of course the more you expect to be unable to sleep the worse it can get.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:31 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,981,260 times
what helps me to sleep is to think about a problem.
not an actual situation in my life, but generic questions.

last night, it was the Sun's distance from the Earth.
93 million miles/150km. how many feet is that?
how long would the Sun's light take to reach Earth?

non-math...name all the musical compositions
by the Beatles in alphabetical order by title.

no complete answers...i fell asleep.

Last edited by turkeydance; 10-22-2018 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-22-2018, 06:27 PM

3,073 posts, read 2,059,596 times
1. Stop exercising that late in the day
2. At bedtime take generic Diphenhydramine-sleep aid 10 mg. This is the active ingredient in Benadryl so super safe but do not drive or operate machinery after taking it. 20mg is also available or just take (2) 10 mg. Available at Walmart for about 12 cents per capsule.
3. Don't stay in bed if you stay awake. Book I read about getting to sleep said you need to make your bed and bedroom an oasis that your body/mind starts getting sleepy because you are in there. Don't watch TV there, don't internet there, don't look at your phone etc. Only thing you do there is sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness